Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
going through my livingdex before Scarlet/Violet comes out and I realized a few things.

1) i never actually finished the DLC and caught Calyrex, lmao
2) i never actually got a zamazenta, only traded & retraded with a friend for dex entry
3) i never got a loving zarude

1 and 2 are really easy to solve, it'll just take me a bit. However, 3 is kiiiiiind of an issue? Would anyone in the thread happen to have a spare zarude that I could have? I'd hack it in myself (because event pokemon are lame) but I only have a homebrewed 3ds, and the funky monkey is switch exclusive.

edit: it just occurred to me that i signed up for the newsletter and everything but nintendo was really bad at actually sending the codes out because they're technologically illiterate. so now i'm even more annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Instead of fixing the fossils they should each get evolutions that streamline them so they look less of a mismash. Fatten up the electric lizard, have the colors be more of a gradiant than a hard demarcation, etc

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here's a question that I didn't notice while I was playing: where do you go to get pants or a skirt because I didn't notice any of that in the main town

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

going through my livingdex before Scarlet/Violet comes out and I realized a few things.

2) i never actually got a zamazenta, only traded & retraded with a friend for dex entry

1 and 2 are really easy to solve, it'll just take me a bit. However, 3 is kiiiiiind of an issue? Would anyone in the thread happen to have a spare zarude that I could have? I'd hack it in myself (because event pokemon are lame) but I only have a homebrewed 3ds, and the funky monkey is switch exclusive.

edit: it just occurred to me that i signed up for the newsletter and everything but nintendo was really bad at actually sending the codes out because they're technologically illiterate. so now i'm even more annoyed.

I never got the newsletter either. I'm still bitter about it. I wanted that shiny Celebi!

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Might have been asked but the thread moves fast.

This is my first time buying digital for a Pokemon game and.. does region switching allow you to play the game once it drops in Japan or Australia?

Not that I'm impatient or anything.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Aristide posted:

Might have been asked but the thread moves fast.

This is my first time buying digital for a Pokemon game and.. does region switching allow you to play the game once it drops in Japan or Australia?

Not that I'm impatient or anything.
It's unlock time depends on the region you bought it in. If you made an Australian account and purchased it from there, it should unlock in 2 and a half hours.

If you bought it on an american account, you are waiting the better part of the day.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Crawfish posted:

It's unlock time depends on the region you bought it in. If you made an Australian account and purchased it from there, it should unlock in 2 and a half hours.

If you bought it on an american account, you are waiting the better part of the day.

Thanks!

Dang my lack for foresight.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blockhouse posted:

Here's a question that I didn't notice while I was playing: where do you go to get pants or a skirt because I didn't notice any of that in the main town

There's a grand total of 4 outfits, all available by default. You press IIRC left on the d-pad? That or right. Don't like any of those 4? Tough luck.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Some pretty brutal technical and performance issues mentioned in basically every review, a bit sad to hear but not really a surprise at this point. It'd be nice for things to improve with patches but seems pretty unlikely based on Gamefreaks's history.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Game is live in Aus regions as of now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Toast King posted:

Some pretty brutal technical and performance issues mentioned in basically every review, a bit sad to hear but not really a surprise at this point. It'd be nice for things to improve with patches but seems pretty unlikely based on Gamefreaks's history.

There was some rough lag/pop-in/shadow flickering in a lot of the videos leaked, I assumed it was because folks were playing on an emulator but I guess not.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

There was some rough lag/pop-in/shadow flickering in a lot of the videos leaked, I assumed it was because folks were playing on an emulator but I guess not.

Yeah IGN review in progress does not hold back

quote:

Aside from its phenomenal shift to a true open world, I’ve had one other major takeaway from my time with Pokémon Scarlet and Violet so far that is impossible to ignore: they are a technical mess. In fact, there really isn’t a moment in these games where I’d say they run well.

The framerate is all over the place, dipping agonizingly low even when only a few effects such as flowing water or weather are on screen. Character models only a few feet away pop in and out, sometimes rapidly, or chug along at stop motion animation speeds. Everything has a weird, shimmery blur to it, and shadows frequently disappear and reappear suddenly and illogically. Pokémon clip in and out of walls or floors at odd angles, or get stuck in them entirely – I spent an entire Gym Battle with one Pokemon halfway buried in the floor. The camera will occasionally clip through mountainsides and give a full view of a video gamey void, sometimes ruining cool moments (like, for instance, the evolution of my Wooper). Everything lags all the time, from battles to menus to cutscenes. Two of our guides writers have experienced hard game crashes. It is, by far, the worst-running Pokémon game I have ever played, and among the worst-running AAA games I’ve played on the Switch so far. And yes, this is with the day one patch.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Jesus christ lmao

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
sounds bad. Gamefreak not giving things enough time in the oven again (or not being given enough control over schedules so they can give things enough time)

I guess I've mostly got tired of PLA now. Racked up 737 hours, got 4 boxes of shinies

I still haven't decided which of SV to get

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hammerite posted:

sounds bad. Gamefreak not giving things enough time in the oven again (or not being given enough control over schedules so they can give things enough time)

I guess I've mostly got tired of PLA now. Racked up 737 hours, got 4 boxes of shinies

I still haven't decided which of SV to get

Same, lol. Every time I think I've decided I change my mind. I wish you weren't locked to uniforms because 90% of my struggle is from liking Koraidon but also liking the violet color scheme.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Whoopsie daisy wrong thread.

Gotta catch em' all?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well that was quick. I'm not even out of the tutorial area yet as far as I can tell.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We are at the point where, outside of large visual bugs, you should assume that any ROM leak footage will look better than the game running on actual hardware for any switch game.

But also Pokemon is Pokemon, oof. It still passes my bare minimum unlike SwSh, but man, this can't continue.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

this can't continue.

Gonna guess the sales figures coming out next week will probably largely disprove that theory I'm afraid.

Not excusing it, obviously but as long as they continue to sell the way they do there's not really much impetus to improve given that these issues aren't new.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MorningMoon posted:

We are at the point where, outside of large visual bugs, you should assume that any ROM leak footage will look better than the game running on actual hardware for any switch game.

But also Pokemon is Pokemon, oof. It still passes my bare minimum unlike SwSh, but man, this can't continue.

People screamed about how lovely SwSh ran at launch and it still sold like ten million copies in the first week, sorry but the majority of people will just shrug their shoulders and buy it anyway.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

an HD Switch game that was given only 2 years worth of development and worked on by roughly half of a staff of a company with only 169 employees (and most of the technical aspects being outsourced to other random studios) has a bunch of visual glitches?

I'm completely shocked, shocked I say.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Spoiler question for people who have played the new games: is it true that the cave lady professor is the villain in Violet and vice versa? And is it also true that you change your ride pokemon for the other game's one at some point?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Scrap Dragon posted:

Spoiler question for people who have played the new games: is it true that the cave lady professor is the villain in Violet and vice versa? And is it also true that you change your ride pokemon for the other game's one at some point?

No. Neither of those things is true.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

I was also signed up for the newsletter but never got Zarude. Let’s hope they release it again in a different way. I hate that there are so many Pokémon you can only get by doing something outside the main game. Online distribution is a thing. Just use it!

I just hooked up Go to Home to get a Melmetal and now I’ve got to go through all this rigamarole to get a Meltan.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I love my pink butt head fire duck

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People screamed about how lovely SwSh ran at launch and it still sold like ten million copies in the first week, sorry but the majority of people will just shrug their shoulders and buy it anyway.

thebardyspoon posted:

Gonna guess the sales figures coming out next week will probably largely disprove that theory I'm afraid.

Not excusing it, obviously but as long as they continue to sell the way they do there's not really much impetus to improve given that these issues aren't new.

Okay, specifically this cannot continue as it impacts my personal enjoyment and should games continue to look like PLA did even as we head into new consoles, I will have to skip games like i did with SwSh and BDSP because i cannot continue playing games that look that badly at full price.

Pokemon can obviously keep continuing like this and sell a few dozen million each time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nanigans posted:

No. Neither of those things is true.

Can you confirm/deny which one is your riding pokemon if you get Scarlet? Its very important.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dienes posted:

Can you confirm/deny which one is your riding pokemon if you get Scarlet? Its very important.

Your ride mon is on the box of the version you bought

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What time in EST does the game unlock and is available to play?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Maybe Gamefreak should use some of the massive profits from selling this game to make the games run less lovely. Maybe they could pay Monolith to teach them how to code?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Guess I'll make the new thread when I get back later. Feel free to suggest thread names or I'll go with Pokemon Megathread: Over 1000 very good dogs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crosspeice posted:

Guess I'll make the new thread when I get back later. Feel free to suggest thread names or I'll go with Pokemon Megathread: Over 1000 very good dogs.

Pokemon Megathread: all pokemon are good pokemon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
pokemon megathread: redchocobo appreciation station [56k no]

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Pokemon Megathread: A Semester in Barthelona

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does this game have variable resolution? I was bothered that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 gets blurry as hell but it runs pretty good and I'd prefer that to chugging and flickering issues.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Maybe Gamefreak should use some of the massive profits from selling this game to make the games run less lovely. Maybe they could pay Monolith to teach them how to code?

Unfortunately they have absolutely no incentive to

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pokémon Megathread: The rain in Spain falls mainly on Gallade

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Crosspeice posted:

Just title it Pokemon. No accent mark or subtitle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pokemon Megathread: We hate everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pokémon Megathread: What's A Pair of Dogs Got To Do With It