Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the bunny is cute but I'm worried it's gonna be fire/fighting

Even if she does, I will love her all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Are there any popular wolves/dogs in English folklore? Cause the only wolves I could think of that come in a pair are Hati and Skoll and those would have fit better in Pokemon Sun and Moon

Hound of the Baskervilles?

Also dire wolves, maybe?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, the original dub is not good. It's very bad. The Pokemon 4Kids dub was fine back in the day when I was 11 or 12 and every 90s cartoon I watched had annoyingly wacky, corny humor and jelly donuts. It was part of that era of dubbing anime in the most easily marketable goofy way to kids... but uh I don't know if anyone's watched the original Pokemon dub as an adult. The random rear end cornball humor thrown in every second, totally amateur lack of competent voice direction, any nuance, silence, or subtlety removed from the script, lazy rear end evisceration of Japanese culture references, and the honestly lovely voice acting quality itself makes it really tough to watch for more than an episode or two. I don't really understand the nostalgia for Team Rocket, Ash, Misty, any of their original dub performances, because they aren't talented or even particularly memorable except through rose-colored glasses from when you were 10 years old.

It's not even unique to Pokemon for the era either. Lots and lots of blatantly garbage anime dubs people have mass nostalgia for from those days like Digimon or Yu-gi-oh are just as trashy. Try watching Digimon Adventure in Japanese without the hilariously bad English dub and being like "Oh, this was actually really cool and emotional sometimes, not corny as balls."

Now Japanese Jessie and James is good as hell. I can see having nostalgia for how excellent and hilarious Megumi Hayashibara and Shinichiro Miki are in the original seasons. They're still amazing!!!

Dub being garbage notwithstanding, telling people to just watch something with subs instead is not a solution, especially for action-heavy shows. It's mad distracting having to keep my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen to see what the hell these idiots are even talking about. I hate it, and I hate subs. If I want to read dialog I'll go read a loving book.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I do remember that show. Never really watched it though. I saw Robocop 2 in theaters when I was 10 and parts of that movie frightened the poo poo out of me.

Pokémon breeding: how “fast” can someone breed? When I tried in Y, I’d wait for two mons to bang each other, then steal the egg and do laps on my bike with it until it hatched. That poo poo was tedious, but people breed by the thousands. How?

It's pretty darn fast in the Alola games.

Oval Charm is a key item you get it in Hea Hea City from Moritomo in the Gamefreak building. It makes eggs appear more often.

If you have a Pokemon with Magma Armor or Flame Body in your party, eggs hatch twice as fast. If you're in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, you can also use the Roto Hatch power (received randomly when Rotom's eyes flash), to cut it in half again.

Then what you do is go out to the small enclosed pen right in front of the Nursery, bring out your Tauros ride-on Pokemon, and spin in circles like an idiot. When the attendant outside crosses her arms, that means an egg is ready! Go grab it, and spin some more. When you have a party full of eggs, pop a Roto Hatch, or just keep spinning and keep collecting eggs as they come in. If you accept another egg while your party is full, you'll be promted to send any extras straight to your PC.

You can amass unholy amounts of eggs in no time at all.

I also do a perhaps unhealthy amount of breeding. I can answer any more questions you might have!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tunklord Supreme posted:

while people are answering questions about the breeding process, is there any way to breed a beast ball onto a piplup?
i have a female araquanid in a beast ball, who can give piplup aqua ring as an egg move, but if the female parent is always the one that passes down their pokeball then i can't figure out a way to get a piplup into a ball other than a boring regular ball

am i missing something here?

OK it'll be a pain in the rear end but you can do this. You have to use Island Scan. Tuesday is when Prinplup shows up, on Route 16. You'll have to catch one of them in a Beast Ball, then breed it with a Ditto until you get a female in a Beast Ball.

Then you'll need a male Piplup with Aqua Ring. Breed that with your Beast Ball female, until you get a Piplup with Aqua Ring in a Beast Ball.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Males pass down their poke balls now.

Yes, of course, but in order to get egg moves on it, you need a female. Balls are only passed down when breeding the same species.

Tunklord Supreme posted:

oh cool, i just saw on bulbapedia that prinplup can be caught via island scan in usum so using this method i should be able to get what i was looking for, i appreciate the quick answers from everyone

so just to make sure i've got the order of operations correct here, i'll need to:
- catch a female prinplup in a beast ball when it's available through island scan on tuesday
- then breed it with a male dewpider to get a piplup in a beast ball with aqua ring
- then breed that piplup with my 6iv foreign destiny knot ditto like i normally would til i get my ideal nature and 6ivs

that'll get me my perfect 6iv/aqua ring/beast ball strong penguin friend, right? i'm not missing anything?

EDIT:

ahhh, okay i think i get everything now, thank you all so much for the help! looking forward to going on adventures with my very strong penguin buddy

You have the process down! I am pretty sure the Island Scan starters can't be female. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: and you'd have to breed it anyway because balls are only passed down when breeding the same species. So, breeding Prinplup with Piplup would not work! The world of Fashion Balling is complex and fraught with pitfalls. Good luck!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 3, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Egg moves... another term I hear a lot. And read a lot. What’s egg moves?

(I also picture it being sang by Bob Seger.)

Egg Moves are extra moves Pokemon can only pick up by breeding.

Take the Piplup example being discussed here. Aqua Ring is on Piplup's Egg Move list. Breed a female Piplup with a male that knows Aqua Ring, and the baby Piplups will have Aqua Ring when they hatch. You can do this either with a male in the same "Egg Group" (basically a list of what will breed with what) or a male of the same species that knows the move you want.

You can get some pretty great moves this way!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Flopsy posted:

These guys explained it better than me. ^^^^^^

:hfive: We're being helpful. I want to hear your breeding horror story!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

This is unrelated to the current conversation, but I wanted to weigh in on something. Why are people hoping that the water starter evolves into the Loch Ness Monster? The game's are set in Poke-UK! Wouldn't it be cooler if the Loch Ness Monster were a real Legendary monster you could go catch in a big lake that is in the same spot as Loch Ness?!

NPCs in the area could tell you about the rumors of a monster that lives in [totally-not-Loch-Nesss] and tourists come from all over for a chance to catch a glimpse of it. Only because it's an RPG, the rumors are actually true and you can go catch fukkin' Nessie!

That'd be way cooler than the Pokemon you can have from the beginning of the game turning into it.

Also Lapras live in the same lake, too, because Lapras looks like the Loch Ness Monster too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I've been making use of those actually. But I wasn't sure if they worked the same way, thanks for the heads up though! :)

Yeah, PokePelago is what I've been using for EV training my dudes. It's quite foolproof. I also have a poo poo ton of the EV reducing berries just in case I gently caress something up. The nice thing about it is, you can do precise numbers of EVs other than just maxing two stats and calling it a day. It's really convenient. I hope the next games at least have something similar.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Actually if Sunny Day is used Solar Beam becomes an instant move. Similarly, Thunder's accuracy is affected by Rainy or Sunny weather.

E: In Gold and Silver, Red uses the Sunny Day + Solar Beam combo which I was convinced was hax back in 2001. Still no idea why Jasmine's Steelix spams Sunny Day.

Well, it worked on me because it made my Quagsire's Surf do poo poo for damage. Ended up throwing my Quilava in there, who still had loving Ember.

Gen 2's movepools were really dire.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Quilava's move pool is still pretty damned dire.

All it's coverage moves are physical except for extrasensory, which is an egg move.

True. At least now he can do the one-trick pony thing with a Choice Scarf and Eruption. It's something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Yeah nah mate, noones bullying anyone here. Just taking the piss

Hahaha, oh man this gal might as well be my Scottish twin.

I like Incineroar though. Always have. Never got the obsession with the Litten line being quadrupedal. Like... 1) Who cares? 2) Bipedal Pokemon always have better movepools than the quadrupeds.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I feel like I'm going crazy but I thought there was a Pokemon theme park. They had a contest when Pokemon Emerald would release, the grand prize for which was a trip to Tokyo and what I assumed to be a Pokemon theme park. I forget what it was called. Might have just been the Pokemon Center, for all I know.

Maybe I am just crazy. Or maybe it's because it's such an obvious thing that should exists that my brain rejects the possibility that it's not already a thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Avalerion posted:

quote:

Pokémon The Park 2005 or PokéPark (ポケパーク PokePāku) was a traveling Japanese theme park based on the Pokémon franchise. ... The theme park featured twelve Pokémon-themed attractions, and was open between March 18, 2005, and September 25, 2005, in Japan, and from June 23, 2006, to September 24, 2006, in Taiwan.
Does this count?

HOLY poo poo, yes! That must have been the one! The timeframe is correct. I never knew it wasn't a permanent thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

galagazombie posted:

It always annoyed me to no end how Lugia, a Plesiosaur monster who lives at the bottom of the sea, is a counterpart to the Fire type Ho-Oh, and is the ruler of the currents, is Flying type instead of Water.

I won five bucks in a bet with a guy at a Lugia Raid in Pokemon Go for getting Lugia's typing right. Dude insisted Lugia is water type. We argued back and forth a few times when I finally said dude I will bet you 5 bucks he's flying psychic. Dude says sure, taps his phone a bit, and I hear a dejected "Oh, poo poo..." a few seconds later. Pay up, bitch. :smug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You know how some people don't shut up about Gen 5 being the best and poo poo?

They're right.

-Nimbasa is a fun challenge because the first three gyms have hard counters nearby, Nimbasa doesn't. You can get the ground alligator before arriving in town, but it'll at best destroy Half the gym with lovely-ish moves (Dig is the best thing you can get at that point), and the other half is Emolga. The best counter to it is instead all the way back at the first cave you went to, like three towns back, either Drilbur with similar issues and having to wait on the dust cloud stuff, or a Roggenrola... IF you explored Castelia enough to get Eviolite, otherwise it doesn't survive Volt Switch enough. It's a strong wakeup call because the counters you can get can be dealt with by the gym, so you just gotta be good.

I love these games, they're fun. My pokemon are super nice and i'm gonna get an icecream guy.

Iirc the best counter to Elesa's Emolga is Blitzle. It gets Lightning Rod and Motor Drive- both of which make it immune to Volt Switch, and Shockwave- so it gets around Double Team Spam.

Definitely agree on the rest of your points. Black and White own.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

A couple of streamers I watched playing Sun or Moon got really butthurt when their age was "confirmed" as 11 because it took all their immersion away.

That is such a weird thing to have your "immersion" broken over. But I could just be weird. I have never been in the target demographic for these games. I was already in high school when Red and Blue came out. I identified the closest with the Black and White protagonist, and also Coliseum, because they're the oldest of the main characters, but I was in college by then and still older than they were.

I also find it weird for another reason. Like, roleplaying is fine. It's in the name of the genre, but you don't necessarily roleplay as... yourself? You can roleplay as somebody else. I thought that was kind of the point. I don't get it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

You can ask, but can't guarantee anyone will listen to you. Just like most of the messages on up-for-trade mons saying "6IV HA" are fuckin lies.

That fuckin 10-level window's main purpose, btw, is to enable morons/assholes to ask for impossible trades only.

Got Dang the GTS is poorly executed. First thing I'd do is rip away that level-window-request function, then make it so you can see every aspect of a mon up for trade, down to the ability, nature, EVs and IVs.

First thing I would do is give the option to search for what people want. I got a million HA whatever in Fashion Balls. Yeah I could just Wonder Trade them away, but maybe I want to see what I could get for them. Maybe make some kid's day with a HA Dratini in a Love Ball when all he wants is a Dratini for Dex completion.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I just want to thank you again for this post Silver. Really helped me get forms I was missing really quick.

:tipshat: My pleasure! Glad my advice helped.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ll make a post sometime this week when I’m ready. I have a bunch of cloned 2010 Mews’ as well. The early days of ORAS were wild.

I would definitely be interested in a shiny 'garde clone. Anything in particular you'd be interested in? I have metric poo poo tons of stuff. If it's breedable I can get it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

It still irritates me that Pokemon subs use unlocalized names for everything. We know what it is!

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

The difference is, a sub is supposed to reflect what the Japanese text is saying. It's not a dub, it's not a localization, it's a translation. Anything that isn't a change for clarity's sake or for readability isn't something that should be changed.

So. I dunno. Toughen up and just tune it out. You know what these things are called in the west already anyway.

Well I don't watch subbed anime anyway, but how about...

no. You're translating everything else to English already. You have an English word for a thing that exists. Use that.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Some-Stuff ran a poll for it when they started subbing SM and the terrible pokemon anime fanbase wanted japanese names.

And this is where you should just ignore what the screaming whining masses want and just do what makes sense. :colbert: Christ, people are weird/dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I honestly apologize for even bringing it up. I mean, I knew it was a hot button topic but I didn't know it would go to these kinds of extremes. For me it seems logical to localize things that have solid localizations now that Pokemon has become much more of a worldwide synced up thing. Maybe I'm wrong and just thinking more idealistically, but hey.

Nope, I agree with you, friend.

Nodosaur posted:

That's... not really the same thing at all. Pokemon aren't animals. They're fantasy creatures that are marketed heavily and are meant to stand out as characters of their own even if they're members of the species. That's why their names get capitalized even if they're normal animals in reality.

"Nakama" is just a normal rear end word. The people who say there's a meaning inherent to it that the english word doesn't have are either incorrect, misled, or lying. "Gokushomusha" has wordplay going on it that separates it from the normal rear end word for the real world animal it's based on, that's an actual fact.

Ok, I understand that I am not the target audience for this because I don't watch subbed anime (because it annoys me). Still, it's worth emphasizing that "Gokushomusha" having wordplay going on is cool and good but it relies on you knowing Japanese in order to get it. If knowledge of the source language is required to get a joke or reference, then it should be changed. If people watching can speak Japanese, then they don't need the subs, do they?

Also in the Pokemon universe, Pokemon are just normal-rear end animals. There are occasionally references to animals that are not Pokemon, but for the most part, Pokemon are it for the local fauna. Bulbasaur is a species name, same as dog. Yeah sure it's copyrighted and a proper noun, and everything, but I don't see anybody arguing that Nippon shouldn't be changed to Japan in subs.

Speaking for myself, I don't know the Pokemon's Japanese names and it's just jarring to be reading sentences in English and then suddenly here's a random Japanese word that I don't know. Oh that must be the Japanese word for Koffing. It wrecks my immersion.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

Which is the best starter, and why is it Oshawott Blaziken?

Bitch, please.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nasgate posted:

What should I do with Type:Null ? I have a revolving door for a sixth slot and it seems interesting enough to keep around while I do post-game stuff.

I used my Silvally (Type:Null's evolved form) to beat up the Elite Four for cash monies/evolving things for Dex completion. Swapping the Memories around meant I could type-match them all with a single slot. All I had to do was keep his signature move topped off with Leppa Berries from the Pelago. Super easy.

Silvally is my beautiful son.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Chill Penguin posted:

I don’t know about you guys, but I always use ‘mons that are new to me in each playthrough.

Yep, same, although I make exceptions for a 'mon I haven't used in a longass time and/or one that picked up a new trick or evolution or forme or something.

I like making new friends.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Decided I couldn't wait for Fish & Chips so I got Ultra Sun, very good. Anyway I'm now reading all kinds of nonsense on Smogon and stuff despite my strongest so far being Level 11. :v:

Also yes I try to use new mons when I got into a new gen, and Sigilyph, because he's my incomprehensible boy.

When we got my husband's little brother addicted to Pokemon at the tender age of 8, one of the first Pokemon I traded to him was a Sigilyph because it's cool. It ended up being one of his favorite Pokemon. :3: We raised the lad right.

Gripweed posted:

I started playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. First time I played a Pokemon since Pokemon Blue back in the day.

Why did they bother including three starters in this one? It's not like anybody would choose Torchic or the green one

Go to hell. And also :frogout: and also :fuckoff:

Nobody smack talks my boy Torchic in my presence.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Torchic is cute, but I checked all their evolutions first and I don't even know what happens to Torchic. It turns into a worse chicken, and then some kinda terrible bootcut kung fu mess

Treecko starts bad and ends bad, but my boy Wooper is outstanding from start to finish

Excuse me?

Nasgate posted:

All my favorite starters are in Smash, so I think I'm the best judge here. Torchic is barely cute and Blaziken is trash.

Excuse me?

Nasgate posted:

Blaziken sucks because it's a bad Digimon in a Pokemon game. And that supposed chicken it's based off of is way cooler, til.

What did you say to me, you little bitch?!

ItBreathes posted:

Blaziken was/is awesome, though Combuskin is the worst looking 2nd form.

Swampert is a house, but tweenage me wouldn't give the water type a chance. Painfully nerdy teenage me learned the error of those ways.

You're OK. I will not defend Combusken. I agree that thing is hideous.

Ya'll need to appreciate kung-fu kickboxing chicken who barbecues its own drumsticks more, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just got back from Detective Pikachu. Oh my god so loving good. :swoon: It was exactly what I wanted!

I immediately went and downloaded the game, as well, because I need more Det. Pikachu in my life right now!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hmm. So... Detective Pikachu the game is even less subtle about the foreshadowing, huh?

Oh Harry always loved his coffee. Harry loved his sweets, too! Too bad about Harry... Oh, Pikachu! Get out of the sweets! I swear, he was never like that before Harry disappeared. ... He never drank coffee, either.

Gee, I wonder.

Oh also I just finished the bit in the lab. I was happy to see a person of color! Hey, good job, game! A black man just doing normal things. That's nice. Oh... he's the dirtbag who slipped R to the Trevenant to make it go crazy. Great. Good job, game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The Detective Pikachu twist is kind of guessable by reading a one paragraph summary of the plot. It's not the most shocking.

Yeah... I know. I got it from the first trailer. I was just saying the game is not being subtle at all about the foreshadowing. That's all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Plus in lore terms, it's supposed to make Mewtwo weaker, so it doesn't make a lot of sense if it's supposed to essentially be Mega Mewtwo Z. I guess an in-game implementation might be that it reduces Special Attack and Speed while boosting Defense and Special Defense and making it Psychic/Steel instead of pure Psychic, and you don't use up your Mega Evolution slot the way MMX and MMY do.

If we're talking about the Mewtwo armor in the the first movie, the armor "focused" his psychic power. Whatever that means. No idea how it would translate to game mechanics either.

If that's not what we're talking about, then I got nothing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Giovanni lied. He told Mewtwo it was a “focus” but all it really did was weaken Mewtwo while he used it as a tool. When it found out, it blew the armor to bits and flew off.

:psyduck: Oooooookay that was definitely not in the movie.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zore posted:

That was explicitly in the movie

Once Giovanni spells out the plan and tries to use the armor to subdue Mewtwo it blows the armor off and almost collapses the area while flying away.

That's the opposite of explicit. He never outright says "Hahaha you fool that armor actually supresses your powers!"

Implicitly, sure, that's what's going on, but I think it's quite easy to not entirely get what's going on, considering how old the movie is and how long it's been since I've seen it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't understand what's going on here...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Elfgames posted:

the haircut dog has gotten a blasphemous haircut

Oh it's a doggo. I see now.

Listen, haircut doggo is a good doggo but Silvally is my beautiful son and how dare anyone say he's not needed?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

less laughter posted:

• Pokémon Trozei 3
  • Pokémon Pinball 3
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game 3
  • Pokémon Panel de Pon 3

Throw in a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and I'll allow it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finished the Detective Pikachu game. (Just in time for the sequel on Switch, hooray!)

Final conclusion: this is one of those rare cases where the movie was better than the source material. Not saying the game is bad! It's cute and charming. The movie is just better.

I look forward to the second game! Where we finally find out that Harry was with us the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

The game is cute and charming, but it's so low energy and aggressively and patronizingly for children that there's barely any actual game to enjoy.

Yeah, yeah. Like I said, I enjoyed the game but the movie is definitely better. I'm down for the sequel.

I liked talking to all the Pokemon. Yan-yan! :3: