Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Grookey is my jam and I am excited to go on an adventure with my monkey pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ometeotl posted:

I am going to be really mad if my enormous water spider friend and enormous ghost bone-twirling friend are stuck in Ultra Moon forever.

They've done it before with special mons like Spike-eared Pichu or Az's Floette

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh yeah, Cosplay Pikachu is stuck too.

I wish Gamefreak didn't keep doing that. poo poo sucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

does anyone know when we're gonna start getting more info on gen 8

Probably in a month or so? They usually stretch the poo poo out until release and we're like 8-9 months out still.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
It can be hard to guess too since a ton of starters basically gain entirely new themes at stage 2/3. Like tell me you'd predict Greninja comes from Froakie or that Litten turns into a wrasslecat

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

Nerds would complain about it being a recycled Lake of Rage Red Gyarados. Which sucks because catching a Red Gyarados owned.

E: is Gen 2 the only generation that had standing single-encounter non-legendary mons? Lapras in Union Cave being the other standout.

Nah, Gen IV had Rotom and Spiritomb. Gen V had Volcarona (though it also had a Larvesta Egg) and Black/White had the weird 1/off Zorua encounter. Gen VI had Snorlax.

Can't think of anything in Gen III or VII off the top of my head except for Kecleon (but there are a bunch of them).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

Would liepard or luvdisc actually be useful in a regular run through OS/AR or Ultra Sun/Moon if I go for one?

Liepard sure. It'll fall off in the late game but I dragged a Gumshoos to the E4 in my first Sun run and he ended up ~okay~ even if he was my team's clear weak link. And Liepard is fast and has status stuff which means it can always be useful.

Luvdisc is like Magikarp tier garbage. Trying to use one is an exercise in hating yourself

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Get used to switching pokemon, because every pokemon that participates gets full exp while the Exp Share is active

Pokemon get full experience for participating in battle regardless of the EXP share in Gens 6/7. The only thing the EXP share does is give them 50% if they didn't switch in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Golisopod is a dishonorable coward who runs away all the time

I think you will find that Golispod makes tactically wise and prudent retreats :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also its super hosed up the best bugs, Scolipede, Araquanid and Volcarona, aren't on your list

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wailord makes a cute anime face and leaps onto your shoulder, killing you instantly.

Wailord is less dense than air. It more likely leaps on your shoulder and gently nudges you as it floats away.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, the only things you'd miss access to are original Ruby/Sapphire and Firered/Leafgreen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Not a mainline game. If we count that we should probably count the Colosseum duology as well

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

it's a gen VII mainline game sis, following FRLG, HGSS and ORAS

No it isn't. Its explicitly called out as not a mainline game in multiple interviews, has a bunch of changed or truncated mechanics and can't trade with the rest of the series.

Its a spin-off. The Colosseum games have way more of a claim to being Gen III mainline since they actually have full mechanics and can transfer back and forth with the other games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

I like him, and his fairy attacks have served me well, but I also would have been happy with the slowpoke you can pick up on like Route 2.

Have you tried to use slowpoke? It is absolutely miserable until it evolves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
??? It would be a normal rear end theme park with people in mascot costumes and rides with pokemon designs slapped on them just like all the Disney parks.

The hell would it not work.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

They're personal reviews, not objective analyses.

Bogleech does get at least one thing objectively right: Lucario is trash.

Also that Gen II is mostly boring garbage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fureil posted:

I've already done a Ghost monotype in Black 2, so for a monotype I'd probably pick a type I haven't done yet. I've done fighting, ghost, dark, dragon, and rock so far.

Normal could be fun as long as something has Scrappy or Foresight.

... Are you limiting your monotype runs to only use moves of their types? Because basically any combo of normal types you put together will have ghost/dark coverage between bite/thief/knock off etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Normals got a ton of fun and fantastic mons in Alola.

Drampa, Bewear, Komala, Oranguru, Toucannon, Faticate...

If you want to mix in older mons you've also got evergreen choices in Staraptor, Snorlax, Wigglytuff, Cinccino, Pyroar etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Why are the G4 cross-generation evolutions just speckled randomly throughout the National Dex :mad: Like there's a big chunk of them from Weavile (#461) to Froslass (#478) and yeah I GUESS Roserade (#407) can go next to Budew (#406) because Budew is a prevolution you find early in the game but why is Ambipom #424? Why is it not next to Masmagius (#429) and Honchkrow (#430)? Why is Munchlax (#446) cordoned off from all the other babies (Bonsly #438, Mime Jr. #439, Happiny #440)? Why?????

Mostly because they National Dex was built off the original Diamond and Pearl dex which was insanely stupid and had a bunch of the new evos/prevos be postgame exclusive or not in the game at all. So they ones that are got earlier dex numbers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

idk either of them

The dude is N, King of Team Plasma. He's basically a fanfic writer's Pokemon OC DO NOT STEAL.

1) So pure of heart he can talk to Pokemon and understand them
2) In charge of the evil team without actually being aware they're evil
3) Tragic backstory with an abusive father figure
4) The ~destined partner~ of a Legendary Dragon

also his real name is loving Natural Harmonia Gropius lmao

The woman is Elesa, Electric gym leader who's also a fashion model. She had two really boring gyms and had some annoying Emolga. Also did gently caress all in Gen V despite most gym leaders actually getting to do poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Filtheon and Garbageon

It would be rude to steal Sylveon's nicknames

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I wish Alolan Raichu had longer arms. Its weird short stumps just look bad.

Otherwise its good as hell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

the pokeball itself is fairly recent iirc, which is a pretty big game changer

Yeah, mass produced Pokeballs are within living memory since Drayden talks about how they didn't exist when he was Iris' age in B/W2. So they're at absolute most 50-60ish years old.

Before that you had Apricorn balls but those are things it takes an artisan a day to crank out individually. The advent of mass production probably opened up training to most people where before it was probably something only the rich could really do (which is partially supported by stuff like Poke- Versallies)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

indigi posted:

the amount of baggage carried by this idea implies pokemon have human-equivalent (or so near that any difference is essentially meaningless) intelligence

Pokemon have always been roughly human-level intelligent. Most of the main series shows off the fact that they're able to completely understand human speech, N's ability to communicate with them shows they have self-awareness and the ability to vocalize complex thoughts even if humans largely don't understand them and there are several instances like the Dittos pulling an Invasion of the Body Snatchers in USUM, or totem Mimikyu's Pikachu shrine and ability to speak or any number of other disturbing sidequests that distinctly point to the fact that Pokemon should probably all be considered human-level.

and then of course they also have restaurants where you eat them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

indigi posted:

even if the pokemon like doing it, that still means humans are complicit in the torture and murder of other sentients

Pokemon trained by humans don't kill people or other Pokemon by and large. There's like two people total who attempt to break this taboo in the games and they both get put down basically as soon as they try it.

At least in the modern era. All bets are off if you start thinking about the massive world wars and fantasy nukes people used to use in the Pokemon world.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Dawn Stone is what happens when Dawn from DPPt marries Steven Stone

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

And their are Pokémon with amazing stats that are kinda unusable like Slaking and Regigigas

Or even pokemon with fairly middling stat totals that punch way above their weight because they're minmaxed (Mega-Beedrill comes to mind,)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Dragonite, Kingdra and Altaria look perfectly fine.

Salamander, Garchomp, Haxorus, Jangmo-o, Hydreigon and Tyrantrum are a truly ugly sextet of monsters, though. I don’t think it’s even like thoughtful ugly. It’s just lazy ugly.

What the gently caress????

Tyrantrum is like in the absolute top tier pokemon designs. And Haxorus is a doofy axe dragon and rules

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

psychologically, this explains everything

Ash js the spirit of intellect?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Or how Nippon is Japan or Deutschland is Germany in English.

Things often have different names in different languages.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've really been enjoying pokemon: insurgence after downloading it today. seems like a solid fangame in terms of actual progression and the gimmicks that are introduced are more just neat than annoying. like delta pokemon, which are weird, differently-typed versions of pokemon we already know that look different to match. sprite quality varies a little bit here and there but it's Okay.

The biggest issue with Insurgence is a ton of the best/most interesting Deltas are locked in the really late game or post game for some godforsaken reason?

Also the usual romhack jank.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh yeah, absolutely. it doesn't escape some of the 'usual' stuff that plagues these things but it's not riddled with poor decisions at the same time. i have no idea what the 'darker' option for the story entails, though, although i doubt it could hold a candle to reborn in the least.

Nah, nothing on Reborn's level. Its mostly just a bunch of edgy cults who worship various Legendaries as gods and some of them do human sacrifices.

Basically its the 'nothing personnel kidd' option to make your Pokemon edgy in that uniquely 13 year old way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

What kind of insane person wants to murder a bunch of Pokemon with extremely unchallenging movesets? Or run into zubats constantly?

Someone who doesn't want to have to catch and mulch a hundred of those same Zubat s while playing a repetitive minigame where they wiggle across the screen.

Also i would like to actually use my Pokemon and not sideline them for like most of my play time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Inkay evolves to Malamar which is pretty neat with Superpower, but to get it to evolve is very weird. You literally have to hold your 3DS upside down during the level up of 30 (or up).

Noibat evolves to Noivern which is kind of a glass cannon/supporter. There will be a stronger dragon (pseudo-legendary) later in the game, but you may want to go in with Noivern til then if you want a dragon.

The issue with Noibat is it evolves super late and Noibat has horrifically bad stats until evolution. Its really rough to actually use it in game because you're essentially dragging a Magikarp around until level 48.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Will I not be able to transfer my Cosplay Pikachu from Alpha Sapphire to X or Moon?

Nope. It stuck in ORAS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

HOW loving LONG IS THIS GAME? After defeating an ancient god, foiling a terrorist scheme, ending a flood that was destroying the world, and becoming champion of the Pokemon league, I then went on to tame a dragon god, free the last scion of a dragon cult from her endless vigil, destroy a meteor hurtling towards earth, and kill the alien monster hiding inside.

And after all that, I'm handed a boat ticket and a new starter. What the gently caress is gonna be on the other end of that boat ride? Am I gonna find out the moon is a Pokemon that wants to kill the sun? How much more can this story escalate?

Yeah you're at the end of the game now. The remaining story content is some minor vignettes and some stuff locked behind completing the highest tier contests and the difficult as hell Battle Facility.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

This would be really terrible. It'd make everything even more repetitive than it already is by making every team the literal same, ruin any interesting motivation (underwritten and stupid as it may be in Team Magma and Aqua's examples), and make the series even more reliant on Kanto when it already could do itself a lot of good by stopping shoving Kanto down our throats at any given opportunity.

Also the games don't need to constantly escalate poo poo. They already do, but they don't need to, since every game is a different protagonist in a barely-connected world anyways. If anything, going a bit back may even work, the genocide plan was by far the worst of the lot and the alien invasion ended up being much more boring than the simple but extremely effective plot of an abusive, insane mother.

The games don't always escalate. Gen III was a serious localized issue that almost wiped out Hoenn, then Gen IV went all the way up to almost unmaking reality, then Gen V is a fairly localized issue again, Gen VI is worldwide genocide (which is somehow still a step down from Gen IV), and Gen VII in regular SuMo is probably the most low stakes ever since Lusamine isn't actually aiming to conquer the region and your plot is about saving her. USUM kicks it back up to a Hoenn level issue with Necrozma though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Not if you're playing with the joycons attached in handheld mode. If you are you can use the stick move the camera and completely avoid motion controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Four Regis, Claydol and Baltoy, and Golem. That's seven. Golem is called golem so he counts as a golem.

No one tell this guy about how many monkeys, fish, birds or animated piles of pollution pokemon has