Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Tango War: The Struggle for the Hearts, Minds and Riches of Latin America During World War II by Mary Jo McConahay. Fascinating look at what was going on in central and South America during the war. Massive German colonies in Brazil, Mexican oil fueling u-boats, Orson Welles making an epic film that was suppressed, it’s a great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mark of the Lion

History of Charles Upham, the only combat soldier who ever won two VC's and lived to tell about it.
It's a great book, because the guy is completely insane.

Picked this up and it is excellent, thanks for recommending! Late in battle for Crete had a bullet in his leg, dysentery, and an arm wound and still led a group to scale a cliff near the evacuation beach to rain bren gunfire on a German advance party to take out like 40 guys.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking of oral histories, I'm reading The Good War. Its one of the most gripping things I can remember reading.

Oh for sure, one of the best war histories ever. Especially as it came out in the mid-80s so far more figures were still around to be interviewed. Working is another masterpiece from Terkel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah highly recommend The Good War. I think the thing I loved most about The Good War was that it did a really great job of hammering home that its easy to forget in hindsight how uncertain things were for the first year or two of the war. Terkel’s oral history on the Great Depression, Hard Times, is quite good as well.

Japan at War by Haruko Taya Cook and Theodore Failor Cook is in a similar vein from the Japanese perspective and quite good as well.

Oh for sure. Lots of political histories pre-war are fascinating when they discuss how strong the isolationist movement was or how FDR had to be clever about aiding the UK. I liked in the Truman book how they mention immediately after Pearl Harbor how one of the previously non-interventionist senators had a dismayed expression as he quickly voted in favor of all war legislation.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

gohuskies posted:

It is a great book. It's so interesting to see the perspective of somebody absolutely convinced that they are winning and he's serving in the baddest-rear end navy on earth, and slowly realizing that these Americans might know what they are doing and that we might be, uh oh now we definitely are, losing.

I wonder if for a time like 39 to early 41 he could objectively have been considered to have been in the baddest-rear end navy. Overall I’d guess the Royal Navy was still stronger but I remember reading in Shattered Sword how for a time the Japanese navy’s carrier strike force was the strongest weapon around.

Kinda related but a great thing about these forums is being able to drop in the military history thread in Ask/Tell and get expert answers without being made to feel stupid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Burning Beard posted:

Coldest Winter is great because of the non stop dunking he does on MacAurthur

I just finished Ian Toll's Pacific Crucible and learned that despite having nine hours advance warning after Pearl Harbor, nearly all of MacArthur's air force in the Philippines was destroyed anyway as he was too disorganized/incompetent to take steps to prepare for the incoming Japanese. Also he went with a "repel them on the beaches" strategy which was absolutely the wrong call as they didn't have the set up for it and led to many defenders being wiped out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol was about to quote and say the same thing :hfive:

Currently reading through Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy, specifically The Conquering Tide right now, and it's really really good. It's on par with Rick Atkinson's Liberation trilogy.

Heck yeah “currently reading The Conquering Tide buddy” :hfive: just got past the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Heck yeah “currently reading The Conquering Tide buddy” :hfive: just got past the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands.

Just finished this one, highly recommended for helping make the events in the pacific easy to follow. A standout part was a summary of a major Japanese airplane factory not being built near an airfield or rail line so oxen had to haul planes dozens of miles, and when 20 of the 50 oxen died it caused slowdowns. Meanwhile the US mega fleet is having 80 or so planes make water landings after a successful night attack went beyond fuel limits, and nearly all pilots were recovered and quickly in fresh planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

elsanto posted:

A while back, someone in one of the GiP threads posted a link to an account by (I think) a Wehrmacht combat engineer who was an eye witness to the Warsaw Uprising. The Dirlwanger assholes figure prominently. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You may want to ask in this thread, they know everything: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461