Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Worst way to die in Samurai Shodown?
Getting eaten by a demon.
Getting hacked apart by a kabuki actor while stage hands dance on your corpse.
Getting crushed by a giant icicle summoned by a little girl.
Having all your major joints broken by a stealthy ninja.
Getting cleaved in two by a drunk rear end in a top hat.
Making the wrong decision twice while Ukyo has you in the corner.
View Results

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

i went to pax today and spent a while playing the new samsho. it's fun! my only frame of reference wrt samsho is 5sp so i will say the game feels like 5sp but stripped down. summary below:

- buttons are L, M, H, and K. no more having to press a+b on the same frame for a heavy slash. it'll take a bit to get used to if you have previous samsho experience.
- L+M dodges in place a la smash or ex mode in 98. M+H is 5sp universal overhead. L+M+H makes you rage explode and pressing L+M+H again basically gives you 5sp issen. incidentally some guy was like 'do rekka' and i did a rekka and i assume he tried to rage burst while in hitstun but nothing happened.
- H+K is grab. there's a fat whiff animation unlike 5sp where you only get the whiff if the opponent is throwable and in range. interestingly there's no canned followups but there is enough time to link stuff after like dp or 5m or super or what have you.
- everyone basically has the same normals from 5sp. i'm not kidding: close normals, run normals, 2c/3c/6c, etc. were virtually all identical animation-wise. granted i only messed with haoh, genjuro, and charlotte (the other playable chars are nako, galford, and EARTHQUAKE) but nako and galford's stuff all looked the same too. the only new normal i saw was haoh 5k? but it occupies the same space as the old 5c anyways,
- yes charlotte still has the gently caress you crossup jump heavy. maybe it was just me but i got command grabbed by earthquake every time it got blocked? almost as if there is significant landing recovery. maybe it's like 5sp where you have to manually time your rejump but i'm pretty sure i also tried mashing backdash. it's that or the game has extremely short blockstun a la 5sp and i sure as heck wasn't doing the charlotte j.Hs deep. ironically i couldn't jump over earthquake.
- recoil cancels are in the game. they work the same
- (ukyo main here) boy it's hard as gently caress to anti-air reliably when your dps get stuffed during startup and ur crouch heavy takes a year to come out. had a hard time air-to-airing people as well. maybe they're more reliable in less laggier conditions
- 236L+M is 5sp deflect. i'm assuming it works the same but i don't recall deflecting a heavy attack (which disarms the other guy in 5sp). you still get a fat heavy slash for your troubles.
- the game doesn't have the D movement options from 5sp. you can do wakeup roll forward/backward but that's it. this is a Big Deal to me since rolling/hopping/ducking is a staple method of navigating around projectiles in 5sp. if you're used to neutral jumping hadoukens in ST you'll be at home but it's another thing you have to sorta unlearn from 5sp. tangentially, there is no kenka gauge. have fun mashing charlotte 5m
- the screens were way too close so i wasn't really paying attention to the hud; ergo i wasn't paying enough attention to the damage. it seems fine honestly? iirc haoh heavy slash and close M into fierce dp both did like 25%. i think the heavy slash is like 33% on galford.
- the even bigger haoh slash (of mizuumi wiki fame) is now a super. there's also these 'super secret specials' or w/e that you do with 641236H+K iirc. my conjecture is you only get to use them once a match? haoh's did a fuckload of damage and i assume so does every other char's equivalents. i was doing these hidden supers at first cuz i'm used to doing WFTs with C+D but it turns out supers are 236M+H instead.

there's a whole bunch of system mechanic questions i'd like to figure out by labbing but ALAS i don't feel like playing no-dlc sf5 with people half my age in the byoc room so i probably won't go tomorrow. in any case i hope my samsho summary was educational. #EmbraceDeath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

bad metaphors posted:

- yes charlotte still has the gently caress you crossup jump heavy.

Thank you for reporting on the only piece of news that actually matters

I'll miss backroll to Violent Thrust though

night slime
May 14, 2014

bad metaphors posted:

everyone basically has the same normals from 5sp. i'm not kidding: close normals, run normals, 2c/3c/6c, etc. were virtually all identical animation-wise. granted i only messed with haoh, genjuro, and charlotte (the other playable chars are nako, galford, and EARTHQUAKE) but nako and galford's stuff all looked the same too. the only new normal i saw was haoh 5k? but it occupies the same space as the old 5c anyways,

It was kind of a funny realization to me that SNK has to go back and play old SNK games to figure out what to do when they bring back long-gone characters like Angel/Tung/Tizoc or whoever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The hop stuff being gone is kind of a bummer, it's definitely part of the unique feel that I associate with SamSho

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Real hurthling! posted:

Sure but they have the ram for both a dead body and a victory pose now
I guess it's one of those things like "why do eyepatches change sides when characters turn around in the 3D guilty gear games" where it's kept as a deliberate callback to 2d games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bad metaphors posted:

i went to pax today and spent a while playing the new samsho. it's fun! my only frame of reference wrt samsho is 5sp so i will say the game feels like 5sp but stripped down. summary below:

- buttons are L, M, H, and K. no more having to press a+b on the same frame for a heavy slash. it'll take a bit to get used to if you have previous samsho experience.
- L+M dodges in place a la smash or ex mode in 98. M+H is 5sp universal overhead. L+M+H makes you rage explode and pressing L+M+H again basically gives you 5sp issen. incidentally some guy was like 'do rekka' and i did a rekka and i assume he tried to rage burst while in hitstun but nothing happened.
- H+K is grab. there's a fat whiff animation unlike 5sp where you only get the whiff if the opponent is throwable and in range. interestingly there's no canned followups but there is enough time to link stuff after like dp or 5m or super or what have you.
- everyone basically has the same normals from 5sp. i'm not kidding: close normals, run normals, 2c/3c/6c, etc. were virtually all identical animation-wise. granted i only messed with haoh, genjuro, and charlotte (the other playable chars are nako, galford, and EARTHQUAKE) but nako and galford's stuff all looked the same too. the only new normal i saw was haoh 5k? but it occupies the same space as the old 5c anyways,
- yes charlotte still has the gently caress you crossup jump heavy. maybe it was just me but i got command grabbed by earthquake every time it got blocked? almost as if there is significant landing recovery. maybe it's like 5sp where you have to manually time your rejump but i'm pretty sure i also tried mashing backdash. it's that or the game has extremely short blockstun a la 5sp and i sure as heck wasn't doing the charlotte j.Hs deep. ironically i couldn't jump over earthquake.
- recoil cancels are in the game. they work the same
- (ukyo main here) boy it's hard as gently caress to anti-air reliably when your dps get stuffed during startup and ur crouch heavy takes a year to come out. had a hard time air-to-airing people as well. maybe they're more reliable in less laggier conditions
- 236L+M is 5sp deflect. i'm assuming it works the same but i don't recall deflecting a heavy attack (which disarms the other guy in 5sp). you still get a fat heavy slash for your troubles.
- the game doesn't have the D movement options from 5sp. you can do wakeup roll forward/backward but that's it. this is a Big Deal to me since rolling/hopping/ducking is a staple method of navigating around projectiles in 5sp. if you're used to neutral jumping hadoukens in ST you'll be at home but it's another thing you have to sorta unlearn from 5sp. tangentially, there is no kenka gauge. have fun mashing charlotte 5m
- the screens were way too close so i wasn't really paying attention to the hud; ergo i wasn't paying enough attention to the damage. it seems fine honestly? iirc haoh heavy slash and close M into fierce dp both did like 25%. i think the heavy slash is like 33% on galford.
- the even bigger haoh slash (of mizuumi wiki fame) is now a super. there's also these 'super secret specials' or w/e that you do with 641236H+K iirc. my conjecture is you only get to use them once a match? haoh's did a fuckload of damage and i assume so does every other char's equivalents. i was doing these hidden supers at first cuz i'm used to doing WFTs with C+D but it turns out supers are 236M+H instead.

there's a whole bunch of system mechanic questions i'd like to figure out by labbing but ALAS i don't feel like playing no-dlc sf5 with people half my age in the byoc room so i probably won't go tomorrow. in any case i hope my samsho summary was educational. #EmbraceDeath

gently caress yeah straight from Samurai Shodown 3.

Thank you for sharing all of this. I'm excited but I will miss all the hopping/etc. too. I mean even as early as Samurai Shodown 2 you could tap down twice to go prone to avoid projectiles so I'm kind of surprised that's all gone.

The big damage is a relief too. I got the impression from earlier videos too that the secret super moves are a once a match thing. I wonder if they'll still make you really commit and have it kill your gauge for the rest of the match too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it does remove your meter for the rest of the match based on the gameplay footage I've seen

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
A brand new character has been announced. Her name is Darli Dagger

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Samurai Shodown Collection for Switch. Will contain everything between the original and V Special and is being done by Digital Eclipse, the same guys who did the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Darli Daggers is cool

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

bad metaphors posted:

i went to pax today

charlotte

so how about the hops

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Samurai Shodown Collection for Switch. Will contain everything between the original and V Special and is being done by Digital Eclipse, the same guys who did the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection.

Strongly considering getting that fightstick adaptor for the switch for this and Guilty Gear's collection coming out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The last collection has 6 but no 5S, this one will have 5S but not 6, figures.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The last collection has 6 but no 5S, this one will have 5S but not 6, figures.

I'd almost rather have the 4 3D games than 6 just because 6 is already on PS4.

Or at least the GB port because holy shiiiiiiit that soundtrack :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfBMyniq3d4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDcwQMB0m78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3LY0b2ueE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rkGhE3vCE

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Here's the entire PAX Panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83AoQceMHE

They showed some interesting concept art for the first game, and also this dope picture of Haohmaru I've never seen before

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd almost rather have the 4 3D games than 6 just because 6 is already on PS4.

I'd like for all the neo geo 64 games to be re-released, but no source code probably

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

oh yea idk if people are aware of this yet or not but there's a couple of new mechanics in the game. 1. there's an instant block but idk what benefits it gives besides 2. pressing L+M after an instant block makes your char do this alpha counter-esque attack. speaking for genjuro at least he does this shoulder barge which is very fast but doesn't have much range. without a training mode i can't tell you if it has invul or anything else but my hunch is you'll be seeing this technique a LOT more once the masses get their hands on the game.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

lastly can i also say how hosed up earthquake's j.h is

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ignis posted:

, and also this dope picture of Haohmaru I've never seen before

This picture is the cover art for both the original game and its various ports. It's so rad, the full image is huge too.

Part of why I'm so hype for the new collection of the Neo Geo games is the hope that it has a good gallery. Between my wife and I we both still have a bunch of SNK art books from the 90s but it would be awesome for that stuff to all be in one place in a wider release for people in good quality. SNK's art is God-tier stuff and a lot of the Samurai Shodown stuff is especially is great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bad metaphors posted:

oh yea idk if people are aware of this yet or not but there's a couple of new mechanics in the game. 1. there's an instant block but idk what benefits it gives besides 2. pressing L+M after an instant block makes your char do this alpha counter-esque attack. speaking for genjuro at least he does this shoulder barge which is very fast but doesn't have much range.

This sounds like the block, then forward+A before the incoming attack hits (or if it whiffs) unique moves each person had in the Fatal Fury games. Between that and the SS3/old KOF side stepping it's interesting how far back they're going.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd like for all the neo geo 64 games to be re-released, but no source code probably

Yeah like I know none of them are GREAT but they should be collected somewhere for posterity at least. I liked the second Samurai Shodown and Beast Busters on there though.

Where is Buriki-Two cowards?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 31, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

The hardware is real weird, nobody's properly emulated it yet, and also I don't think anyone particularly likes the games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Digital Eclipse's emulation isn't always perfect but their art galleries are consistently strong, the SNK 40th gallery in particular is crazy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Kins posted:

The hardware is real weird, nobody's properly emulated it yet, and also I don't think anyone particularly likes the games.

I would like for Buriki-One to exist because in my head, it's what I want out of a fighting game (minus ring outs, put that poo poo in the cage)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Even though I enjoyed it, I think Wild Ambition was the biggest misstep for them with that hardware. Like the two Samurai Shodown games, the graphics were fine for when they came out and they did some cool things that made them feel unique. But for Wild Ambition the graphics took a huge hit because they wanted it to play faster and closer to how the other FF games felt. But in doing so it feels kind of like Just Another Real Bout game, and in a world where they already have games as slickly presented as RBS and RBFF2 it comes off as redundant. I know Buriki-One is uh questionable in some ways but the library went way too easily into "our old games, but with mediocre 3D graphics instead of some of the best 2D graphics presentation in the industry" territory.

Beast Busters 2nd Nightmare fuckin' owns though, those guns are HUGE and you could shoot zombies in half and everything.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I appreciate Buriki because no one else has tried to do a serious MMA fighting game since

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Re: The Neo Geo 64, some SNK veteran thoughts on it from Retro Gamer Magazine #187.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
They're going to reveal the other two characters on a live stream tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGAnPCkW9Q
https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial

Eventhubs story:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...odown-7-pm-pdt/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sugoi_wotoko/status/1114056656948617216

The official site has new renders up for them, pretty rad imo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 5, 2019

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Neo Rasa posted:

https://twitter.com/sugoi_wotoko/status/1114056656948617216

The official site has new renders up for them, pretty rad imo.

I stared at the silhouette teaser for so long I convinced myself that the Chinese lady was holding a flying guillotine and... Yeah. Guess it's actually a feng shui razor gong that summons a dragon?

It seems ludicrous to say that I'm disappointed in a feng shui razor gong that summons a dragon, but guys, I'm really disappointed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sarchasm posted:

I stared at the silhouette teaser for so long I convinced myself that the Chinese lady was holding a flying guillotine and... Yeah. Guess it's actually a feng shui razor gong that summons a dragon?

It seems ludicrous to say that I'm disappointed in a feng shui razor gong that summons a dragon, but guys, I'm really disappointed.

that's just Bayonetta, complete with glasses, mole, dragon summon, and the big bobs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like the lady with the ninja turtle looking toes

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Apparently it's a guy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh ok. The hip flare and hair threw me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Basara DLC will make it all okay.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ha

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:iceburn: :master:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Character trailer and more screenshots including retro 3D DLC costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIdRCr2hW4

https://www.allgamesdelta.net/2019/04/samurai-shodown-releases-for-ps4-and.html

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

My body is ready for Human Cyrax caliber shenanigans.

Also with thes outfits want to live in the timeline where this game has "dip switch" settings like Dreamcast SSFIITX so you can rebuild the previous games' gameplay/normals/damage/etc. if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
I liked how in the old FLEX demo/beta or whatever it was they had the retro voices from SF EX. They should do that with those costumes.