Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m very excited for the prerelease Pokémon period where we get frequent reveals of cute new mons and cool new abilities and moves to play around with.

Also, I hope regional forms are back and my pal Farfetch’d gets a suit of armour to go with his sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm here to poke at mons

I think you're looking for the monpoke thread.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I didn't really spend that much time with last gen, what was the deal with Ultra Beasts? A lot of people seem to dislike them quite a bit and they just seem like more weird legendaries a la Entei/Raikou/Suicune to me.

They're extremely cool pokemon from another dimension.

I hope England gets invaded by parrallel dimensions as well because the Ultra Beasts are probably the best designed group of legendaries over all the generations. Even if they are not technically legendaries.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She gets one double battle where Faba goes "Haha I tricked you into a double battle with a weak link!" and then afterwards she goes "I guess i'm not strong enough, i'll help by standing in this hallway and healing your pokemon." And then she gets used as a hostage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm just saying her yelling at her mum in space about how she's terrible was probably cooler than getting used as a hostage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh that's cool, I never did any Battle Tree stuff in Ultra.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was better but I don't think i'd say shiny hunting was fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I'm more bothered by the inconsistencies involved with finding and obtaining Pokémon. The protagonists can do a number of things like mercilessly beat up or capture entire hordes of certain Pokémon to find one individual who has what amounts to a genetic mutation (shiny hunting). But if a group like Team Rocket does the same thing, its suddenly a criminal activity (poaching).

Not to mention how there seems to be endless numbers of supposedly rare Pokémon. Every small patch of grass somehow contains millions and millions of Pokémon.

Shiny hunting is in fact a crime and if you partake in it you are worse than Team Rocket imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The anime just always neglects Ash's birds, in Johto he had a goddamn shiny Noctowl that was barely used.

Rowlet is doing ok.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Noivern is a bird.

E: ^what they said

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flying type is the bird type, therefore all flying type pokemon are birds.

This includes Gyarados

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Guzma's signature Pokemon being one that gives up when things get to hard is such a good metaphor for his insecurities. Dude is the best antagonist in the entire series, I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Golisopod doesn't give up!

It's a strategic retreat. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not convinced Ash had ever been to school prior to Sun and Moon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No.

Give Farfetch'd a shield to go with his sword.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They will, I believe

E: They will be replacing Z moves with something else though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Catching sucks in Let's Go because pokemon can just leave and you can't really do anything about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nasgate posted:

That's a fair argument. But ime more Pokemon have roared me out of battle in UM than ran in Go

Certainly not my experience but maybe i've been lucky. At the very least not every pokemon known roar, while every Pokemon in Go has the potential to just end the battle if they feel like it, which really sucks for pokemon with low catch rates.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they're talking about Nugget Bridge because when you're 8 you might just explore before heading to the Pokemon Center and then you get jumped from behind.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What's your issue with Nebby?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I just want an evil team to have their grand plan explicitly not involve the Legendaries again. Say, they are building a doomsday machine or army and only intersect with the Legendary to get it out of the way.

In Sun and Moon the evil plan was mostly about Ultra Beasts, which I guess were kinda like legendaries but also kinda not?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're an excellent excuse to do that.

I hope they invade PokeBritain too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My friend Buzzwole is not ugly. And I hope you apologise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They've also just got really cool design concepts. The bamboo spaceship and origami samurai are extremely rad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Roggenrola line is very cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Farecoal posted:

I would like to see a Pokemon Snap sequel with a realistic ecosystem aka Pigeots hunting Bunearys

Please a realistic ecosystem would surely have Pidgeots hunting bug or grass types, why would it ignore the type advantage in order to hunt Bunearys?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golurk's design is pretty different from those guys.

E: I guess I can see some similarities with the Regis, but like Claydol?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's been clear since at least the baseball episode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only watch episodes when I see a post somewhere about the latest episode being good. And most of the time they’re right so I guess the show is cool now probably.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And what engaging timing it is.

E: Not that catching in general is engaging or whatever. But tossing pokeballs with a flick and a timing element isn't any more fun than tossing pokeballs with a button press.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 5, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I never found catching easier in Let's Go honestly. Sure you skip having to weaken the pokemon but since you get pokeballs from doing just about anything in game it felt to me like the game was balanced around tossing a lot more balls than you usually would. And then you throw in a a lame timing element as well as having to wait for the pokemon to stop growling or attacking before you can throw your next ball, and there's also a chance for the pokemon to just leave. It never really felt any quicker.

Edit: Like the worst part of catching isn't having to weaken the pokemon first, it's that pokemon with low encounter rates also have low catch rates and just letting you get straight to throwing balls doesn't actually fix that.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've probably had more pokemon run from me in Let's go than having a pokemon Roar or Whirlwind me over every other pokemon game i've played.

E: Not that catching in Let's Go is that bad I just don't find it any better than regular catching mechanics. They're both only ok.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Calem/Serena are the Protagonist, except you keep beating them, crushing their dreams and stealing their Mega Ring.

How could you.

I swear I've heard this take about the rival for like the last 4 games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hugh is a solid character but he's a pretty bad rival if only because he doesn't care about beating you and doesn't want to become champ. But that's also something that sets him apart from other rivals I guess, which is kind of a plus.

I'd definitely rate him above Gen 3 May/Brendan and Calem/Serena

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gary Oak lost his one fight against his rival. So I wasn't really much like him at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The movies aren't canon.

Also, Ash is ok and he doesn't really make the show worse by existing or whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lusamine is better in the anime tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity what makes her better for you?

She's an embarrassing mum and is very funny from the episodes i've seen.

She's also kind of a more realistically bad Mum? She clearly loves her kids but she's an immature person who hasn't treated raising them as seriously as she probably should. Her daughter had some serious poke trauma and while Lusamine cares about Lillie, she didn't really do much about it or try to figure out what the cause was.

Not that being more grounded is necessarily better than how over the top she is in the games (because that's cool and fun) but she's definitely a more fleshed out person, which is a plus. The anime just gets to spend more time on its characters, we get to see what Lusamine is like when not overdosed on Jellyfish venom, and we learn more about her from things other than post game journals or from other characters recounting what she used to be like.

She's a better villain in the games though, if that's what we're ranking. That's no question.

E: I guess what i'm saying is game Lusamine doesn't form a sentai team.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 19, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Poke Genetics is clearly referring to pokemon fusion. A concept cut at the last moment from Sun and Moon and will finally be introduced in Sword and Shield.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

is this an actually supported theory?

Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All leaks are real.

E: I have now read the leak and I am excited to hang out with my Teamster pals.