Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

here's my log story:

we couldn't figure out what the gently caress was going on because the genius that wrote these service components logged every single work step, including the ones that just said "sleeping for 1 second", so our logger was completely jammed with useless stuff. also stuff that was actually a problem was sometimes logged as info

solution: lets stop logging so much trace poo poo! why not use the log level configuration per-environment to set this! it'll be great!

what actually happened: all logging got disabled completely and now we can't tell what the gently caress is going on, but in a new and exciting way!

also our logger is some home rolled poo poo that nobody knows how to install anymore so we have to hope it never breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lancemantis those were some good posts that I can relate to a lot

i spent 2+ hours this week on calls while various auditors asked to "take a screenshot of the code that would log an error" so that "we can check that data flows from system a to system b"

they got some poor fucker to sit there grepping logs while the screenshot that too. they asked me if I could 'show them a log of a message' and I said "we don't retain them because that would be pointless"

they also implied that we should archive all logs indefinitely so they could screenshot them from 6 months ago which is the last time we had an actual error what the actual gently caress