Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if you're sending logs to a managed provider like Datadog, but some fraction of the logs contain transactions that you want to hang on to for billing questions, do you just have a cron job pull out the info from Datadog and put it into your own holdings?

I see most providers center around 15-day stuff, so I like I'm thinking about it wrong if I want to hold on to some things for 30-90 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I hear you all on that, but then if the log is essentially the audit trail of what happened, I'm struggling to figure out how to do it differently without it looking like a log...

Are people running local logstash then forwarding to a log MSP, and then running extraction jobs locally for business records? Or are you saying something like I should install a callback to an ERP or something for every transaction?

I appreciate the info.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my CSR would write a perl script for that

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
is there a good explainer to opentelemetry or is it one of those "if you have to ask it doesn't solve one of your usecases".

playing around with building a new distributed application and trying to figure out if I should read more since we've seemed to change how we yeet info for monitoring, logging, and coordination

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

well you’re in luck

I wrote a book about it and it’ll be out next month! https://learningopentelemetry.com

but im also happy to just explain whatever. the basic concept of otel is that all of your telemetry signals should be correlated through hard context (trace ids, etc) as well as soft context (standardized metadata)

very cool, thank you and preordered