Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Brainamp posted:

Was the german military actually that progressive that a woman could make lieutenant in ww1?

Not at all. Women couldn't serve at all in WW1. In WW2, near the end, Germany allowed them in flak artillery units out of necessity.

They didn't allow women in the army again until 1975 and then only as medical personnel.

Iirc, though, Karin's situation is a little special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Karin has a gun holster but damned if I remember her ever drawing it. Maybe she keeps sweets in there.

I think she does draw it in one cutscene.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh man, I forgot all about Lenny.

That big lug gets some great moments.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 8, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

That's kinda spoilery and doesn't really add anything to the conversation since you can't go into more detail without getting really spoilery.

I don't really think it was spoiling anything but edited to be safe.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Here in Shadow Hearts: Covenant we deal with our weird poo poo one at a time. The puppet girl isn't immediately pressing, therefore it can wait.

Iirc it's quite a bit before Geppetto's deal is really explained.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

Same, same. I have no idea why I ended up with a copy of Shadow Hearts 2 (I was an avid used games browser, so I probably picked it up on impulse like Unlimited Saga) but the strength of its writing quickly made it one of my top ten games.

Same here. Never played the first and picked it up on a whim which wasn't a mistake.

Still have my copy around here somewhere. I kept only a handful of PS2 games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Karin's outfit is definitely one of the weakest things about the game (and some future events with her that are major spoilers.) It's funny because the other female party members (who I won't spoil) definitely are somewhat more modestly dressed.

The sidequests for each character to learn techniques are mostly amazing though. Especially Blanca's.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Likewise, Breath of Fire 4 did a similar mechanic with its backline, iirc. It has been years since I've played through that game, but you had your three-man fighting party up front, and the rest of the playable cast was in the back, which recovered HP/AP. I also seem to recall a JRPG that had an almost Marvel vs. Capcom style switching mechanic, where you could switch in a character for free and they'd get an attack when switched in.

BoF IV is also unique in that the backline folks still contributed to the fight even if they were automated and only had a few moves.

I think the aforementioned Star Ocean 5 is the only one with a large endgame party (9 or 10 iirc) that has them all actively fighting and even then you only direct four at a time. It's also a game completely wrecked by having a shoestring budget and sone really questionable character designs.

There was actually a good discussion in the RPG megathread about how often a predetermined party can be the best design wise because you'll never be neglecting characters over games with a larger party that only let you bring a few into battle.

Thankfully everybody in SH2 is quite useful and can be effective from the moment they join right to the end.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 17, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah, "Uru" for short which "Yuri" is a pretty good transliteration of.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Persona 5 stuff is significantly worse. The Magimel brothers may be stereotypes, but at least they're actual characters (and portrayed as pretty nice guys with useful skills) and not just an excuse to do child rape jokes.

For the sake of my own sanity I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Cornelia is a small doll modeled after an adult woman. Actually, is she modeled after Gepetto's late wife? Is she inhabited by his late wife's ghost? That would be kind of sweet, in a super creepy way.

Yeah the Magimel brothers are stereotypes but the game basically portrays them as nice, but flamboyant guys. It's not intrinsically cruel.

As for Cornelia, the game will explain it eventually. I don't remember how long it is until we get Gepetto's backstory but rest assured it may or may not help with the creep factor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd completely forgotten about Veronica.

Yuri still amazes with his acknowledgement of how ridiculous everything gets. And we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. SH2 goes places.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eopia posted:

is this luchador a future party member or a future recurring enemy, based on what we've seen so far they could be either

Yes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

but the other characters are all garbage.

I disagree heavily. Everybody's quite good in SH2 though some take a bit more effort in their quests to reach full potential.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Junpei posted:

Everyone in Covenant is at least usable. For me, my final party was Yuri/Karin/Joachim/8th (who is a lot better than most people seem to give them credit for), but Blanca, 6, 7, and Gepetto were rotated in and out as I saw fit, and all of them got some good time to shine.

I used the next party member a lot as their skills were insanely good support wise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's where I'm at. I just don't have the words because I know anything won't be enough.

So sorry for your lost. Wish there was something I could do.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Joachim's weapon quest is one of my favorite things in this amazing game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sgt Thud posted:

I really love how this series just repurposes figures from history, also Joachim is the best party member for all manner of reasons, as shown here.

Joachim is definitely best boy but there's a party member we won't meet for quite a while I love mostly for the pure strangeness of their inclusion.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

stryth posted:

FTNW gets even weirder than Joachim, by several orders of magnitude, I really hope TDI LPs that someday!

FTNW is a weird game that loses most of the grounding even this game has.

EDIT: \/ I never said it was BAD. I love FTNW. It just goes a lot more insane than even this game does.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only one I never really used is Gepetto though I found Blanca got less useful as the game went on as well. He just doesn't have the utility of some folks coming up.

Oh I did also bench the final party member outside of their mandatory stuff (which they have a lot of) simply because I wasn't nearly as invested in them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

As bad off as he was, he still got some story focus. Unlike poor, poor Keith who basically ceased to exist after letting Yuri crash at his castle for six months.

Unfortunately this game is just as bad for that as we'll see.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nohman posted:

Also boy, the tone shift in this game is... I'm not sure how to feel about yet.

It's a lot crazier than the first for sure but it still does the drama really well when it's called for.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the third (fourth?) game. The goofy bits work well there but it falls flat when it tries to add pathos to most of it.

Covenant has some extremely strong dramatic beats that we're still a ways from if I remember right.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

I adore how much this game loves to use group shots of our ludicrous party as a punchline. Too many JRPG take their character designs too seriously.

Karin's expression there is just amazing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah if the next dungeon is the one o think it is, it's actually pretty good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it really is the strongest entry. From the New World tightens up the gameplay a little more, but the story and characters are a lot weaker. SH1 and Koudelka have not aged very well gameplay wise at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Lucia is probably the best support character in the game and they do thankfully dial down her airhead schtick later.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I used the next party member quite a bit because they are a pretty good mage/support if you build them that way.

I never thought of using Blanca the way I'd is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Keldulas posted:

I don't actually mind Lucia's fanservice myself centrally because it's actually part of her character. Her day-to-day was that she makes money from her looks and her magic combined. I can respect that.

I still find it funny the game pushes Karin the ex-army lieutenant as fanservice more than Lucia.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah Quiet is pretty much like Magikarp.

Her default rifle is kinda bad, but push through it and she can pretty much tranq an entire base with no issues forever so long as you keep up on negating helmets being passed around.

Or murder entire armored platoons with the anti-tank rifle she can get later.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CmdrKing posted:

Mind you, SH2 is...not a hard game, so honestly the extra effort is probably not *actually* worth it if you're put off by it. But of course, Joachim is his own reward so it was never a bother.

The character in FTNW with a similar gimmick is improved a bit in that all of their forms are pretty close in power, just in different areas though you're right that Joachim never feels like a burden even in bat form.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The mediocre Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits sort of does that by switching between two groups who are mortal enemies for most of the game.

Breath of Fire 4 also has several sections where you play the main villain that basically set up why he becomes the main villain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
He did commentary over the cutscenes of episode one as a patreon goal.

The first two parts are on YouTube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just doing my part.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

But he would pay for accidents, I imagine. This is the same dude that chewed out his men for bothering regular villagers. If he's not intending to hurt/bother someone, he tries not to.

Lenny is a good boy and I will not tolerate any disparaging of him. He just has horrible bosses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

Hooray, it's the character I never took out of my party once I got her!

Yeah she is surprisingly REALLY good if you don't mind her main gimmick and take the effort to use it.

Also, Rasputin here has the absolute perfect voice. I basically love everything about how they did him in Shadow Hearts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It probably wasn't "cut" in the traditional sense but added to improve the script later.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Reminder that Gepetto based the marionette on his deceased daughter...

Edit: \/ the bondage outfit is pretty drat creepy in that context

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 16, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

None of Joachim's weapons past this point are even remotely predictable.

I remember a couple and yeah, they go right off the deep end here. You could MAYBE guess the next one but past that point all sanity is gone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Xenogears comes very close.

I also remember a game (I-War) where disc one of three had no gameplay. It was there simply to store the very long cg intro.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If we're going for those examples FF8 has a single plot dungeon on disc 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pizuz posted:

Square did that for all three mainline PSX Final Fantasy games.

I mentioned 8 because 8's final disc is extremely content light. 7 has a lot of side quests still open at the endgame (and a decent chunk of plot at the start of disc 3 iirc.) 9 locks off some of the world but also has some side content.

FF8? You've got a secret location for one more summon and optionally the ability to play cards on your airship. Everything else is locked out except the last dungeon.