Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

avoid counters imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

kafka is about 1000x times shittier so count your blessings

kafka is extremely good, maybe your just holding it wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

works fine on my machine(s)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

if you run multi-tenant clusters where people are doing compaction and exactly-once and theres 10000 different consumer groups then its a total shitshow

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe your just holding it wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

please watch these broken dashboards/alerts, and absolutely never under any circumstances fix any problems you find

maybe ask manager why they aren't empowering you to maintain the things you depend on to do your job

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

datadog gets very sad if you have lots of tags/cardinality

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the code that's writing the log should also be writing to a database

efb

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pardot posted:

i want to send structured logs/events at some service that I wont have to janitor. the events will mostly be an entity with one or more uuids, and then some info like state changes, maybe some timestmaps or durations, idk. Nothing automated needs to consume this, just sometimes a person will do a search on the uuids to figure out what happened. I only need like 7 maybe 14 days of retention and the volume of incoming events wont be so high. Probably like 1gb/day, for sure less than 100. Only like 5 people will need access.

what service should i use?

given just a gigabyte a day and only occasional use, it could honestly just be a set of hourly text files with regular backups that they would grep

if you're feeling fancy then write as a gzip stream and tell them to use zgrep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

which mutually incompatible version of influxdb did you go with