Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I would imagine a decent amount of those are for people buying for their partner/children...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I feel like Scarlet actually has the more interesting paradox mons but yeah, the option comes down to which color school uniform you want to wear and orange is my literal least favorite color so I just can't afford to be stuck with it all game. Violet it is!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It's also, like, a cultural touchstone. People's attachment to the brand is huge, everyone has memories of the games/shows/etc from their youth. You can't just make another pikachu, not without a lot of luck.

I'm not big on nostalgia (being depressed your whole life tends to get rid of that part of your brain lol) but yeah, it's a lot of this. I know all the gen 1 pokemon. I don't have any connection to the 100 or whatever random monsters that some other random developer tries to shove in my face. So a pokemon-like can't just be a mediocre riff in the same genre because if I wanted that I could just play pokemon.