Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

no refunds apparently

they just straight up don't give a gently caress lmao. Hope the payday was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the resetera thread is loving hilarious right now. plans of suing and all kinds of poo poo. calling suzuki a grifter and reporting the kickstarter as fraud. lmao peoples minds have melted.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean, it is kind of lovely that they offered it for Steam and then just did a 180 prior to launch. I won't pretend it isn't.

But it's still Shenmue III. If you're a fan, should it matter all that much which platform it's on? If they decided to switch to Epic in order to get more profit from sales or whatever, so be it. Isn't the game succeeding more important than what program you have to launch to play the game?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly this anger is real and its a huge shame the way that the Shenmue team/Deep Silver has responded to the whole situation. The situation here is that people were promised the game on steam, but they just did this deal with Epic for very obvious reasons (the money). I think everyone can see through this and it will affect post launch sales. Metro Last Exodus had reportedly very low sales after they pulled the same thing (but this is a kickstarter game so its even messier).

I just don't know if its going to be worth it in the long run for them. Its creating a huge animosity between the fans and the staff.

man nurse posted:

I mean, it is kind of lovely that they offered it for Steam and then just did a 180 prior to launch. I won't pretend it isn't.

But it's still Shenmue III. If you're a fan, should it matter all that much which platform it's on? If they decided to switch to Epic in order to get more profit from sales or whatever, so be it. Isn't the game succeeding more important than what program you have to launch to play the game?

This flies out the window the moment you promise something, but then pull the rug from under them last minute. People do not like when they don't get what they were promised and paid for. In this case: Steam version of Shenmue 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, no doubt this has dealt a serious blow to the PR machine and the game itself. It alienates not only fans who backed it, but new players who have no interest in using EGS. It's a bad move all around.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://shenmue3.deepsilver.com/en.html

looks like its just a timed exclusive? wonder if that means if you picked steam in the kickstarter you have to wait another year or something lmao.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m not even upset about it suddenly not being on Steam. I’m upset because it’s exclusively on THAT. There’s other much better storefronts to use that aren’t steam, and it’s loving lovely to pick one of the worst bottom of the barrel lovely stores.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://shenmue3.deepsilver.com/en.html

looks like its just a timed exclusive? wonder if that means if you picked steam in the kickstarter you have to wait another year or something lmao.

the backers are indeed being forced to wait a year I don't see the lol in that. they are the reason there was a game for epic to even buy. the reason they had to kickstart it was because no one wanted to make it. its a huge gently caress you to everyone. you can keep pretending epic didn't just poo poo on people but they did.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

the backers are indeed being forced to wait a year I don't see the lol in that. they are the reason there was a game for epic to even buy. the reason they had to kickstart it was because no one wanted to make it. its a huge gently caress you to everyone. you can keep pretending epic didn't just poo poo on people but they did.

they are not, unless they really really love steam that much and refuse to install another launcher and dont have a ps4. the two platforms are still ps4 and pc.

i mean, this isnt even the first time a kickstarter did something like this, bloodstained straight up had versions canned for wiiu (and i think vita?)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 11, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

they are not, unless they really really love steam that much and refuse to install another launcher and dont have a ps4. the two platforms are still ps4 and pc.

i mean, this isnt even the first time a kickstarter did something like this, bloodstained straight up had versions canned for wiiu (and i think vita?)
the platform surveyed for and sold for almost 4 years was pc (steam), and as of last week when a delay from august to november was announced they were still saying steam

backers are being told they're only getting egs keys, no possiblity of waiting a year for the key they backed and no refunds. i don't see that holding up

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder how much Epic pays out for these exclusivity deals.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

To start with let me repeat this because you ignored it. There. Was no game. For epic. to buy. Without kickstarters. no matter what deals the company makes they owe those people upfront first and foremost.

They already said they arnet giving the backers steam keys but steam is still the most accessable storefront. People don't like Epic. those people have valid complaints. just because YOU don't agree with them doesn't make them any less valid.

if they are a backer they have the right to get what they were offered or to withdraw their funding. (that money has already been spent but they got 3 different sources of funding after players willed it into existence to begin with. so they have tons to give back the 7m in kickstarter funds. its a bad look for the game the company and epic.

as far as Bloodstained...they didn't want to make it on dropped systems that are dead consoles with no support. Steam didn't shut down so your comparison is about as useful as a unicorn fart.

they literally changed their mind last week about it being on steam in a straight up cut and run move as long as there are people saying its ok its gonna keep happening which leads to the question why bother funding the kickstarter if some company is just gonna be able to buy to buy out poo poo and force things on the company the backers have no say over

(the season pass thing became a light rumble because of the epic store thing but this game is gonna suffer the penalty for it.)

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 11, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the bloodstained reference is funny as: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1818045

quote:

How this will work for Kickstarter and slacker backers: The Switch version is now available as an option in the backer survey for anyone who has a physical or digital version of Bloodstained coming, replacing the Wii U version. (Just use the same link you were sent to fill out your survey initially; if you have any problems with your survey, or don’t have your link any more, we can help: e-mail orders@fangamer.com.)

If you selected the Wii U version in your backer survey and you want the Switch version, you’re all set! The Switch version has replaced the Wii U version in the survey, so no further action is necessary on your part.

If you selected the Wii U version and you want to move to a PC, PS4, Xbox One, or Vita version, you can go to your backer survey and make the change now. (Click the "Change Your Survey Answers" link.)

If you selected the Wii U version and don't want any of the Switch, PC, PS4, Xbox One, or Vita versions, you're eligible for a cancellation and refund if you meet all the following criteria:

You filled out your backer survey and selected the Wii U version prior to this update.
You backed at an unlimited tier ($28 to $500)
You are able to receive a refund via PayPal
You submit your refund request before the April 20, 2017 deadline.
If you're eligible for a refund and backed at a tier that included two copies of the game, including the Wii U version, we can also help you adjust your tier to its single-copy equivalent. Refund requests will be processed via PayPal at a later date.

All requests should be e-mailed to orders@fangamer.com with the subject “Bloodstained Wii U refund.” (Please include the e-mail address associated with your PayPal account.)
The shenmue 3 approach is: we told you steam for the past 4 years, the fangamer survey was explicitly a steam copy, just last week we committed to a steam copy after saying we're delaying from august to november. but nevermind that you're taking an epic games store copy - no refunds

there's a few laws against that over here, even if they loudly yell against laws applying to them. there's not even the option left open to change for a ps4 copy, or if there is they're not telling anyone

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1139195241473249280

Uhhhhhh yeah I’m thinking Shenmue 4-7 is never going to happen lmao

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Never say never, after all we're getting Shenmue 3, but yeah, I don't expect this game to be a runaway success.

I've said it before, but I'm glad he's not compromising his original vision here. I want this game as he intended, not some hastily cobbled together conclusion just to be done with it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There’s barely any story in Shenmue 1. It’s miracle that Shenmue 3 was even being made to begin with. I think he really needed to take a step back and just finalize the game because he was granted so many second chances with this game.

This and the epic store thing, yeah I don’t know man. I love Shenmue and all but goddamn just wow

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've heard that they actually had plenty of money for shenmue 3 and the Kickstarter was basically a giant marketing tool (look at how almost all the marketing is done through the Kickstarter)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

I've heard that they actually had plenty of money for shenmue 3 and the Kickstarter was basically a giant marketing tool (look at how almost all the marketing is done through the Kickstarter)

I think it's the other way around, they got more money once other companies took interest and came onboard.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems bog standard these days for games for the kickstarter to be what you take to investors to get the money you need to actually make the game.

As a backer who hasn't been following development I have a feeling this game is going to be a trainwreck, but it's shenmue so it will probably be an unintentionally funny one at least

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbv6YzWjeQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l23uYqOANF8

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 13, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

I wonder how much Epic pays out for these exclusivity deals.

Internet detectives did some math based on the portion of the EGS contract for Phoenix Point that had to go to the investors on Fig and estimated that Epic paid about $2 to 2.25 million in guaranteed sales (meaning they give them the money for those copies upfront and then they only start making more if they sell more than that much.)

That’s a loving insane number for an XCom-like nobody’s heard of, and for sure they gave wayyyyyy more for big titles like Borderlands 3. Epic has been given the golden goose in Fortnite, they’re making a loving absurd amount of money working their employees to death on selling dances they copied from rappers without their consent to literal children, and they plan on using it to strongarm the entire PC market into being theirs as a long-term strategy.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Interestingly, I was watching the EZ Allies impressions video and Huber said that the game looked better than what was shown in these videos, so that's nice. Maybe he played a newer build? Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI6ewATzVs0&t=3520s

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1139195241473249280

Uhhhhhh yeah I’m thinking Shenmue 4-7 is never going to happen lmao

sad_trombone.wav

I've been kinda concerned about this since it funded. It seems kinda wild to me that someone can get this incredible second chance and leave the rest of their story untold.

Maybe when I'm 60 they'll be another nostalgia wave and we'll get a Shenmue 4 Neo-Kickstarter. Which I will, of course, back day 1.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I might feel differently than some since I only played Shenmues 1 and 2 for the first time with the PS4 release, but it strikes me as the kind of story that is as interesting unfinished as it is finished, if not moreso.

"Fragments are the only authenticity" etc.

I still look forward to Shenmue 3 but I'll probably still be satisfied if 4 never comes.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I get that perspective. I just wanna punch Lan Di in his stupid face and go back home to Nozomi

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Are you loving making GBS threads me. I thought Yu Suzuki was a smart enough guy to realize this was a complete miracle and to take this chance to finally finish the story. Rewrite some poo poo, cut out some areas, a good director needs to know when to just cut what he has to.

Edit: all this AFTER ensuring that the game receives a fraction of the sales it would’ve gotten by making it exclusive to a lovely store nobody wants.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmao this has been known since shenmue 1 and 2 you weirdos. let the guy create his loving art and vision in the way he wants as long as it loving takes. the hell is wrong with people wanting rushed poo poo with a bow on top.

its 16 chapters originally then cut down to 11-12ish, shenmue 1 was chapter 1, (chapter 2 got cut because he does know how to cut and edit poo poo, he is not precious about stuff) shenmue 2 was chapters 3-5, shenmue 3 is will probably be 6-8, he said he tried to wrap things up in shenmue 3 but it didnt feel right and figured the fans would not want a rushed story (hes right) and decided to stick to his vision but he said he could wrap things up in shenmue 4 but would prefer to do it in shenmue 5. 4 is probably getting publisher funded.

edit: i mean ffs:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 14, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

they turned the music off for these for some reason and it hurts it, its way better with some temp music, it does so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H473itK2AZc

theres also the gamespot stuff with a Suzuki walkthrough, has some extra scene which do look way better than b-roll stuff we've seen, huber is right, the b-roll is from a much older build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKv68_YTqOM

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 14, 2019

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

My expectation was that he would say “wow getting this chance was a total absolute miracle that will in all likelyhood never happen again.”

He’s saying “well the miracle happened once no reason it can’t happen a couple more times”

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

My expectation was that he would say “wow getting this chance was a total absolute miracle that will in all likelyhood never happen again.”

He’s saying “well the miracle happened once no reason it can’t happen a couple more times”

hes never once said that and has always said 3 would not be the end, its just people assuming poo poo. he is not milking anything and has said there are other ways to get it funded or tell the rest of the story he cant get another game going.

we need more poeple like this in this dumbfuck industry instead we just get endless AAA GAAS bullshit, loving rare for anyone to have and follow through with a grand vision anymore.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 14, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The chapters had already lost all meaning when chapter 2 consisted of "ryo was on a ship"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

The chapters had already lost all meaning when chapter 2 consisted of "ryo was on a ship"

almost as if thats why it was cut. hmm.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't think anyone thinks he's milking it, but saying he has other ways to finish the story when this is the first entry in the series in 18 years and it took an enormously improbable series of events that can't really be repeated is kinda wild. He also doesn't really have the ability to deliver or finish a grand vision cause while there's maybe a shot that shenmue 4 might happen there's no way on gods green earth than shenmue 5, 6 and 7 happen lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao thanks for all the money backers, the only reason my Magnum opus is being made. Now wait a year because Epic is paying us to release on their digital storefront. No, they wouldn't have thrown us money to make this in the first place but oh well.

:blastu:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Incidentally, the lost “boat chapter”, chapter 2, has been confirmed by the devs as having been repurposed for Shenmue 3. So there’s that!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

man nurse posted:

Incidentally, the lost “boat chapter”, chapter 2, has been confirmed by the devs as having been repurposed for Shenmue 3. So there’s that!
That would be kind of weird since Shenmue 2 already references the "lost" chapter 2 like with the mom who thanks Ryo.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I get that perspective. I just wanna punch Lan Di in his stupid face and go back home to Nozomi
Tbh I half expect the franchise to end with Ryo forgoing revenge against Lan Di altogether and just going to Canada to chill with Nozomi.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 14, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the boat chapter was technically there already if you count the comic.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well, regardless, there’s going to be a part on Shenmue 3 where you walk around on a boat and Chai will probably show up during it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I half expect the franchise to end with Ryo forgoing revenge against Lan Di altogether and just going to Canada to chill with Nozomi.
I can imagine it now, an entire game about Ryo trying to work his way through an airport just so he can reach Canada.

It can feature a realtime 8 hour airplane flight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryo completely forgets about Nozomi and joins Tom on his globetrotting hot dog adventures.