Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spanish Manlove posted:

What time in EST does the game unlock and is available to play?
It unlocks when the clock hits midnight in the region you purchased it in - so if you bought from the NA eShop, midnight EST tonight (9 PM the previous day PST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It unlocks when the clock hits midnight in the region you purchased it in - so if you bought from the NA eShop, midnight EST tonight (9 PM the previous day PST)

Thank you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
this game's gonna play and feel like poo poo but still be pretty fun imho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how well does the game run performance wise?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kinda a bummer that the games having been developed concurrently means that a bunch of the improvements made in Arceus apparently didn’t make it into this game.
Supposedly there’s no battle tower either which, uh, sucks. I suppose they could add it in DLC but doubt that’s gonna go over well with the fandom lol.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how well does the game run performance wise?

Apparently it doesn't.

https://kotaku.com/pokemon-scarlet-violet-performance-game-freak-nintendo-1849794943
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/nov/17/pokemon-scarletviolet-review-poor-performance-holds-an-exciting-game-back
https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-review-too-much-pokemon-for-the-switch-to-handle/

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks to get it, then. Footage is looking kinda rough and top to bottom reviews say that's an issue, it's just how much it'll affect your enjoyment.

I'm not that sensitive to stutters and stuff, but i think this might be on my threshold. Like with Bayo 3 i still enjoyed the game but the few times it hit 60 it reminded me how choppy the normal gameplay is.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
To me it seems less that the Switch can't handle the new Pokemon game (though being on Switch certainly doesn't help), and more like modern Pokemon games would run poorly on any platform you put them on

Like the Switch can run big open world games that look better than Pokemon, there's something about the way GF makes Pokemon games that A) makes this happen every single time, and B) makes them seemingly impossible to fix even after they've launched

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Pokémon Megathread: That's okay, I'll still keep playing that garbage.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Truthfully I am a little wary of reviews; I though Arceus was fine graphically, even though I remember most knocking it for graphics at the time. Not good by any means, but not terrible, and certainly not “Negative Value”. Then again I usually play in docked mode so I can’t speak on handheld mode performance.

I remember SwSh running particularly terrible in Wild Areas, so I though Arceus was an improvement overall, however small, which gave me hope for SV. That said, I can certainly wait a few weeks to see where things fall; not like I am suffering for lack of things to play.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m not a big graphics person, but as much as I enjoyed PLA, it was the first Pokémon game that had such glaring issues I couldn’t ignore them. The way your character looks against water or, god forbid, in dimly lit caves… It’s like being haunted by a ghost that artifacts my character.

Sucks to hear SV has so many technical issues.

Still gonna play it though. A lot.

I am the problem!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean the reviews are all "this is one of the best pokemon games ever except for how it runs like dogshit" so it's not like they're overly negative all-around.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently this is on handheld mode but yeah, woof

https://twitter.com/cherrim/status/1593292235222978560?s=46&t=ID_Vc4DQq2Cw_rw6jZxgiQ

I will wait on a patch or two at least

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
ultimately the takeaway for me from the "why do people keep buying Pokemon games" discourse is that no one has managed to make better monster collecting games than the company that makes interactive slideshows - every Pokemon-killer is just way worse despite Pokemon's faults, or just doesn't get why people like this genre. That's why Pokemon remains "playable" despite embarrassing performance

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
A follow up to the previous tweet I posted.

https://twitter.com/cherrim/status/1593324114755915776?s=46&t=ID_Vc4DQq2Cw_rw6jZxgiQ

Gonna wait it out a bit but this makes me feel better.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

there's something about the way GF makes Pokemon games that A) makes this happen every single time, and B) makes them seemingly impossible to fix even after they've launched

I've said it before in this thread, time crunches and budget aside, GF is just fundamentally incapable of making a modern game. They're stuck in 1998.

They've also got absolutely no reason to up their game. This IS them upping their game

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The main problem with "pokemon killers" is that they don't have pokemon in them. There have been a few very nice attempts, but no kid gives a poo poo because it doesn't have pikachu or any of the other characters from the massive media franchise.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Glad to hear the game runs fine docked. Still hope for a 1.0.2 patch, but I was the guy who didn't really care about how bad the Wild Area looked in SwSh, so :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s a massive snowstorm about to bury Western New York overnight tonight and I ordered a physical copy of SV at GameStop with trade-in credit. Will I get it tomorrow?! Only time will tell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Deified Data posted:

ultimately the takeaway for me from the "why do people keep buying Pokemon games" discourse is that no one has managed to make better monster collecting games than the company that makes interactive slideshows - every Pokemon-killer is just way worse despite Pokemon's faults, or just doesn't get why people like this genre. That's why Pokemon remains "playable" despite embarrassing performance

Pokemon is a corporate multimedia brand before a videogame series. If it ever gets totally supplanted it's going to be by a combination of that finally running out of steam and a company with better longterm planning than Level-5 making something that catches on with the same demographics at scale, not an indie dev making something that beats the games on design merits.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Deified Data posted:

To me it seems less that the Switch can't handle the new Pokemon game (though being on Switch certainly doesn't help), and more like modern Pokemon games would run poorly on any platform you put them on

Like the Switch can run big open world games that look better than Pokemon, there's something about the way GF makes Pokemon games that A) makes this happen every single time, and B) makes them seemingly impossible to fix even after they've launched

I read someone with the game already clipped through a cave wall and saw the entire world was being rendered. Gamefreak's gamedev team apparently doesn't know what occlusion culling is.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lacrosse posted:

I read someone with the game already clipped through a cave wall and saw the entire world was being rendered. Gamefreak's gamedev team apparently doesn't know what occlusion culling is.

how do you tell the difference between "the world is being rendered because GF don't know to stop rendering things that should be invisible", and "the world is being rendered because the rendering engine knows those things are visible because you clipped through the wall"? If the camera has gone through the wall then the things being drawn aren't occluded by the wall any more.

after all it's not the job of the rendering engine to know where the player is meant to be and where they are not meant to be.

You could presumably tell easily enough while in the void whether it's doing backface culling (recalling noclipping around in Quake back in the day)

The reason why nobody has made a "pokemon killer" I suspect is partly about the sheer momentum and headstart Pokemon the franchise has over anyone who wants to compete with it, but also because Pokemon is so successful at being many things to many people (a stamp collecting game, a game where you make friends with cute animals, a turn-based strategy game, a card game, an anime) and if you want to compete at the same level you also have to be all those things.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
God bless early adopters.

You poor poor motherfuckers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lacrosse posted:

If you're on the other side of the occluding wall, it's not being occluded, is it? Also, occlusion culling is really more of a local thing. In an open world game, you wouldn't have distant objects loaded in the first place to be able to be culled by the renderer. And performance issues seem to be more related to data streaming than render time. Like that video posted seems to be the game going "oh poo poo I'm out of memory and I need to do the catch animation" and then whatever process that is supposed to quietly free up space for that hosed up and defaulted to unloading everything except the low detail world mesh, and then the game chugged as everything slowly loaded back in. And that sort of thing makes sense to be a problem because that's the hard part about making an open world game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do people get physical copies of games in order to trade them in later? I swear that every release I see a million goons worried about delivery times or something or other than can be alleviated with "just download it"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do people get physical copies of games in order to trade them in later? I swear that every release I see a million goons worried about delivery times or something or other than can be alleviated with "just download it"

Oftentimes the Switch is loaded with other games

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zuzie posted:

Oftentimes the Switch is loaded with other games

Unless you're in third world America with a data cap, I don't see the problem with archiving lesser played games to make space for new ones

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I wanna play a pokemon game but I'm fine waiting. Did any recent pokemon games have any post-launch patches that improved this sort of stuff in a meaningful way? I haven't played any in like the last 10 years so I don't know what's normal for the series nowadays.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I often buy Nintendo games because they can usually be sold for like 2/3rds of the original price so it's like getting the game at a -66% sale on launch

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MoonCrab posted:

I wanna play a pokemon game but I'm fine waiting. Did any recent pokemon games have any post-launch patches that improved this sort of stuff in a meaningful way? I haven't played any in like the last 10 years so I don't know what's normal for the series nowadays.
Sword and Shield had some variant of "Fixed various issues to improve gameplay" in all their patch nodes for 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.3.0,. 1.3.1, and 1.3.2. Only the x.0 patches were dlc (1.1.0 was the fancy Slowpoke and prep for the dlc)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

MoonCrab posted:

Post launch patches are more common now more then ever, and these issues seem to be a thing that can be solved that way, but I imagine that it will take some time for that to happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People seem pretty high on the game tbh.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

I buy physical copies of first party Nintendo games because I know that poo poo will still resell for like 2/3rds of the purchase price years later.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Glad to hear the game runs fine docked. Still hope for a 1.0.2 patch, but I was the guy who didn't really care about how bad the Wild Area looked in SwSh, so :shrug:

The weird thing is that in a GameXplain video I watched last night, he showed to same section of footage docked and handheld. The docked portion had some pretty big framedrops and the handheld ran fine there.

In general I'd found that a lot of switch games ran better handheld (makes sense for a lot of games that would be locked 720p handheld) but who knows with this one. Hope they figure it out! The actual game parts of the game sound like a good fun time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh boy, random chance evolutions (already determined at creation, so saving before evolving won't change anything).
Dunsparce and Tandemaus each have a 1 in 25 chance of evolving to an alternate form (Three-segment Dudunsparce and Maushold with one child instead of two).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Deified Data posted:

It's also, like, a cultural touchstone. People's attachment to the brand is huge, everyone has memories of the games/shows/etc from their youth. You can't just make another pikachu, not without a lot of luck.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hogama posted:

Oh boy, random chance evolutions (already determined at creation, so saving before evolving won't change anything).
Dunsparce and Tandemaus each have a 1 in 25 chance of evolving to an alternate form (Three-segment Dudunsparce and Maushold with one child instead of two).

are there any gameplay differences or is it purely cosmetic?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I went physical because I had trade-in credit and am going to play each version on a different Switch so physical made more sense. Normally I would download it, that’s what I did for Shield and Shining Pearl.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It's also, like, a cultural touchstone. People's attachment to the brand is huge, everyone has memories of the games/shows/etc from their youth. You can't just make another pikachu, not without a lot of luck.

I'm not big on nostalgia (being depressed your whole life tends to get rid of that part of your brain lol) but yeah, it's a lot of this. I know all the gen 1 pokemon. I don't have any connection to the 100 or whatever random monsters that some other random developer tries to shove in my face. So a pokemon-like can't just be a mediocre riff in the same genre because if I wanted that I could just play pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

are there any gameplay differences or is it purely cosmetic?

No stat or level up differences at least.

Maybe there's some weird bonus stuff going on aside from those but I kinda doubt it.