Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Can anyone recommend something about Simon Bolivar or about the Latin American wars for independence? I have access to a university library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sad King Billy posted:

I notice that the old war literature thread went into the archives. I'm after some recommendations for new books to read so selfishly, this new thread has been created.

I've can recommend the following books. You've probably read most of them.

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser
A recounting of his experiences in Burma during WW2. I got a real sense of the characters who served with him and it is telling that he held onto his hate for the Japanese long after the war ended.
Fraser wrote the Flashman series and his ability as a storyteller shines through here.

This one was absolutely great. Thanks for the recommendation.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can't remember where Achilles in Vietnam by Jon Shay was recommended. I think it was in Zeris' old moral injury thread back in the upper Cretaceous. In any case, wow, what a great read. Powerful and insightful. Shay is a psychiatrist who worked extensively with nam vets suffering from PTSD and moral injury. The book draws on the descriptions of the war experience of those vets and draws comparisons against classical narratives (especially the Iliad) of going to war to examine causes, effects, and suggestions for healing for the psychological trauma of combat. Highest recommendation for any of my fellow brokebrains here

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 25, 2020