Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
so does OpenTracing do everything prometheus does, or should i be running some combination of OpenTracing + logging + metric collection? like is there some tracer i can plug into OpenTracing to make it pretend to be prometheus, or do i need to do that separately

also, how long does e.g. Jaeger keep traces around? are they created on-demand, or built up from some sort of in-memory thing, or... whatever

basically i'm a little confused about the practical difference between logs vs metrics vs spans/tags vs traces

keep in mind i don't really know what i'm talking about

animist fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

yard salad posted:

lol we just replaced our JMS-driven event bus with a kafka/zoopkeeper solution. the entire enterprise publisher/subscription config process is still an email to the one guy who knows how it works.

you send a message and eventually you get a response. sounds like any other distributed system to me imo

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just use grep

animist
Aug 28, 2018
is there a good way to identify bottlenecks in a bunch of short-lived cloud spot instances? prometheus has pushgateway which seems ok but i haven't tried to actually set it up yet

animist
Aug 28, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you want tracing, not just metrics.

hm, yeah probably. well i don't need anything right away anyway

animist
Aug 28, 2018
its because you've lived a life of sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

motedek posted:

a recruiter told swim datadog is creating a special task force to reduce cloud spend lmbo

:thunk:

poo poo guys what are we gonna do with all this data