Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Worst way to die in Samurai Shodown?
Getting eaten by a demon.
Getting hacked apart by a kabuki actor while stage hands dance on your corpse.
Getting crushed by a giant icicle summoned by a little girl.
Having all your major joints broken by a stealthy ninja.
Getting cleaved in two by a drunk rear end in a top hat.
Making the wrong decision twice while Ukyo has you in the corner.
View Results

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Just need Seiger and Basara confirmed and I'm golden. oh an also throw in that old guy who has wind powers that could float all over the place like a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Thinking about it, one of the things I've noticed people don't talk about with SamSho is the atmosphere. Like yes, this is the game where a Texas ninja beats up a guy named Caffeine Nicotine, but in that same game, the match ends in silence while your character hits their win pose. The winquote screen is the loser's corpse being stretchered off while the winner looks miserable because they just had to murder someone

What I'm saying is, please make this a guilt-ridden affair, SNK

I liked the stages in samsho5s with quiet or ambient backgrounds, which help build the tension of such a dangerous game as real swordplay, and then you land on that indoors stage with the upbeat shamisen rock music and its time to go ham.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Probe everyone who calls this Samurai Showdown

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pomp posted:

サムライスピリッツ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pomp posted:

Yeah....

Like you!!!!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Has anyone said Samurai Sho'nuff yet?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Reiley posted:

I liked the stages in samsho5s with quiet or ambient backgrounds, which help build the tension of such a dangerous game as real swordplay, and then you land on that indoors stage with the upbeat shamisen rock music and its time to go ham.

:yeah:

I liked this a lot in Samurai Shodown 3 because of how there was a background, and then like a unique super dark hell version of the background when both folks were close to death. And also the blood splattering finishes with you just standing there with the opponents blood all over you.

But man 1993-1995 SNK holy poo poo. They were dropping games with some of the best atmosphere ever in any game left and right.

Smoking Crow posted:

Thinking about it, one of the things I've noticed people don't talk about with SamSho is the atmosphere. Like yes, this is the game where a Texas ninja beats up a guy named Caffeine Nicotine, but in that same game, the match ends in silence while your character hits their win pose. The winquote screen is the loser's corpse being stretchered off while the winner looks miserable because they just had to murder someone

I talk about this in a lot of my way too many words long posts about how incredible SNK was back in the day, but like, so many video game devs rip off visuals and sounds and shots and designs from movies and music and pieces of art and so on, but SNK like, REALLY understood the underlying craft to what made those things truly great in their source material. And you can really see that reflected in how well the atmosphere in a lot of their games holds up today.

SNK's always made cool games, but in that standpoint you can see from like 1990 to 1992 how much they stepped up their game publishing cynical cash-in ripoff kind of stuff like Gang Wars and Burning Fight to dropping GOAT level stuff left and right.

They came to a head with King of Fighters '99 and arguably 2000 in a way. Like think about when they were being developed and when that concept art came out, this was a game with that soundtrack and those new character designs with those abilities with roots that predates Matrix Reloaded, X-Men 2000, and even the original Matrix. That's crazy forward thinking and having their finger on the pulse for the time.

But they sure as hell go their reputation for that with Samurai Shodown. I'm happy to see people excited for the big damage, I always loved how, like, graceful the movement in the SS games is vs. the super over blown every heavy slash hits like a freight train and the world has ended impacts. I typed "floaty" instead of graceful at first, but like, the controls are fine, it's just how it intentionally is and that owns.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 1, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014
99/00 really did have unprecedented style. I wish 2002 UM had their backgrounds instead of the generally drab ones they picked. Maybe they'll read this and make 2002 UM Good Stages Edition

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smoking Crow posted:

That's what makes the engrish so good, those games can be grim as hell but their translations are even sillier and nonsensical than their other games for some reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I do a lot of rough translating for work and i just like how it sounds when stuff is a little too slavish to the source text and full of turns of phrase that arent cliched in english.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ryo Sakazaki caling the person he just defeated a "dweebenheimer" is one of the greatest moments in fighting games.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's what makes the engrish so good, those games can be grim as hell but their translations are even sillier and nonsensical than their other games for some reason.

The best is in Samurai shodown 1 in English several characters will say "Wherever you go, my spear will find you." Despite Kyoshiro being the only one with a spear-like weapon.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Oh, are we talking SNKglish?

I discovered SNK and got really into their translations about a year and a half ago, and man, the translations are fascinating. SNK was doing simultaneous translation so they could have a global ROM in the 90s, and they clearly had a native speaker coming in and cleaning stuff up after like, two games. (near as I can tell the break is Art of Fighting 1 - the story is super bland like Fatal Fury 1 and 2, but the win quotes show the start of what would become the SNK house style) The simultaneous translation meant they could do crazy poo poo like English vocals that match the text for some endings in Fatal Fury Special, and sometimes lines or concepts would go back and forth between the English and Japanese. It's nuts.

...so what I'm saying is I have no idea how SamSho 2's translation happened. It's wildly out of style and the only thing I can think of is that they only had one native speaker and that guy was busy weirding up Fatal Fury 3.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MarsDragon posted:

Oh, are we talking SNKglish?

I discovered SNK and got really into their translations about a year and a half ago, and man, the translations are fascinating. SNK was doing simultaneous translation so they could have a global ROM in the 90s, and they clearly had a native speaker coming in and cleaning stuff up after like, two games. (near as I can tell the break is Art of Fighting 1 - the story is super bland like Fatal Fury 1 and 2, but the win quotes show the start of what would become the SNK house style) The simultaneous translation meant they could do crazy poo poo like English vocals that match the text for some endings in Fatal Fury Special, and sometimes lines or concepts would go back and forth between the English and Japanese. It's nuts.

...so what I'm saying is I have no idea how SamSho 2's translation happened. It's wildly out of style and the only thing I can think of is that they only had one native speaker and that guy was busy weirding up Fatal Fury 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gross lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I've been thinking about it for like 15 years

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've been thinking about it for like 15 years

SNK, in their genius, managed to use the correct modern context of "blood is thicker than water" and then filet it by having Krauser say this (it's his prefight quote for his half-brother, Geese Howard), so we know that his desire for victory is greater than any familial bond which matches a more correct translation of the phrase (the opposite of how truncated way we'd look at it now). This is in the same game where Krauser is like "Geez, what a tough!" and Terry is like "OOOOH, ya make me so mad ya big silly!" Fuckin' amazing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Found on 4chan so take with a grain of salt

quote:

>set between SS5 and SS1 (so no, you will get more than SS1/2 characters)
>game will have a lot of characters
>last trailer was made because people were angry for the lack of infos at EVO Japan
>they have a lot to show but they can't do it because someone in the marketing department don't want to show anything before getting a publisher for each region
>we will get a real trailer (last one was a teaser trailer) with everything in the PAX demo before the event
>It's an important game for SNK, they want to be back on the market with more than just KOF like it was during their golden era (which can lead to more games if this one is a success)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Greatest moment in all of storytelling:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't really played all that much SamSho other than seeing it in the arcades occasionally. I know V Special is available, is that the best game to get into the series with? On the other hand I heard 2 was the fan favorite.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Actually a fairly legit translation!

"In the pink" means "doing well" or "in good health", and the Japanese word it's referring to is means "going perfectly". Then "wubba wubba" was an MTV personality's catchphrase, so really Terry's just saying that he's doing great and he watches MTV, which we all knew to be true. It just, you know, sounds really weird even though it's made out of real, idiomatic English. From what I can tell Terry had a lot of work put into him, which means all his lines are especially strange but not much is actually inaccurate. In Japanese it's the same line as one of his FF2 lines, which was rendered thusly in English:

But most of the time FFS' lines were improvements on FF2's lines. See Billy's standard introduction:

The Japanese line roughly translates to "It’s been a while. Taste my powered up bojutsu." and you can see that the FF2 translation came straight out of a phrasebook + a literal reading of bojutsu and the FFS line has been touched up to add, uh, innuendo but also a pretty good play on words.

This is still my favorite FFS line, though. Axel and Laurence to Geese:

...I should probably take this to the KoF thread, since I really haven't had time to dig into Samurai Shodown yet and I can't talk about what's in there at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Have some SS examples

night slime
May 14, 2014
Kind of want to know what the deal is with that last one but not interested enough to google NAMBLA and keywords.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am trash at fighting games but my local arcade had SS 1 and 2 growing up and I loved them. I was not aware that there had been any made after 2 so this is pretty exciting news for me. I don't remember 1 and 2 being big damage type games, was that changed in the later releases? I think 1 and 2 had pretty normal '90s fighting game damage levels.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't really played all that much SamSho other than seeing it in the arcades occasionally. I know V Special is available, is that the best game to get into the series with? On the other hand I heard 2 was the fan favorite.

5s because there are more constructive people playing it

2 technically has a bigger player base but it's all Brazilians screeching at each other on fightcade

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

guppy posted:

I am trash at fighting games but my local arcade had SS 1 and 2 growing up and I loved them. I was not aware that there had been any made after 2 so this is pretty exciting news for me. I don't remember 1 and 2 being big damage type games, was that changed in the later releases? I think 1 and 2 had pretty normal '90s fighting game damage levels.

I was about to disagree with this but then remembered that Samurai Shodown and Virtua Fighter came out in the same year.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Smoking Crow posted:

2 technically has a bigger player base but it's all Brazilians screeching at each other on fightcade

I can confirm this

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I love this series while being complete rear end at it. I hope to actually improve with this installment, because the last one I played somewhat seriously was when I was like 13

Is it confirmed it's only the 2 roster, or are those all the characters confirmed so far?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 2, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
if it's supposed to take place after ss5s which is a prequel, and before ss1, hopefully there are some ss5s characters. some of them are really cool

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zand posted:

if it's supposed to take place after ss5s which is a prequel, and before ss1, hopefully there are some ss5s characters. some of them are really cool

Mina died on the way to her home planet.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Mama see mama sa Amakusa
Mama see mama sa Amakusa

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Reiley posted:

Mina died on the way to her home planet.

I'd take anyone in the Warriors' Rage cast over Mina. Hell if they somehow had Shiki and Mikoto in the same game that would own.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I wish the game didn't graphically look like a recent Street Fighter game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brosnan posted:

I wish the game didn't graphically look like a recent Street Fighter game.

Its doing the painterly thing that sfv forgot they were doing after they made ryu and chun. I think it can work if they apply it consistently and dont make everything look like claymation homunculi

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

SAT 03/30 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM Samurai Shodown – Resurrecting a Legend

Samurai Shodown is back with a vengeance! Join Samurai Shodown’s own Yasuyuki Oda and Nobuyuki Kuroki, along with Yasushi Adachi, the Director of the original version of the game, in an in-depth discussion on what it takes to relaunch a once popular franchise after nearly a decade out of the fight genre spotlight. From a new look to updating mechanics, come learn about the difficult creative decisions that come with modernizing a once popular fight game. In addition they will reveal an exclusive, sneak peek of something new in this panel that you won’t want to miss.

PANELISTS
Yasuyuki Oda [Producer], Nobuyuki Kuroki [Director], Yasushi Adachi [Director, Samurai Shodown 1], Josh Weatherford [Game Designer, Studio 1], Adam Laatz [Director of Business Development], Laurent Vernezy [Business Development]

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/samurai-shodown-resurrecting-a-legend

Guess on the sneak peek?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Probably Shiki or a release date+pre-order to get a DLC character free or something.

Dream scenario: New Art of Fighting

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Neo Rasa posted:

Probably Shiki or a release date+pre-order to get a DLC character free or something.

Dream scenario: New Art of Fighting

neo_g said in an interview that after completing KOF14 and samsho7, he wanted to make Metal Slug 8, Garou 2, Fatal Fury 4, Art of Fighting 4 and reopen Neo-Geo Land

that last one got shot down sadly

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Anakron199X/status/1100750663909298176

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
As one of those 7 people out there, SS3 was the one my friends in our fighting groups played the most. Yes, half the cast was unbalanced garbage, but we had some of our most intense fights from the characters that were actually good.

SamSho was always fun the play in the arcades growing up. Although, one time I nearly got my rear end beat up, because I double perfected someone with only Hanzo pile drivers in 3. It's like a chef's kiss when you run up to someone and just pile drive their rear end, and 3 was amazing with all that speed.

Then life got better when the SS3/SS4 bundle arrived from Japan for Saturn and played with those godly Saturn Controllers.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

We just can't escape the harsh reality that our favorite characters are shitholes to others. C'mon, let's be honest. We've come across the usual Ukyo is gay >:-( Nakoruru's a b*tch which perfectly suits the hentai junkies everywhere, weak, pathetic, Charlotte's a lesbian, Haohmaru stinks, and the Anti-character society. What's new? Makes your blood (how revoltin') boil though, ne?

Well, their differences is the beauty of it all. Well, suppose we make each character perfect, same speed, same strength same in everythin'. Like, what if every character's a Nakoruru? I don't think you'd be happy either, if you are a Nakoruru fan. It would be pretty bored and you can't explore the true nature of the character 'coz hell, the computer's doin' it for you.

And what about their appearances? Oh, Haohmaru's yucky >:-( look at those ugly scars. Look at Kyoshiro, he's so ugly. Then, when you meet someone like Ukyo (MiCah, stop droolin'), you call him gay >:-( WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!! I DON'T GET HOW CONFUSED YOU BELITTLED BRAINS ARE!!! Sheesh! What, jealous 'coz the guys got groupies and you don't? Get a life!

And this goes the same as with the other characters. You can't appreciate the how bonny or handsome a character is without the ugly ones! Goes the same with their strength. There will always be the greater ones and weaker ones, but how can you tell? Have YOU mastered this "weak" character well enought to say that he'/she's an unacceptable piece of poo poo? Then how come when a true fan uses him/her, they manage the game? Thought of THAT lately? You only have the right when you have COMPLETELY MASTERED EVERY CHARACTER. Then you can weigh who's great and not. But it doesn't give you the right to belittle others and their characters, coz, who knows? Maybe this fanatic has more tricks up his sleeves than you do about the character.

And there's the competition. Oh, character's better than yours. It can't be avoided, but hell don't get the heat up! I don't have a problem if you like other characters unless you start to annoy people. I mean, hell, you can brag to the whole f***in human race that Shizumaru's the greatest swordsman. Fine, but you know not all will agree with you. So don't shove it! If someones disagrees, it's his/her right. But don't become sworn enemies for such low reasons. We were blessed with intellect y'know. AND you don't go in an Ukyo club just to say, "F you, SOB's! This character rules!" YOU ARE SO PATHETIC!!! You don't have to degrade other characters because a conqueror cannot be great without his conquests! And hell, I don't like a particular character, but I KEEP IT TO MYSELF damnit! Why? COZ I KNOW THE FANS WILL SUCK MY BLOOD (How revoltin') DRY IF I SAID SO!!! Discipline is needed if we want a peaceful community.

Samurai Shodown IS DEAD! As much as I hate to admit it, SNK got bankrupt and we can't do no nothin' about it. Years maybe some fans will revive the game (MC/Ukyo_M, AKM, Violet Pimp: :-) ). But right now, IT'S 6 FEET BELOW THE EARTH DEAD! Makin' war against other SS fans won't solve the freakin' problem, and will only make the remainin' fans LOATHE the game 'coz ya you!!! So don't give a drat about your hated characters, and don't piss other fans off! Live your life as a fan of your most favorite character and not as a jerk off a-hole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SS3 is broken in a hundred different ways but it's kinda fitting for Samsho that every character can one-touch every other character pretty much whenever.