Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue is a series of video games envisioned as a multi-chapter martial arts epic by visionary creator Yu Suzuki, known for such games as Virtua Fighter, Space Harrier, Out Run, Afterburner, Hang On, and other arcade classics. Shenmue is considered by many to be his magnum opus, a passion project of immense details and proportions, and has garnered an intense cult following ever since its debut on the Sega Dreamcast in 1999. Originally starting life on the Sega Saturn, and envisioned as a sort of Virtua Fighter RPG, Shenmue's development moved on to the Sega Dreamcast and became the most expensive game ever produced at the time. Needless to say, it under performed, leaving the saga unfinished and the possibility of any further games a distant dream. Until now.

Shenmue at its core is an adventure game, set in the 1980's and focused on recreating a time and place in meticulous detail. In many ways it is the progenitor of many gameplay conventions we see today, while at the same time being quite unlike anything else that has come before or since. Perhaps its closest modern day analog is the Yakuza series, which was undoubtedly heavily inspired by Shenmue, in that both focus on being able to explore very detailed recreations of cities and engage in slice of life activities therein. Both also feature a focus on hand to hand combat, in this case taking heavy inspiration from Yu Suzuki's previous work on the Virtua Fighter titles.

Houses and rooms can be explored top to bottom, from opening individual drawers to taking picture frames off of walls. NPCs all go about their own schedule and activities, each featuring their own unique, fully voice acted dialogue. You can shop at convenience stores, buy capsule toys from gacha machines, drink a soda from a vending machine, take on part time jobs, find a secluded spot to train, go to the arcade and play video games, walk the town and talk to people. Places open and close depending on the time of day. The weather changes. It's an ambitious series that was unlike anything that had ever been seen in a game at the time.

Shenmue follows a young man, Ryo Hazuki, on a quest to avenge his Father. This sets him on a journey that will take him far from his home town, where he will meet friend and foe alike, and learn of a greater prophecy that foretells the dangers he will become embroiled in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-MK4599A8

On a snowy day in late 1986, Ryo comes home to find a mysterious black car outside the dojo where he lives. Inside the dojo, Ryo's Father is confronted by a mysterious man in Chinese garb called Lan Di, who swiftly incapacitates the both of them. Lan Di demands the location of a "Mirror", before finally killing Ryo's father and leaving the dojo with the artifact in hand. Ryo swears vengeance, and begins his investigation in tracking the man down.

Shenmue II sees Ryo arrive in Hong Kong on his continued quest to avenge his Father. Featuring much larger environments and several quality of life improvements, such as the ability to skip time forward if you arrive at an objective too early, Shenmue II takes the comfy hometown feel of the first game and plants it squarely into fish out of water territory. Released on the Dreamcast initially in territories outside of the US, it would not see a US release until Microsoft interested Sega in releasing much of their upcoming titles on their debut console, the Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiMxzzo88g

Currently the best way to experience the first two games of the series, 2018 saw the rerelease of Shenmue I & II, now in one package in HD resolution, on Steam, PS4, and Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ta_Oi51hso

Announced as a Kickstarter project Sony's E3 2015 conference, fan's wildest dreams came true. After more than a decade, Shenmue III would be realized via the most successful video game kickstarter campaign in history. Shenmue III will continue the saga where Shenmue II left off all those years ago, coming to PS4 and PC on August 27th of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Reserved to collect Shenmue III media and info here.

In the meantime, here is a fantastic collection of virtually all the information we know about Shenmue III so far: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-iii-all-the-facts-and-information-thus-far.41/

man nurse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 25, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

New info from the recent Shenmue III cover story in EDGE

Here's the scans: https://imgur.com/gallery/rJAQ5sv

Pertinent info from the article can also be found in the link provided in the previous post. We should also be recieving a new trailer in early March, so get hyped!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I bought the ticket so let's see where this ride goes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Time for Suzuki's wild ride

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

We're hours away from a new trailer and new info, happening at the Magic Monaco Press Conference.

I helped back this game the instant it was announced, as I'm one of those people who've been clamoring for the story to continue ever since the credits rolled on Shenmue II. I don't think I need to tell you how excited I am right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

man nurse posted:

We're hours away from a new trailer and new info, happening at the Magic Monaco Press Conference.

I helped back this game the instant it was announced, as I'm one of those people who've been clamoring for the story to continue ever since the credits rolled on Shenmue II. I don't think I need to tell you how excited I am right now.

Likewise. I'm going to replay I and II soon, and by that I mean instead of looking for a black car a tattoo artist sailors the man who killed my father, I spend my entire allowance playing Space Harrier in the arcade.

It is deeply bonkers in the best way that we're getting a new Shenmue game in Space Year 19.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The old health bars are back, baby!

C'mooonnnn trailer

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
trailer meant to be coming around 5-6pm CET.

hearing stuff about how Choubu was originally planned for 50 npcs and now its been expanded greatly and the whole game as around 500 npcs.

edit: goddamn just looking at that shot and i've got "earth and sea" stuck in my head now

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

hearing stuff about how Choubu was originally planned for 50 npcs and now its been expanded greatly and the whole game as around 500 npcs.

They're actually doing that many unique NPCs? :hellyeah: That was insane and awesome in Shenmue II.

The old health bars, I still can't believe this game is real and happening, fuckin' awsome!

My wife played Shenmue for the first time a couple of months ago, we coincidentally are playing through Shenmue II now, we're super hype.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdxYOYAmvEGX

there about to show the trailer right now. poo poo stream quality tho.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yeah thats shenmue combat. wonder if theres more, it was a mix of story stuff i was trying to ignore.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Here's the new trailer. Kinda underwhelming, but there's voice acting this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ddI21WyRc

man nurse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 9, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

no date at the end of that trailer like the last one... :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Initial impressions are the animation looks janky and the NPCs look cartoonish and exaggerated compared to the previous game's attempts at hyper realism. Still, I'm gonna play the gently caress out of this game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

animations look okay to me, could be all the ps3 yakuza i've been playing recently tho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks fine to me, it's basically Dreamcast graphics updated to look modern? Anyway it's cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also nothing about the first two games was 'hyper realistic', they looked like a 3D 80's shounen manga

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Also nothing about the first two games was 'hyper realistic', they looked like a 3D 80's shounen manga

I disagree? Pretty much every NPC was meticulously detailed and designed to look like A Real Person. This is outside of the main characters like Ren, Shenhua, Joy, etc

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

come a long way since those trailers from the past few years.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

man nurse posted:

I disagree? Pretty much every NPC was meticulously detailed and designed to look like A Real Person. This is outside of the main characters like Ren, Shenhua, Joy, etc

chai?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly, the faces are a little wacky but I don't mind it so much. The trailer showed off some proper Shenmue-y feeling stuff, wandering around the village, asking people about stuff, doing favours for freaky old dudes so they teach you their kung fu, I'm genuinely p excited about it for the first time in ages.

Now if someone can get Yu to give up on making another 2 or 3 of them after this one we'll be gold

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

hes already said this wont be the last one, only question is if 4 will be another kickstarter or properly funded this time by deep silver/sega.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's gonna be "Never made ever" most likely

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know this sounds backwards after having waited so long, but I'm genuinely happy he's not compromising his original vision and just ending the story prematurely. I want Shenmue as he envisioned it. If that means waiting for a fourth game that may never happen, so be it. I'm just glad we're getting even this. After that, we'll see.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

man nurse posted:

I know this sounds backwards after having waited so long, but I'm genuinely happy he's not compromising his original vision and just ending the story prematurely. I want Shenmue as he envisioned it. If that means waiting for a fourth game that may never happen, so be it. I'm just glad we're getting even this. After that, we'll see.

I can see that, and I was happy to back the Kickstarter on day one when we were all pretty sure it was never even gonna come out. Personally I was hyped that we'd see some kind of satisfying conclusion after all these years, and I know I'll probably have a blast with 3, but it's still gonna bug me that we'll almost certainly never avenge Ryo's father and have our big climactic battle with Lan Di and go hang out with Nozomi again.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I can see that, and I was happy to back the Kickstarter on day one when we were all pretty sure it was never even gonna come out. Personally I was hyped that we'd see some kind of satisfying conclusion after all these years, and I know I'll probably have a blast with 3, but it's still gonna bug me that we'll almost certainly never avenge Ryo's father and have our big climactic battle with Lan Di and go hang out with Nozomi again.

If you want my two cents, I would wager that we WILL see a sort of conclusion to the revenge arc in this game. The previous trailer at the very least shows him finally confronting Lan Di. I just think the scope of the story as a whole is supposed to extend past that point. There's other, bigger-badder Chi You leaders and the whole prophecy with the mirrors thing. I think Ryo's lust for revenge and the growth he undergoes in his journey towards that end is just a piece of it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That'd be cool, I think I could live with 3 ending the Lan Di storyline and the cliffhanger being "But wait, theres more magic swords and poo poo!"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hands-on gameplay report of Shenmue III

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/14/shenmue-iii-preview-nearly-two-decades-later-still-a-one-of-a-kind-experience

Some main points to take away:

-Not every NPC is able to be interacted with this time, but the game probably contains more voice acting than even the previous titles.

-You can still search drawers and random objects

-You will be able to play dress-up with Ryo and acquire new clothing for him

-Lucky Hit is back, as well as other gambling mini-games, including turtle and frog races

-You will need to eat food to restore stamina/HP

-There are selectable difficulty levels

-There is an affinity system with Shenhua

man nurse fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 15, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Another gameplay preview:

https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/12/shenmue-3-preview-gameplay/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

And a new Yu Suzuki interview:

https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/gameblog-fr-interview-with-yu-suzuki-magic-19.1033/

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It blew my mind when I realized this song was made using shenmue sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

Specifically, everyone's favorite crate carrier, Delin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-AXuqkL7WQ&t=36s

WUUUUUUH HUUUUUGH

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I replayed Shenmue 1 for the platinum 2 weeks ago and today I finally completed Shenmue 2’s platinum. I really liked 2 right up until the 3 hour epilogue. There’s way too much filler in Guilin with running through the forest. Either way I’m excited for 3 and I think you guys making GBS threads on the art in it are nuts. Go back and play 1/2, they look just like 3 is shaping up to be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The end of 2 is the way it is because they really want to get you invested in Shenhua, a character they've been teasing since the intro to the first game, but by that point you've been playing it for hours and are just like 'get on with it!!!'

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You know that fight with Chai in the arcade that you're normally supposed to lose where Fuku-San comes in and recuses you? For the first time ever, I totally whupped Chai's rear end in that part and got the alternate scene where he runs away and you rescue the arcade owner. :clint:

It opened up some new dialogue with the NPCs that I'd never heard before. You can ask the people in Dobuita if they saw where "that skinhead" went.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

omg. i actually never got too far into lisa but lmao this is fantasic. WE'RE PUTTING IT DOWNNNNN

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

man nurse posted:

You know that fight with Chai in the arcade that you're normally supposed to lose where Fuku-San comes in and recuses you? For the first time ever, I totally whupped Chai's rear end in that part and got the alternate scene where he runs away and you rescue the arcade owner. :clint:

It opened up some new dialogue with the NPCs that I'd never heard before. You can ask the people in Dobuita if they saw where "that skinhead" went.

that's cool, so many little things you can still find years later.

i started up my re-run of 1 so i can finally get through 2 (i never finished it back in the day) but i keep getting pissed off with certain things not triggering or triggering differently to how i remember/want my perfect save file. like the 3 blades i somehow managed to skip completely and go straight to the father of the barber so i restarted and now i cant get the old lady to show up at the start.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

that's cool, so many little things you can still find years later.

i started up my re-run of 1 so i can finally get through 2 (i never finished it back in the day) but i keep getting pissed off with certain things not triggering or triggering differently to how i remember/want my perfect save file. like the 3 blades i somehow managed to skip completely and go straight to the father of the barber so i restarted and now i cant get the old lady to show up at the start.

Are you talking about the old lady who's looking for a certain family's house that you can help out? I think you have to get to Yamanose on the first playable day really early for that to happen. If you fart around in the house and it gets to be past like 11 or 12, I don't think she appears after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

dont mean the bump the thread without any new info, but daaamn. walking around Dobuita at night, with the bloom on, while it snows is just so loving chill and calm. just good vibes. i did the fight in the parking lot too so i got the new wandering around town music and its just so relaxing. hd collection is great once the bugs were sorted and the sound volumes tweaked to hide the compression artifacts.

trying to get the park fight going before i do the tattoo stuff (because not sure if it causes it to miss) but it needs to be sunny day and it sounds like I've got two straight days of rain to get through first and i dunno what im gonna do to kill time cept for listen to all these tapes at the hot dog stand.

also speaking of, which points were the disc swaps again? cant remember when disc 2 starts but i feel like its soon. does the hd version let you know?