Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, it was not just copies of Galahad's Sword that were in Koudelka.

A more advanced zombie dog could drop the real, complete sword, which was called the "Girdle Sword."

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So... what happens when the ducks make a stack of 5?

Or, God help us, 7?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shitenshi posted:

That so-called Holy Mistletoe caused the pendant to go from a pure clear blue to a full Malice blood red. The light element in this game is now firmly in the realm of evil poo poo that isn't above human sacrifice and whatever else is out there. Which isn't a surprise given all the unholy horrors in the previous game being light element and the literal Inquisition kidnapping Koudelka, but now it's official that the Vatican is your average JRPG corrupt church org harboring all kinds of bad poo poo if it fuels literal hate energy.

All the pendant did was serve as a Malice Geiger Counter. Something was protecting Yuri from drawing in Malice as a result of the Four Masks Curse; the pendant turning red means that the protection was broken.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 9, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Accordion Man posted:

The Church in the series backstory is bad, but not in the series present.

Didn't Roger even go back to the Church for awhile? How else would he know Albert?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

"Tengaio", in case nobody knows, is the Japanese name of Seraphic Radiance.

They kind of took liberties with its English name, else they'd have to call it something like "Heavenly War King."

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought it didn't actually matter if you failed the Trading Quest; doesn't the final reward becomes obtainable an alternative way if you do?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Is it my imagination, or did Rasputin's textbox name change?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NullBlack posted:

Pagan - Relating to, characteristic of religions that differ from main world religions.
Angel - The servants / agents of God in Abrahamic religions.
Michael - Distinctly Jewish name, and particularly recognizable as the name of one of the Archangels.

C'mon, writers, you can't just throw these words together like that. What next: an artifact of "the infidel prophet, Jesus"?

Shadow Hearts did some weird thing with that particular accessory.

Here's Shadow Hearts 1's description, "Angel Earrings.". Making sense so far:

quote:

Earrings in the shape of Michael's wings. They are very old, but still brilliant. They have the mysterious power to raise the adventurer's mental strength.

Now we get to Shadow Hearts 2, with a very big huh:

quote:

Pagan artifact, carved in the shape of the wings of the dark angel Michael. It has the mysterious power to calm the wearer's mind.

When you hit From the New World, you suddenly get:

quote:

Earring made from the wing of a fallen angel worshiped by a heretical sect. The magic of the angel who doubted God's existence brings the wearer clarity of mind.

My guess is either mistranslation and the earrings never had anything to do with Michael, or the devs are trying to turn up the edge each game. The first interpretation is supported by the fact that in the first game, the earrings' name are supposed to be 堕天使のピアス, "FALLEN Angel Earrings."

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 24, 2021

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well remember that the Shadow Hearts translation has taken some liberties.

As much as I like the name Seraphic Radiance, it's supposed to be something like Triumphant Heavenly Female Phoenix. Yes I'm serious. They specifically use a character meant for the "huang" in fenghuang, with Huang being the female Chinese phoenix and Feng the male. You might be familiar with that kind of phoenix as Ho-Oh from Pokemon, which is how they pronounce fenghuang.

That's why Seraphic Radiance is a naked lady with red fiery wings, why she has snake appendages (fenghuang used to be depicted as having some snake parts), and why to get her you have to obtain the Rebirth Stone. Never mind that the fenghuang has absolutely nothing to do with rebirth, it's a phoenix and that's what they went with.

Fun huh? That design actually made sense!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 25, 2021

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I mean, technically the white flower never lied at all.

It's just that you don't actually want to go too deep in.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

God actually got angry at Solomon for marrying foreigners and subsequently building temples to their deities. The demon control and all that, the thing he's most famous for? All extrabiblical!

The Quran has him with all those powers, but in that he never pissed off God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Weeble posted:

I (and a lot of others on the internet I guess) think of the SH timeline like this:

Shadow Hearts 'Alice Dies' Ending ->
Shadow Hearts: Covenant 'Yuri Dies and Time Travels' Ending ->
Shadow Hearts NG+ Where Yuri Saves Alice Ending ->
Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Anyway, it's been a fun ride Id.

They think that because it's correct. Developer interviews were pretty explicit about it.