Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Thought I'd bounce this off you guys before I posted it in DIY

I got the toilet back in the master and while the flange repair works (yay!) the supply valve has started leaking at the knob. When open it's about 3 drops per minute, when closed it's about 1 drop a minute. I have a bucket there for now and it cranked closed so I don't have to dump it every other hour.

What kind of repair am I looking at here? Is there a rubber grommet inside this valve? Am I gonna have to replace the entire valve or is there an easier fix? I will do whatever is the best option, just never done plumbing bullshit before.

Edit: A little googling told me I can shut off the main, and check to condition of interior washers. Sounds like a good idea?

Just replace the valve, it's simple and does not take a lot of time and the best way to do this repair barring tearing out all that copper and switching your house to pex. Bernzomatic even sells a soldering kit with flux, solder, and torch for like $30, the valve will be like $10 at the most, probably closer to $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I got the toilet back in the master and while the flange repair works (yay!) the supply valve has started leaking at the knob. When open it's about 3 drops per minute, when closed it's about 1 drop a minute. I have a bucket there for now and it cranked closed so I don't have to dump it every other hour.

What kind of repair am I looking at here? Is there a rubber grommet inside this valve? Am I gonna have to replace the entire valve or is there an easier fix? I will do whatever is the best option, just never done plumbing bullshit before.

Edit: A little googling told me I can shut off the main, and check to condition of interior washers. Sounds like a good idea?

You can try to replace the core and seals in the valve but honestly it's probably corroded and that's why it's leaking.
You've got plenty of pipe to work with, just hack the old valve off, sand the pipe, and sweat on a new valve. ORRRRRR see if you can get a valve that has the shark bite fitting if you don't trust yourself to play with fire.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Can't really tell from the dark picture, but don't overthink it. If it's leaking from the knob, tighten the packing nut right behind the knob just a little bit. That'll probably fix the problem. (and I recognize the irony of saying "don't overthink it" with me just having taken 3 days troubleshooting a parasitic power drain on the Escalade that ended up being just a dead battery.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll try the packing nut turn. If that doesn't work I'll stop at Menards tomorrow for a full repair kit.

And while this bathroom isn't amazing, it's looking a lot better than the DJBeatster guy's efforts.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Based upon the colour of the wall, trim, and toilet, your washroom is probably boringly normal which is a-loving-okay and 100x better than beatmasterj's renders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gray! With fully whited-out trim!

I need to get that drat door painted.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I'll try the packing nut turn. If that doesn't work I'll stop at Menards tomorrow for a full repair kit.
It's not really a repair "kit" kind of thing, it's a new valve. They're cheap. Assuming you can't just isolate it, you'll need to turn your water off to your house (you should have a valve in your basement) and basically replace the valve. After you turn the water off, open your faucets/flush the shitter in the bathroom to get as much water out of the line as you can. You will still have some in there for sure. Also make sure you hold that nipple very, very securely when you start unthreading the valve. You don't want to start breaking fittings/cracking solder joints or anything behind it in the wall.

As a side, it's pretty common to happen on old valves that aren't opened/closed regularly. I make a point of turning all my valves off/on once every year or so as I think about it for just that reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well by kit I meant I need a torch as well since I don't own one.

Jesus, you guys have encouraged me to use fire.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

It's gray! With fully whited-out trim!

I need to get that drat door painted.

Really gonna tank your resale value with the :females: though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

If it comes to that, save time and money -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-Toilet-Installation-Kit-25088/206105373

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Don't worry Rhyno, we'll make a real man out of you yet.

Just get this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Trigger-Start-Torch-Plumbing-Kit-WPK2301/304528930

and this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-1-Fitting-Brush-313482/202078158

and whatever valve you need.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 1, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thanks in advance, I'm heading back up to try the packing nut here in a minute.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Oh was that thing soldered on? I thought it was just threaded on an NPT nipple from what I thought I could make out in the photo.

Don't burn your house down!

remember to turn your water off. Or better yet, if you don't, make sure you film it

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slidebite posted:

Oh was that thing soldered on? I thought it was just threaded on an NPT nipple from what I thought I could make out in the photo.

Don't burn your house down!

remember to turn your water off. Or better yet, if you don't, make sure you film it

Exactly what I was going to ask, if it's threaded or soldered on. In either case, replace that janky white PVC line with a braided line, we don't even use PVC lines in our rentals anymore because braided doesn't cost that much more and lasts a lot longer.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Recommended channel for you

What the actual gently caress, YT algorithm?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

Thanks in advance, I'm heading back up to try the packing nut here in a minute.

If you do end up having to sweat it and it keeps dripping stick a piece bread in there to keep it dry enough for a good seal. It's a huge pain if water keeps messing up the solder. The bread will melt and come out as soon as you open the valve.

E: spellin

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

meltie posted:

He's been banned from Twitter and Facebook but why not YouTube?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

meltie posted:

Why do those videos have so many views :sigh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sometimes, if the shutoff doesn't get used to often it just reseats after a bit, just put something under it for the meantime if its just a few drips every now and then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gave the nut a turn. It's been 5 minutes and just a single drop. I still have the bucket under it just in case. I'll probably do the full replacement Sunday or Monday just to be safe.

Gonna climb up in the attic and replace the in-celing fans tomorrow!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Never heard of dude, why was he banned?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

American advertisers don't give a gently caress about him.

Grakkus posted:

Why do those videos have so many views :sigh:
Because there are hundreds of thousands of bigoted thickos desperately searching for a buttplug of confirmation bias to further stretch out their rectum of ignorant opinions.

keykey posted:

Imagine if the Westboro Baptist Church had opinions on muslims and British politics.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crosspostin from the Florida thread. We got on the subject of Randy "Macho Man" Savage and I was talking about how I lived near him and would talk to him about his Viper sometimes. He was a cool dude. I also had the privilege of being the only photographer covering his LIVE RAP DEBUT, I know some of you guys love Macho Man so I figured I'd post this here too. I have a few more if you guys want to see them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

keykey posted:

Hate speech with the intent to radicalise

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Crosspostin from the Florida thread. We got on the subject of Randy "Macho Man" Savage and I was talking about how I lived near him and would talk to him about his Viper sometimes. He was a cool dude. I also had the privilege of being the only photographer covering his LIVE RAP DEBUT, I know some of you guys love Macho Man so I figured I'd post this here too. I have a few more if you guys want to see them.

Oooh Yeah!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rhyno, don't bother trying to sweat a new valve on their, it can be tricky, and any water contamination will gently caress it up, just use one of these guys it installs in like a minute with tools you have, uses a little brass compression ring and nut to clamp on the copper, they work well, and if they go bad are super easy to replace.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oooh, compression fittings! Lots safer!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Oooh, compression fittings! Lots safer!

The shark bit connection that I linked is way better than compression fittings, unless you hate your life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh, I thought that still required fire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fermented Tinal posted:

Have you been reading his posts?

I didnt say he had a lot of self respect, just enough to not write for Japolik :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Oh, I thought that still required fire.

Nah, sharkbite fittings just need a clean / straight pipe end to grab onto.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

The shark bit connection that I linked is way better than compression fittings, unless you hate your life.

I used compression fittings on my own house back in 2003 and the bathroom pipes are still leak free, they were super easy to install. Slip the 2 parts over pipe, then the valve, screw on with 2 wrenches and done. In all honesty, the shark bit thing seems overpriced and unnecessary.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have a few more if you guys want to see them.

Yes.

I <3 Macho Man. I was him for halloween a couple years ago, randomly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q&t=28s

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Better in what way? Compression fittings are just fine and a lot easier to service, I guess it's a little harder to gently caress up the shark bite installation? I don't think they're worth the price premium by any standard.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Rhyno, I had a very similar problem to you about a month and a half ago.

This gave up the ghost:

Replacing it (and the other one):

Was easy:

Do it right, use a torch, it's a skill that will come in handy in the future and avoiding learning it now will only cause headaches later.

E: For anyone about to point it out, those valves were both solder-on or screw on.

EE: The PTFE tape was unnecessary, but I prefer to seal on the threads instead of with o-rings and my can of pipe dope is for gas line.

EEE: This is far from the ideal way of running this setup, but I wasn't about to whole-hog undo the PO fuckery, just fixed/improved what was there.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

keykey posted:

I used compression fittings on my own house back in 2003 and the bathroom pipes are still leak free, they were super easy to install. Slip the 2 parts over pipe, then the valve, screw on with 2 wrenches and done. In all honesty, the shark bit thing seems overpriced and unnecessary.

Elviscat posted:

Better in what way? Compression fittings are just fine and a lot easier to service, I guess it's a little harder to gently caress up the shark bite installation? I don't think they're worth the price premium by any standard.

Compressions on larger fittings aren't bad, but I've had some stupid struggles with 1/4" fuckers that I'd avoid them whenever I can.

I used a sharkbite on a 1/4" copper fitting to add a valve past a leaking saddle valve, so there was actual fluid flow when I cut the copper line. Shoved the sharkbite fitting on and -bam- done. Not a leak, not a thought. It's truly mindless.

Yeah, it costs more, but for 1-off jobs like that, especially under/behind a toilet where there is not a lot of space, and you're counting on the main valve to fully close (good chance it won't), and you're counting on a square, burr-free cut on the copper (good chance it won't be), the sharkbite is worth the extra :10bux:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

EE: The PTFE tape was unnecessary, but I prefer to seal on the threads instead of with o-rings and my can of pipe dope is for gas line.

You literally cannot seal a hose connection on the threads, because of the swivel joint in the back, also o-ring or gasketed seals are superior to threaded ones in nearly every instance.

I enjoy sweating copper, but I would not consider buying a torch to replace one valve, especially one at ground level in a cabinet that's going to be a pain in the butt, and there is nothing "un-right" about using a compression seal valve, they seal exactly as well as solder, they are more mechanically sound because they deform the copper pipe, and meet all applicable codes, new built houses get all sweat- on valves because if you're already doing that many joints it's cheaper and easier.

E: I managed to sawzall into a couple pipes when I was an electrician, and man does having a couple sizes of shark bite couplings save your rear end in that scenario. I'm not knocking them, and I've struggled enough trying to get compression fittings on lovely old pipes, but for this use case I'd use a comp fitting.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2019

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Title card: Rhyno learns about home maintenance

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You Am I posted:

Title card: Rhyno learns about home maintenance

Narrator: It did not go as he had planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Based on my personal experience, I agree.

Maybe they work well on newer copper, but I couldn't get them to seal on 3 of 4 stub-outs in the 1971 remodel I did last year. I would have just sweated new ones if I could, but there was literally zero margin for error with no extra copper, torch access was bad, and a mistake would have meant a miserable amount of work.

Every Sharkbite 1/4 turn I installed, worked fine no leaks.