Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Worst way to die in Samurai Shodown?
Getting eaten by a demon.
Getting hacked apart by a kabuki actor while stage hands dance on your corpse.
Getting crushed by a giant icicle summoned by a little girl.
Having all your major joints broken by a stealthy ninja.
Getting cleaved in two by a drunk rear end in a top hat.
Making the wrong decision twice while Ukyo has you in the corner.
View Results

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

They need to increase the Damage.

that anti air did pitiful work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Is there slowdown in the youtube videos or is that the game? Or is my PC hosed.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That looks very bad. Every hitbox looks short and stubby while the models look like they're made of plastic.

e: And where the gently caress did all the damage go?

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 25, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

personally I love the great strides in the art style from KOF. Backgrounds look very stylized and the shader used on the characters look like what SF4 could have been, if they weren't all potato people with gross body proportions.

Agreed on all counts though that Charlotte's design is kind of awful without like 2/3 of her armor and the damage is too low.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
God drat that damage sucks, is that how samsho 6 was too?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Reiley posted:

They need to increase the Damage.

Definitely. That's pathetic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe they lowered it to show the game in a preview or else every hit would end the round and we wouldnt see anything? Im grasping at straws

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think the damage looks too bad, you gotta remember the ridiculous strikes people remember required full rage. The supers also do tons of damage but I kinda don't wanna watch those over and over.

In Training posted:

You didn't know?

I can't remember the last time I bothered to read his posts.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

dt's probated so at least we won't have to see Shiki lewds for the next month

I like the art style, and am sold on the mechanics, but I agree the damage looks off for certain moves.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ignis posted:

dt's probated so at least we won't have to see Shiki lewds for the next month

I like the art style, and am sold on the mechanics, but I agree the damage looks off for certain moves.

He's actually banned.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Some moves do a lot of damage. Looks fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to hold off judgement until it's actually out, also I have to wait for the pc version anyway so whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

McTimmy posted:

He's actually banned.

Hes jacking off to senran karuga in heaven now

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Endorph posted:

Ukyo's based on Okita Souji, a famous swordsman who died young from tuberculosis. Not so much in terms of personality, design, or role in the story, mostly just the tuberculosis thing.

Smoking Crow posted:

Haohmaru is based on Miyamoto Misashi, Ukyo was supposed to be Sasaki Kojiro but became Goemon XIII, Yoshitora is Tokugawa Ienari, Hanzo is...Hattori Hanzo

He's kinda sorta both at the same time because of how they did it. The longer than average sword Ukyo uses was based on a longer than average one Kojiro had made irl. Haohmaru and Ukyo also the share the same background (Gairyu Island) which is certainly a play on the Ganryu Island that Musashi Miyamoto and Kojiro dueled on irl (it's the same background, just one at day and one at night - Musashi showed up late).

Some samurai flicks I don't see people bring up much lately that imo are pro-watches for Samurai Shodown fans:

Samurai I - Musashi Miyamoto (1954)
Samurai II - Duel at Ichijoji Temple (1955)
Samurai III - Duel at Ganryu (1956)
- I mean the titles kind of tell you what you're getting, just do a Google image search of these titles and you'll feel compelled to watch them.

Samurai Reincarnation (1981) - The Samurai Shodown versions of Yagyu Jubei and Amakusa are from this movie. If you remember those 90s live action movies and anime like Ninja Resurrection, Reborn from Hell, Samurai Armageddon, etc. those take a lot from this flick. It was directed by Kinji Fukasaku and stars Sonny Chiba as Jubei so why are even you still reading this post? :getin:

Shogun Assassin (1980) - This is stuff from two different Lone Wolf and Cub movies edited into one 85 minute action movie, and despite that heavy truncation it works and owns.

Sword of Doom (1966) - This flick is pretty impressive for how detached and downbeat it is. Something interesting about is that it was meant to be followed by two sequels to complete a full adaptation of its extremely long source material. But with only this movie on its own it comes off as a really cynical de-glamorizing of what samurai were all about.

Zatoichi Challenged (1967) - This one's actually considered among the weaker of the Zatoichi movies for good reason buuuut it has a fight towards the very end that's loving awesome and looks beautiful. Maybe just YouTube that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sword of doom is cool

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
I mean, here's some real deal damage if that's what you're looking for. Super at around 10:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_CP5AO4k3w&t=647s

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Haohmaru is cool as gently caress because he wields his warrior's katana like a big goon with a baseball bat.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I kind of really hate Charlotte's new design.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I like new charlotte, game looks fun

unless yoshitora's specials still play the same in which case fuuuck

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

inthesto posted:

I kind of really hate Charlotte's new design.

I do too. All they did was remove her skirt and tie her hair back but it just looks wrong. Doubly so because she appears to be the only character that got a redesign.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe they're recycling a Heroines DLC model that never got used.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Overbite posted:

I do too. All they did was remove her skirt and tie her hair back but it just looks wrong. Doubly so because she appears to be the only character that got a redesign.

The dumbest thing to me is how they gave her those fetish stocking sorta legging things instead of the boots with knee armor she normally has. I mean those were ridiculous too in their own way but they were a lot cooler and like you say it's ridiculous that she's the only one that got a redesign and it's half-assed and worse in every way.

I wonder if they plan on doing some limited costume DLC like they did with KoF. Most of those were based on classic outfits and a couple of gimmick ones but here everyone's already basically got their classic look except for Charlotte.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe they're recycling a Heroines DLC model that never got used.

That makes a lot of sense.

Could also be just what happens if you're a blond fighting game character from the 90s in a new game, your hair has to be tied back now it's the law (see also Ken, Ky Kiske, etc.)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 26, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I watched some more gameplay videos and the damage is mostly ok but I can't get used to how the huge counterhits, especially from heavy attacks, aren't what they used to be. I guess samsho6 has similar changes to damage too though from ss5s. right now, I think this game could benefit from a fast timer, but it's hard to judge fgs from beta gameplay since most all the players will suck

this games going to be playable at pax this weekend so there might be good stuff coming out of that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm just here disappointed at how apparently final strikes don't cut people in half anymore.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It looks like they've moved the damage out of counter-hits and onto that once-per-match megasuper thing. This makes sense for multiple design reasons and I still hate it because ridiculous counterhits are what I most remember about Samurai Shodown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm just here disappointed at how apparently final strikes don't cut people in half anymore.

I'm hoping this isn't present to make it easy to to serve the trailer internationally but that it's in the final game. It was such a stylish and not gory at all depiction of it and so drat cool looking. It'd be stupid to not have it in this.

Then again given past attempts in the 3D games......

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Corbeau posted:

It looks like they've moved the damage out of counter-hits and onto that once-per-match megasuper thing. This makes sense for multiple design reasons and I still hate it because ridiculous counterhits are what I most remember about Samurai Shodown.

This is exactly how I feel. If you whiff a random dp or something you should swallow a full BC or CD (I forget which it is) and it should be like half a health bar unscaled.

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009
You can definitely still cut people in half, Haohmaru gets cut in half right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06bZXuxzB60&t=336s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lisonfire posted:

You can definitely still cut people in half, Haohmaru gets cut in half right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06bZXuxzB60&t=336s

Badass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why does he despawn?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite engrish bits in fighting games

"Victoly! Don't you think I'm scrumptious?" (Last Blade, I think)

And this one is funny because someone thought this was a good idea

"Me rikey da fighty!" I cannot remember which game this was from, but I swear it's a real win quote. Power Instinct maybe?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Real hurthling! posted:

Why does he despawn?

Don't they despawn in the classic games too?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sure but they have the ram for both a dead body and a victory pose now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Not on the Xbox :OmegaLUL:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's just polite to clean up corpse chunks from the battlefield in a timely manner.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
I find the thick outlines on the characters very distracting (was not a fan of this style on SF4).

Ukyo reminds me of James from Team Rocket.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

SamSho was never about hyper gore. I'm glad they're not ramping it up to MK levels.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm glad they kept true to it because it had impact back in the day. In other fighting games someone's knocked out, but in Samurai Shodown? That dude just got CUT IN HALF and faded away because in old 2D games that meant the character was DEAD and there's the little bit of the guys carrying away the corpse after because YOU KILLED THEM. :hellyeah:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 27, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/ManChest/status/1111067708991258624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lisonfire posted:

VICTOLY!

GBS Ambassador posted:

I find the thick outlines on the characters very distracting (was not a fan of this style on SF4).

Ukyo reminds me of James from Team Rocket.

Guess what James from Team Rocket and Ukyo have in common?

in the Japanese version of the anime, Jessie and James are named Musashi and Kojiro

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 28, 2019