Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

They say that new instruments create new sciences - that the development of telescopes created the modern science of astronomy or that better microscopes lead to the development of germ theory - and I think the same is true of the social sciences.

Cybernetics gets into this there is the technology and then the suite of ideas nessisary to use it. Either one could come first and imply the other. So don't just think about in the tech to ideas direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

I have to do something that seems bad to the Enlightenment: use my emotion to analyze the overall timbre of an argument, rather than try to look at it logically, piece by piece.

Reason can look at the gestalt, rationality has to go piece by piece.