Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mark of the Lion

History of Charles Upham, the only combat soldier who ever won two VC's and lived to tell about it.
It's a great book, because the guy is completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

haha wow Shelby Foote was court martialed out of the army in WW2 for falsifying motor pool documents after stealing a jeep to visit his future ex-wife who left him for the Bockscar bombardier.

I think we may have a new candidate for Mt. Gipmore

gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Neptune's Inferno

I just finished this one. Guadalcanal seems to get a little less attention than Pearl Harbor, Midway, or Leyte Gulf, but it's arguably as important as any of them. Hornfischer is an excellent author. He takes the difficult task of looking at a chaotic, confusing and rapidly changing environment and creates a narrative out of it, complete with a lot of personal stories without turning it sensationalist. He also casts a very fair eye on the actions of both the Americans and the Japanese without letting nationalism get in the way. If military or naval history interests you even remotely, this and his other - Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - are absolutely worth your time. Bonus points for the picture of the New Orleans with her entire bow blasted off but still afloat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of oral histories, I'm reading The Good War. Its one of the most gripping things I can remember reading.