Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/1100930731717455873

That warm bunny is losing is proof that people have questionable taste...is what I'd say but anxiety is also very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm here to poke at mons

Weird, everyone lately seems to want to mon at pokes instead, despite no one being too sure of how to do it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

They've done it before with special mons like Spike-eared Pichu or Az's Floette

AZ's Floette is stuck in non-existence officially though. It's an event that we never got and will never get.

It kind of sucks, honestly. That's a good-looking Floette.

Is this how AZ felt?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Johnny Joestar posted:

i need to see what sobble evolves into and its secondary

right

now

Got you covered fam

https://twitter.com/Lanmanigans/status/1101306079407943681

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Attention!! Just received another wonder trade shiny! if anyone would like a shiny Xurkitree another has just become available!

I'll gladly take the funky-coloured Guzmatree if no one else has.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Alright! Send me over your FC and IGN and lets get started. Just to warn you it has a stupid name. Not gross just dumb.

It doesn't matter, it's not like I'll ever unbox it. FC is 4167-4851-0640, IGN's Blaze. I'd need yours too to add you though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Check page two, I'm doing a shiny giveaway so you can pick some more if you want.

Okay, I've added you. Also I saw the list, but it's overwhelming, I'd pretty much want everything if I asked, so I'll refrain from it. Though...I'd like the Ampharos if no one has taken it.

Also, random WT fodder is okay, right? Or do you want anything in particular?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

I was told magma armor/flame body and Roto Hatch don't stack, and based on limited testing it seems true. I could be wrong though as my tests were just counting spins

Bulbapedia posted:

From Pokémon Emerald onward, if a Pokémon with Magma Armor is in the party (even if fainted), the number of cycles it takes for all Pokémon Eggs in the party to hatch are halved. This effect does not stack with itself or Flame Body; however, it can be stacked with Hatching Power Pass Power or O-Power.

Flopsy posted:

Unfortunately the Ampharos was just recently given away. But I'm serious when I say grab something else I don't mind. As for what I'd like in return there's a couple niche things I'd want for example:

a hidden ability passimian, a growlithe in a luxury ball, or a pidove in a dusk ball.

But if none of those are available just grab a wingull or something and throw it my way I really don't mind.

Oh. Well, I'd like the Rowlet too, if that's possible. And I have none of those but I can try to hunt for Growlithe, I have Luxury Balls on me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Oh no! I just gave him away yesterday! I'm so sorry! Aargh. I need to go back there and do some editing.

Oh, uhh...well, whatever. If the Dugtrio's Alolan that'd be nice but otherwise Xurkitree is enough for me, and I don't want to ask for too much anyways. Oh, and I got the Luxury Ball Growlithe! I'll go to Festival Plaza now.

Amppelix posted:

The currency is a Yen equivalent and you know it! That bike costs 10 000 bucks!

Which is still, a lot, actually. What the hell kind of bicycle is that.

Inflation was really bad in the Pokemon World.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks for the trades, Flopsy!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

I love the punchline that despite being greedy and wanting Pokemon just for the sake of selling them, Jesse and James are actually fantastic trainers and their pokemons love them to death

They're also shown several times to be at the very least competent in normal jobs, sometimes even being shown as really skilled at them.

Jessie and James are basically only evil by choice, they could very easily live well if they decided to abandon that path but they won't. And even there, they're more "evil" than evil and are actually pretty nice people which is constantly shown as an imperative to be a good Pokemon Trainer, James especially managed to get IIRC the entirety of his team without ever fighting, only through sheer kindness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want regional forms of gen 2 pokemon in this gen

There's nothing wrong with having dreams, but I hope you don't think that will happen. You can't milk nostalgia with Gen 2, only with Gen 1, and that's the only thing Game Freak lately cares about.

Also Game Freak never reuses good ideas so we won't get more regional forms despite being a really cool thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

YaketySass posted:

Incineroar's real crime is its shiny not being yellow.

If you're thinking of the same colour scheme I am with that yellow (specifically, with black stripes), that may cross from reference into blatant copyright infringement.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Diet Poison posted:

Can I use my Monkey's Paw wish on the return of good places to grind postgame? I'm trying to raise my new Ninetales to 100 to Hyper Train its lovely speed stat, and the choices are dire in Sun/Moon. At this point I'm just eating level-up meals from the Plaza every day. Bring back the Blissey Islands!

I agree with that wish. The best place in USUM to train is Pony Grove because two bushes can have Chansey in it, and they create SOS battles with more Chansey and sometimes Blissey, but it's far too random and slow, especially in comparison to the better methods we had before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr. Nemo posted:

Im assuming this will double as a general pokemon thread for now?

...This is the general Pokemon megathread. Can you double on being yourself? Is this thread Megathread/Megathread?

quote:

In SM, does the Exp share reduces the amount of experience the main pokemon receives?

Does the experience the other ones change based on how many pokemons are in my party?

Both are nos. Your main Pokemon still gets full exp and the others get the same amount of exp regardless of how many Pokemon you have.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr. Nemo posted:

God, the last Dungeon has this tutorial that went on forever and a terrible (read: different from before) mechanic for recruiting. Had to put it down shortly after starting. Anyone know if it gets better? Reviews say that it doesn’t actually.

Uhh, the last MD was Super Mystery Dungeon which rocked, actually. I also don't remember it having a tutorial that went on forever. Are you thinking of the second to last? I've heard that one was pretty bad.

Also the current recruiting method is much better than the old one because it isn't horribly luck-based.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

galagazombie posted:

Gen IV was the only time Nintendo ever had a good use for the bottom screen (The Poketch and Quickmenu) and it annoys me to no end they never got it right again. I'm not saying Super-Training/Pokemo-amie is bad, just that its the kind of thing that doesn't need to be hogging the screen during normal gameplay. You can't even use some of the stuff on the C-Gear anymore now that the servers are gone.

I disagree, Gen VI was pretty much the perfect use of the lower screen for the PSS (and the other fun stuff in ORAS) and I dearly miss it since it allowed them to blend near-perfectly single-player and online.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1104117368203239426

Welp, I guess we weren't meant to know that yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bongo Bill posted:

Regardless of marketing, without interoperability it's pretty misleading to call it a mainline game.

That'll likely change once Sword and Shield are out, Let's Go has data for everything the main games use yet LG itself doesn't, making it more than clear that trading is meant to happen, it just hasn't been activated because of reasons we can't be sure about (but it may simply be because they haven't been able to get Bank working on Switch yet, or because of the whole "only Gen 1" thing)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

they are very common pokemon in other universes, its literally stated outright in the story so like, not sure what you're on about?

Lots of people have convinced themselves the UBs are legendaries even when the game states there's a bunch of them and you can catch as many as you want.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

US/UM does have Chansey Chains in the postgame area, as well as Roto Exp. Points to double Exp yield from battles for a while. So it's definitely faster if you wanna grind in that one for postgame stuff.

Even that is miserably slow in comparison to older methods though, and I really, really hope we get something faster for Sword and Shield. I don't care about getting to level 100 but I evolve a lot of mons for the whole livingdex thing (which in my case also includes international Pokemon, which means I get quite a bit to evolve) and it'd be nice to not take ages for the ones that need higher levels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mizuti posted:

I traded to get all SOS exclusive Pokémon because screw that. I hope they dump the SOS mechanic and find a more elegant and straightforward way of hunting for hidden abilities, shinies, and/or rare species.

No need to hope for that, SOS is the exact kind of mechanic Game Freak likes to drop after one use. And thankfully in this case, because it's really bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A tie-in smartphone app actually would be a pretty good idea if done right, and Nintendo already has the infrastructure for it.

Let a game be a game. Do not force other stuff into it, it never ends up well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Whalley posted:

Until I've beaten the Elite 4, I won't use anything but new pokeymans to try and get me some New Friends. This is the correct and true way to play the game. Gen 5 is the only generation to really get me.

I agree. I only use older Pokemon if there's something new to them (Blaziken and Azumarill in Y because of Megas/Fairies respectively, Alolan Forms in S and UM). Otherwise, let me try the new stuff. We have like a thousand of these dogs, I'm not going to stick with the same every time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

is there an in-universe reason for why so many pokemon are "Pikachu, but slightly different"

Mimikyu is the only one that has an in-universe explanation. The rest are just easy marketing, but that's out-of-universe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver2195 posted:

Dedenne isn't so much a Pikaclone as a Raiclone. A very lazy Raiclone, though.

That Raichu is remembered is reason enough to celebrate. I celebrate Dedenne's existence.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moriatti posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Gen 5 mons, but I want to experience Gen 5 story, how hosed would it be if I did a light randomizer (keep all pokemon roughly same power, replace Legendaries with Legendaries and otherwise leave the game unfucked with) on it?

You should be perfectly fine but it's also kind of antithetical to the Gen 5 idea of using the new guys instead of the guys you already used.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

what would you classify them as

Uh, psychic. The type's in the game but only used by Ness and Lucas for some reason.

The White Dragon posted:

i know lugia is flying psychic but i still think he's water type sometimes

I don't but to this day I don't get why Lugia is Psychic and not Water.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Countblanc posted:

there were episodes where they were given meals at pokemon centers

i always assumed there was some sort of government program that supported you if you wanted to go out on a pokemon adventure once in your life, but after a certain amount of time you were expected to contribute more directly to society

They are contributing to society. Giant companies (Silph, Devon, etc.) exist whose entire product lines are for Trainers. Bikes are such a gigantic neccesity that they've become absurdly expensive and promoting them is a big enough job to get one for free. Big Pokemon tournaments happen near-constantly, with several people of all ages participating, with them being shown in TVs everywhere. There are several profitable jobs dedicated to Pokemon for Trainers that had their journey but decided to use their knowledge elsewhere. Rich people that are into Pokemon are exceedingly common.

While non-Pokemon-related business exists (such as hotels), it's a reality that a big part if not most of society is entirely on the Pokemon business. Travelling Trainers are more than a contribution, they're a neccesity for it to continue, as they not only buy products and services, but also give entertainment (which someone must be getting profit from) and all without expecting payment other than what they get from beating each other up and doing odd jobs here and there.

Pokemon Centers being free and even giving food and shelter to travelling Trainers is, therefore, an inversion by the government to keep that up. A logical, obvious one - they're unpaid, unaffiliated workers moving the economy, you want them alive and ready to keep travelling and keep purchasing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Whalley posted:

A Pokemon battle is forcing fully sentient, intelligent beings you pressed into slavery to fight until at least one literally cannot move anymore.

Nonsense. We're constantly told Pokemon really, really like beating the poo poo out of each other. There's no forcing, Pokemon are horribly blood-lusty abominations that only find pleasure in the slaughter of their own kind, and love the idea of being helped by humans so they can refine and excel in their murderous ways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

Who were the other two chucklefucks in Pallet who picked up Charmander and Bulbasaur.

In I Choose You, Tierno and Marina, respectively. But that clearly wasn't what happened in the original timeline (Tierno has a Blastoise there, not to mention neither is from Pallet Town) so whoever took them were heavily unimportant.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

That..uh...sure is a plot twist alright. Also Gundam Unicorn? I know I'm out of the loop but when did that happen?

Uhh...nine years ago.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Airspace posted:

All I'm reading from this giant robot conversation in the Pokemon thread is that we need another Pokemon Conquest, only now the Pokemon drive giant robots.

The right term for that is "Super Robot Wars".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We won't ever get more regional forms and it's best you all accept this now instead of being forced to accept reality later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Also if I can't be antimonarchist in-game I will be very cross

You'll actually be the monarch yourself. That's how the Galar League works, the Champion is immediately crowned king/queen and will remain as such until they're beaten.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

I don't think Steven is nearly as old as that but it's really creepy anyways since he's still most likely an adult and Dawn's a pre-teen, yeah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SuperKlaus posted:

Specifically I really want Totodile (and Bulbasaur and Turtwig) with HA but I don't know how to get the HA on any starter, or fossil Pokemon, or whatever else doesn't just spawn in random encounters.

Usually those are released in events with their HAs and then people breed them because that's really loving stupid but lol Game Freak. I'm entirely sure Totodile with HA was released, I think with PokeBank, but I'm not sure of the others.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Note Block posted:

I ship Guzma with me because he’s my boy and also very handsome.

At least with Guzma it's undeniable he's an adult since a core part of his character is that he failed to become a Trial Captain, a job with a cut-off age of 20, meaning our boy Guzma is at least that age, likely somewhat older.

Hell, he seems to be the same age as Kukui, who's married (too bad about his rocky marriage due to his wife's unrequited love for the Masked Royal though)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

I feel the need to share Guzma's introduction in the anime, because it is absolutely wonderful in every single way. :swoon:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1112282634921508866

I want this but subbed, I'm sure the lyrics are great from what little I can understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Procrastine posted:

The fansubs say:

Let's get high!
I just can't deal with this painful world!
Beat down and smash the unpleasant world!
Smash! Mess up! Wreck! Break!
Collapse pleasantries! Refreshing destruction!
Full power! Blue skies!
We're the proud Skull Gang!
We're the famous Skull Gang!
Put your hands up, everybody!

That's perfectly fitting and I love it. I love Team Skull so much.