Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I notice that the old war literature thread went into the archives. I'm after some recommendations for new books to read so selfishly, this new thread has been created.

I've can recommend the following books. You've probably read most of them.

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser
A recounting of his experiences in Burma during WW2. I got a real sense of the characters who served with him and it is telling that he held onto his hate for the Japanese long after the war ended.
Fraser wrote the Flashman series and his ability as a storyteller shines through here.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
A troubling semi-biographical novel about a Marine Lieutenant in Vietnam. This book hit e hard and is a must-read.

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam
This is the only history of the Korean War that I have read but it is great. A really good balance between fact and drama.

Blind Mans Bluff by Christopher Drew and Sherry Sontag
This book was recommended to me by this forum. It made fantastic listening while I jogged in the Cornish countryside. Describes declassified sub-operations during the Cold War, very tense and I was hooked.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
The {possibly) true-life memoirs of a Grossdeutchsland Division soldier from WW2. Even if it isn't true it is very affecting.

and for balance, here is a book to avoid.

Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford
Ex-SS men turn up in Vietnam and fight in the Foreign Legion. Among other things they are super efficient, defeat Viet Cong political officers in debate and tie hostages to jeeps to prevent them being fired on. We could learn a lot from the Nazis when it comes to fighting insurgencies.
Sickeningly pro SS and laughable with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

That is the point the book tried to get across. "The French had no idea how to deal with insurgents until we showed them how it was done in Russia and the Ukraine."
I certainly don't agree with it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

uh the nazis dealt with partizans by just killing villages so no I don't think we could learn anything from the loving nazis

Look at what I put directly beneath that statement
Sickeningly pro SS and laughable with it.

I'm not agreeing with what the Nazis did, I totally disagree with it.
That is the books stance. That is why I put it down as a book to avoid.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Relentless Strike: The Secret History of JSOC by Sean Naylor

A very good, unapologetic look at US Special Operations starting at the Iranian Hostage Crisis. I think it had been recommended in a previous version of this thread and I seriously, SERIOUSLY thought most of the poo poo y'all said about SEALs were exaggerations. This book, combined with Not a Good Day to Die by the same author about Operation Anaconda made me realize that no, they're just loving bugshit crazy/stupid.

I bought this due to the recommendation in the previous thread. It is a very good book.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I've now finished everything I have in my bookcase. So here are a few recommendations.

The Long Day's Dying by Alan White

A pretty rare book but is available fairly cheaply on eBay. The author was a commando in the Second World War and I think it is loosely based on his experiences. A very quick read but intense in a psychological way. I definitely found it interesting. A movie adaption was filmed in 1968

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Day%27s_Dying
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13261634-the-long-day-s-dying

Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

I bought this book a few years back on the recommendation of this forum. A very good read and I might give it another go. It is about the various special operations groups that took part in operations in Iraq.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relentless-Strike-History-Special-Operations/dp/1250014549

...and some military Sci-Fi that I have read.

Passage At Arms by Glenn Cook

Submarine warfare in space, a very tense book which I think is a classic. A lot of people in the Book Barn Sci-Fi thread appreciate it, but I don't think it has the appreciation it deserves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-at-Arms-Glen-Cook/dp/1597801194

We All Died At Breakaway Station by Richard C Meredith

It would be fair to say that this book has a few issues. its treatment of women definitely dates it, they are effectively sex objects or incompetent. However, the alien psychology of the protagonists is well thought out and the central idea of troops being patched up with any technology available and sent back out asap is quite horrifying. I do have my reservations about the material but it was still a good read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/585516.We_All_Died_At_Breakaway_Station

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Came across another recommendation that might appeal. For some reason, the chap who posted it refuses to post here. So I did it for him.

quantumfoam posted:

Just finished reading a amazingly stupid book.
It's non-fiction but totally fits here since I refuse to post in the Gip subforum.

Book is called The spy who couldn't spell by Yudhijit Bhattacharjee.

The titular spy was an idiot senior NCO in the US Air Force that managed to score a no-uniform required dream posting at the National Reconnaissance Office, then proceeded to gently caress everything up by being peak enlisted_stupidity.txt 24 hours a day/7 times a week/365 days a year.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Burning Beard posted:

Coldest Winter is great because of the non stop dunking he does on MacAurthur

Not to mention Ned Almond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

my morning jackass posted:

Coldest winter by halberstam is great. Best and brightest is also an absolute must read by him.

I also second this. Bought the book for my dissertation.