Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Progressive JPEG posted:

avoid counters imo

counters are fine if they reset on a boundary like 30 seconds. then you can get a rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also we write all our metrics to a kinesis stream and consume them elsewhere to put them in an influxdb database, which is queried using grafana.

doesn't have any perceptible overhead.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

uncurable mlady posted:

influxdb more like refluxdb because it gives you heartburn trying to run it

i fired it up and its been running since, seems braindead simple?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

r u ready to WALK posted:

influx is easy until you start trying to customize it with rollup policies, multiple retention schedules and other things that aren't part of the default settings

out of the box it just keeps everything forever with full detail instead of doing coarse averaging for historic data, which works pretty well for home setups with a couple hundred metrics on a minute interval but not so great with thousands of servers sending tens of thousands of metrics every few seconds.

yeah we don't use the real-time metrics for anything than just monitoring. so we set the retention policy to 3 months and call it a day.

we have a few metrics that are condensed from a continuous query but they never have a problem?

only issue we ever had was when someone decided to use a random GUID as a tag and polluted a DB but it wasn't a big deal, i just deleted them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
opentracing is cool

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
you want tracing, not just metrics.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we use the opentracing api for everything and use jaeger as our backend which feeds it into elasticsearch

its cool when someone used a constant sampler (samples every trace) and we were producing 10gb of traces each day in our test environment.

pro-tip: use a probabilistic sampler or something that says "sample 5% of traces" instead.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
a good idea is to make it configurable at run-time so you can adjust it in cases liek that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
no i mean, that it can be adjusted. like you have some sort of external way of updating the values. that way you can just send a command to reduce the sample rate

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

my stepdads beer posted:

vector.dev looks nice

it looks neat but also they have these performance comparisons and they aren't even close to feature complete, yet.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm picturing someone calling a customer service rep with billing questions and the person on the line saying "hold on for one second, sir" and then SSHing into a server and grepping logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
hell yeah