Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As a mid 40s man, how for the love of God have I not yet learned to not fry bacon without wearing a god damned shirt of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

As a mid 40s man, how for the love of God have I not yet learned to not bake bacon for faster cooking and less mess

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Layer of paper towel on plate
Bacon
Layer of paper towel on bacon
Microwave 1 minute per slice

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Layer of paper towel on plate
Bacon
Layer of paper towel on bacon
Microwave 1 minute per slice

That turns it gross and soggy in my experience. Baking ftw, especially larger batches.

Also, T-11 days until a week and a half with my in-laws, just kill me now. Imagine a group of people who have never, ever, literally or figuratively, uttered the words wouldnt it be smart if we...?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's because you make bacon properly, not the brittle ceramic substitute Americans favour.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was just at one of the most embarrassing weddings I think I'll ever have the misfortune of attending. And no, it wasn't mine

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

That's because you make bacon properly, not the brittle ceramic substitute Americans favour.

Actually American style streaky bacon is one of the few things I'll give the yanks credit for

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I used to but I do prefer fried. Faster and added bonus 2nd degree burns :supaburn:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

As a mid 40s man, how for the love of God have I not yet learned to not fry bacon without wearing a god damned shirt of some sort?

Turn your heat down, low to med-low and drain once or twice when the rendering starts (and obvs do the paper towel thing afterward) to keep it crispy. Takes a while but it keeps the blood from wicking out and burning to your skillet and you don't get any spatter at all so you can wear as little clothing as you like. Been doing it that way for a couple years now.

VVV exactly what I'm on about with the blood burning to the skillet, seriously try the low-n-slow.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I dont eat a lot of bacon but I just got a toaster oven that does convection and air fry so Im gonna try it and see if its better than pan frying. I use cast iron and no matter how good the seasoning is bacon always fucks them up and its super annoying.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

STR posted:

GFroommate really wants to move into a 2 bedroom. She thinks her budget allows for $1500+/month rent. Mine sure as gently caress doesn't, and I make a lot more. I'm not living paycheck to paycheck right now, but I would be if we moved into something that expensive.
:smithicide:

gently caress no, man. I remember having to schedule food around in order to make rent and it sucked rear end. I'd rather have a small or an ugly place than go back to that. And imo one shouldn't put their partners into that position, either.

Thoughts and prayers about your cats. Pets are precious. I'm sure he loves you a lot and will keep loving you if he stays with other people. Gonna hug my fluffer now.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

NumbersMatching320 posted:

so you can wear as little clothing as you like

I've found it, the most bizarre metric for bacon preparation.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I was just at one of the most embarrassing weddings I think I'll ever have the misfortune of attending. And no, it wasn't mine

Alright, Ill bite on vague wedding post... how...?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

slidebite posted:

Cut the bottom off a two liter soda bottle hold a fork through the neck and the splatter wont hit your arm.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

There are really easy fixes for this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Those really do help a lot. It still tends to get grease all around the immediate area, but it stops it from coating everything in a 3 sphere including you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hello, I bought my first car

It is a beat to poo poo 1982 2.8 manuelllll s10 that Needs Help

I'm a motorcycle mechanic so I'm handy enough, but whoooee, is it hard to find parts numbers for cars compared to bikes. I'm missing a flywheel dust cover that is rare as hens teeth (only year with the s101 transmission). Extremely needs valve cover gasket. It has a broken cruise control transducer, just gonna run a straight speedo cable and skip over it. Oh, and it had an ac system at one point but I guess the compressor broke and PO just removed the whole thing. Working on a car is a pain in the rear end compared to bikes, lol

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Bacon chat: do none of you own a bbq?

M42: congrats on your first truck! :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

M42 posted:

I'm a motorcycle mechanic so I'm handy enough, but whoooee, is it hard to find parts numbers for cars compared to bikes. I'm missing a flywheel dust cover that is rare as hens teeth (only year with the s101 transmission). Extremely needs valve cover gasket. It has a broken cruise control transducer, just gonna run a straight speedo cable and skip over it. Oh, and it had an ac system at one point but I guess the compressor broke and PO just removed the whole thing. Working on a car is a pain in the rear end compared to bikes, lol

The thing about owning old american trucks, is all the stock parts sucked, so the point is to progressively replace them with better stuff.

Valve cover leaks? time to start lookin for a SBC

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

M42 posted:

I say ignore everything and slam it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

M42 posted:

A first year S10, thats gotta be the last one still on the road. That particular one is going to be really difficult to find parts for, good luck and congratulations on the cool classic truck.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

I say ignore everything and slam it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Unfortunately its for hauling my bikes so i need the travel, as much as i love me a slammed oldboi 👍 i figure if parts are hard, doing motor/transmission swaps is a thing you can actually do with cars unlike bikes, so maybe ill find something thatll fit.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

With hydraulics you can have the best of both worlds. SLAM IT! Then raise it for your bikes. THEN SLAM IT AGAIN!!!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So... mates landcruiser just decided to either poo poo out a head gasket or crack the head- its pushing coolant out into the overflow bottle and bubbling when hot.

He leaves for a trip in two weeks, so time to begin a thrash repair 😂

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

M42 posted:

Luckily for s10s the literal books have been written on swapping in a 350 and everything else you could possibly it want to do to one. Still plenty running around here in TN.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Unfortunately its for hauling my bikes so i need the travel, as much as i love me a slammed oldboi 👍 i figure if parts are hard, doing motor/transmission swaps is a thing you can actually do with cars unlike bikes, so maybe ill find something thatll fit.

Clearly the solution is to slam it so low that you can use the tailgate as a bike ramp.

Also, I know there's still like a couple hours left but can we just kill this thread and move on? I'm ready for March to be over.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I load my bikes into my Ranger by backing up to a small bank and rolling them into the bed.

Slam that poo poo.

Welcome to WA, it's usually less snowy here, I swear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I use those when I'm not actively flipping it. It spits when I turn them over.

I'll lower the heat a bit as mentioned. I fry at medium, but I'll try medium low.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Clearly the solution is to slam it so low that you can use the tailgate as a bike ramp.

I was gonna say, lower load-in height is nice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are also ways to make it easier to unload the bikes

https://i.imgur.com/QY3oENG.mp4

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

There are also ways to make it easier to unload the bikes

https://i.imgur.com/QY3oENG.mp4
I....... what?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thinking about cutting the cable cord and going internet only with a HD antenna for local stations, anyone gone this route and how is it?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I guess it depends on how much you watch TV more than anything?

I've never had cable and probably haven't watched anything on actual TV in like 2 or 3 years now. You can pretty much find anything you want to watch online on some streaming service.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't watch as much anymore, although what I do usually watch is live sports events (football, racing etc.) and with the sports package on cable it covered about everything. Without that not sure what i'll even be able to see anymore besides what's on local TV.

Thankfully MotoGP has a web service to see the races so i'll have that at least.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

I....... what?
You've never seen a car on hydraulics before?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thinking about cutting the cable cord and going internet only with a HD antenna for local stations, anyone gone this route and how is it?
I've been internet only with no TV at all for years now. Works fine for me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ilkhan posted:

I....... what?

Well you see, when two minitrucks like each other, they have a little dance that they perform... it's rarely seen in the wild, though.

We have Hulu, Netflix, and the basic Directv Now package.

We rarely bother firing up Directv Now, the only reason we have it is my mother pays for it for herself, and lets us use it. Luckily the Roku app is smart enough to realize we're not in the same metro area as my mother, and loads the appropriate local stations for us.

If you want local news, NewsON is a good app to have for whatever box you get. They cache the last episode of one or two local news broadcasts for you (they have 2 in Austin [ABC and CBS], 1 in Dallas [ABC], for example).

Lord Stimperor posted:

gently caress no, man. I remember having to schedule food around in order to make rent and it sucked rear end. I'd rather have a small or an ugly place than go back to that. And imo one shouldn't put their partners into that position, either.

We're in neither a small or ugly place - it's a very nice apartment, with nice amenities, great maintenance, and a downright decent office staff. It's a larger one bedroom (~800 sq ft, I have friends that have 2 bedroom apartments that are smaller) with a garage. My only gripes are the included microwave is underpowered (700W) and the dishwasher is loud, but they're the original ~2004 units.

M42 posted:

i figure if parts are hard, doing motor/transmission swaps is a thing you can actually do with cars unlike bikes, so maybe ill find something thatll fit.

The Chevy 4.3 V6 was the biggest engine these came with from the factory, if you want to remain "stock". And the later versions weren't terrible.

You can fit anything from an Iron Duke to an LS V8 in these pretty easily.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had a forest green '88 S-10 singlecab and it was simultaneously cool for being a classic Chevy truck, and awful for having the 4 cyl Iron Duke in it. It went about 66 mph at full throttle on anything but a completely flat/downhill road. Two 10's behind the seat in an extremely shallow but wide box.

I built a very killer homemade tonneau cover out of angle iron framing, plywood top with bracing, and an insanely slick boat-vinyl cover (with really tight sleeves that fit the 4 rims of angle iron individually, they got vinyl covered before being screwed to the wooden frame of the lid, which got it's own cover stretched tight/stapled on the sides/underside) -- mom's sewing skills to the rescue. Then I ratcheted the whole contraption down on the inside to the truck's tiedowns. It was a really amazing custom fit for about $75, only weighed about 40 pounds, and rendered the truck COMPLETELY USELESS aside for picking up blonde girls who liked country music. So, exactly what trucks are for!

I sold it in '94 for $4600 and bought an '85 Volvo for $4200, I still have the Volvo. Chances that particular S-10 still exists, in the midwest? 0.0

Wish I had more pictures of that tonneau cover, but it was the stone ages and I think I took about 24 pictures total (of everything else in the world, not just the truck) in the two years I owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Don't watch as much anymore, although what I do usually watch is live sports events (football, racing etc.) and with the sports package on cable it covered about everything. Without that not sure what i'll even be able to see anymore besides what's on local TV.

Thankfully MotoGP has a web service to see the races so i'll have that at least.

Spotify premium has a package that includes Hulu now for 9.99 a month I pay Spotify anyways and Hulu has a surprising amount of current shows, I barely watch tv besides documentaries and concerts but it would seem to cover most non sports things.