Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember the backlash this game got and boy were people mad that it wasn't the Second Coming of Christ.

Or even as good as the initial previews of the game were. There was a lot of other shady poo poo that went on where Inafune suddenly found a publisher despite being on Kickstarter which understandably made people upset.

quote:

I'm honestly, thoroughly baffled at how badly people play this game on average. Maybe the mechanics are somehow beyond their grasp, or something, but now that I'm making these videos, they don't have an excuse anymore.

I'm curious to see this because honestly I found this game to be really half-baked across the board. It has some neat ideas, but they are not as original as Comcept likes to think they are and frankly a lot of the game just left me thinking of "I could be playing Megaman ZX right now, a much better and more innovative game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The game really does fall apart in the final levels IMO. There is some straight-up bad design there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Your're right but has there been a Wily Fortress in the Mega Man series that hasn't been trash garbage?

It's definitely an imported issue from that series.

I do admit a lot of Wily Fortresses tend to have too much of a love affair with insta-kill spikes and other horseshit but at least you still have all your tools to tackle them.
Eh, we'll get to that part when we get to it. I will admit it's the nadir of the game, I was just shocked at how amateurishly bad it was coming from people who ostensibly made Megaman.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm aware you're mad that I stepped all over your pet ideology before, but yes, I do think that you shouldn't limit artistic expression simply because some people may not be able to consume it.

There are many visual effects, character designs, story ideas, and even basic concepts that not everyone can consume or appreciate. Asking someone to alter their design to fit with an unintended demographic is egotism at its best.

Making you game more accessible to a wider audience can be done without a compromise of vision. Crosscode promises challenging gameplay (and delivers (and scrubs do indeed need to :gitgud: AND USE THE drat COMBAT ARTS-)) but also has a slider which adjust enemy dmg and puzzle difficulty in the options.

Mario is trying to do away with the lives system because honestly it's an archaic system and kind of sucks. Like bashing your head against a puzzle and losing coins is punishment enough in Mario: Odyssey.

If you cannot do this with your game...perhaps you just made a bad game? Like I sympathize with the spirit of your point: no, we shouldn't account for absolute morons like DSP. But let's not poo poo on accessibility cause why don't we make devs challenge themselves to make their games available to a wider audience?

And Omni's friend had a broader point: this game is ugly and drab. One thing you could never accuse Megaman of was drab, this was a series that had details right down to the tiny platforms you stood on. Everything was as bright and vibrant as technologically possible. Here? Well just look at the boxy cars in the level with no other details. Look at the rain effects that serve nothing but to give a grey filter to the screen. I don't know why this game looks so unpolished but it's not at all attractive. Especially after the Zero, ZX and especially the StarForce series. And the Zero series came on 8 mb cartridges.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 4, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really don't think the way you teach a player alone should qualify a game as good or bad.

Sure, but it is a brick in the wall, especially for games with the Megaman pedigree, a series famous for simple controls and a wide variety of weapons. Like we all saw the JUMP AND SHOOT video right?
There's a reason why Megaman X is so loved by the fanbase and devs and why every megaman game now has a highway level. It's a simple control scheme that is used for a wide variety of challenges. And the game never offers tutorials on it.
Megaman classic is even simpler; you just have a jump, a basic shot and you can slide.

Later Megaman X games build on this concept with new X armors, sure, but the core mechanics are always present because they're simple yet versatile. It's one of the reasons why games like X6 and X7 suck; they feel clunky and unpleasant to play, CERTAINLY not the only reason, but it is a major one.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really don't think the original Mega Man games deserve praise for some of those things, as they seem downright accidental at times.

I won't deny that's true to a point, yes. The quality oscillates depending on a lot of things, how willing Capcom was to experiment and how willing they were to put effort into their games because lol capcom sequels.

MN9 takes Mega Man and gives it a rhythm coat, more complex mechanics, and spices up the movement. That may not be what people wanted, but I'm still pretty adamant that it's a good game.

That's what I'm trying to tell you, it really kinda doesn't. The air dash is basically Model HX's airdash from Megaman ZX. A later character also has HX's hover function, and even does a challenge similar to one in Hurricane's stage in ZX. And this game doesn't feel nearly as good as ZX to play and nobody could understand why. It's not like the game doesn't acknowledge it's inspirations with the highway stage and especially Ray who is basically genderbent Zero.
IntiCreates also made ZX, so I don't get why this feels so bad to play. I'm fine with dashing through enemies, hell that was pretty much how I killed 90% of the enemies in ZX (HX Dash + hit the sword button) and they were clearly trying to build on that concept but...I dunno it feels way more stiff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dynatron's level is deffo one of the better ones, I'll give you that. Megaman X games always had neat power plant levels. This one has the bonus of actually using the lights as part of the challenge to navigate in the dark, so yeah no complaints from me. And look at that, the floor and the walls have the neato Tron lines, you have those cool glass corridors and so on. Those twin buzzsaws are some Kaizo bullshit but other than that yeah.

The weapon usage meter slowly going back up was a feature added only in ZX Advent and that was a legitimately nice touch, especially given how many loving forms that drat game had.

Chimera-gui posted:

Now Inafune seemed more like someone who wound up getting in over his head after not being involved in game development for years and thus not knowing that gaming has moved on from when he was making Mega Man X than an outright jackass but consideration for your potential audience is not a new concept contrary to popular belief, see the end of Red's video on A Christmas Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofiD-cD4LH8

Like I told OP, that's the damned thing though. Megaman X was far more innovative than this and it's obvious the devs took inspiration from ZX, which was an even more innovative game. So they deffo worked with people who knew what they were doing. I think I would be a lot kinder to the game if it was a Kickstarter done by a fan, but with the kind of pedigree MN9 has I expected more. Keep in mind We're in the more interesting levels, we have yet to get into the more disappointing ones.
OP might be right if we were just talking about the original Megaman series, but we've since had X, Zero and ZX.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 13, 2019