Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
We're getting right into this one, huh? Let's see some demon punching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yuri casually shrugging off losing control of his demonic powers and releasing a finger spider from his body is a good indication that he hasn’t changed too much.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arkanumzilong posted:

I love that this is such a defining trait of zeus that even a game like warriors orochi has him actovely hit on every female character he comes across... sometimes in front of their lovers/husbands
(Of course it being a warriors game they keep it relatively PG, so no zeus forcing himself on anyone or the like)

It’s not like that would stop him. Zeus did impregnate a woman with a beam of light in one myth.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ooooooh, yeah early CGI has aged like unrefrigerated milk.

On the plus side, we now know that Donkey Kong still has the most majestic singing voice of all gorillas.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Finally caught up in time to see us recruit the absolute best party member. It seems that Keith was the only member of the Valentine Siblings to miss the wackiness gene.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nimsant posted:

Hi!
I have caught up to this LP, and it is much fun

I have not played SH2 before (only Koudelka and SH1) and I am playing along now.
I realize I miss this kind of PS2 RPG games.

I have been thinking, what kind of alternate outfit could make Gepetto's doll look less creepy.
So I made this. Do you think this works?

This works far better than it has any right to. It looks like a crazy puppeteer wizard robe on him instead of the gravity defying fanservice it was on its original wearer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lulu used magic dolls solely because she feared that her kicks would be as destructive as Sin itself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I can’t say anything that might make up for this, but for what little it means, thanks for all laughs over the years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I’m ready to get back on this demon punching journey.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CmdrKing posted:

God, I'd forgotten how much the villains do NOT know what game they're in.

Well, maybe Lenny does. Everyone else did not sign up for Punchman Yuri's Band of Misfits.

Every single villain missed the memo and thinks they’re in a serious, normal JRPG. They all paid dearly for it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

This is one of my favourite lines in the game, because Yuri is completely correct and it actually is, in fact, really funny. The timing on it is just amazing.

Also, we learn a very important thing about Yuri: he does know what culture is. He usually just chooses not to bother with it.

Yuri knows booze. Culture is something else entirely.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You start by beating up rats and slimes in a sewer and work your way up from there like everyone else.

When the entire world is filled with aggressive monsters that make every grocery run a matter of life and death, you really have no excuse to not learn adventuring at a basic level at least.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

yeah that's not a TDI edit, it's in game.

Get ready to see comments like this a lot. This is a game that knows exactly how weird it is and only occasionally tries to take itself seriously.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

Sorry I had a lousy day and now all you will too.

Given enough time, all game mods turn to Macho Man.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

That new cape and voice are almost enough to distract from his award-winning jawline.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Joachim remains the best party member in this or any other game in this series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Joachim's weapon quest is one of my favorite things in this amazing game.

It’s hilarious and economical. He’s the vampire weirdo we never knew we needed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

DukeofCA posted:

At least unused party members in this game still get some experience, so they don't fall as far behind as poor old Zhuzhen.

As bad off as he was, he still got some story focus. Unlike poor, poor Keith who basically ceased to exist after letting Yuri crash at his castle for six months.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sapientes Gladio has a bizarre mixture of horrific evil and comedic incompetence that make them ideal as villains in this story.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CmdrKing posted:

The game is remarkably unclear on the manner of Jeanne's death (I mean, if she weren't wandering around in Yuri's soul, we couldn't be entirely sure she *had* died). Although he was absolutely kidnapping her.

But I mean, it's Sapientes Gladio, there's a curve here.

He’s the kind of villain who gets one offscreen terrible act, then becomes a joke afterwards.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rasputin being an actual sorcerer is not exactly that big of a stretch.

I dunno, I just thought the game with the gay wrestling vampire would be a little weirder with this historical figure.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Persona 2: IS
Not truly Hitler, but (re)born from a rumor based on a book that says he survived his suicide and is waiting for his time to come back.

(In persona 2 the supernatural happenings give power to rumors and make them real)

He then took the form of a tentacle monster with all the protagonists’s dads as limbs. It was a weird game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nephrite posted:

I can understand not wanting to deal with her gimmick! I think you'll find that your opinion is wrong, though. :colbert:

If she can’t randomly kill the entire party, she can’t possibly be worse than Lucia.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I love that this is a setting where summoning a flying demon to assassinate a princess in a city is less suspicious than just breaking her neck and dropping her in the river.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

One of the big reasons Yuri's a likeable protagonist is that no matter how much of a weirdo he is, he has always been a genuine hero.

Rude as he may be, Yuri remains a Hero at heart.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yuri remains the best protagonist. “Screw your backstory, I’m gonna dance with that dog until I’m pointed at something to punch.”

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

kw0134 posted:

The evidence is that "prayerful healing" would have been, with the state of medicine in the 1910s, the most helpful thing to do for a child with hereditary anemia. You can't transfuse platelets, any number of medicines are at best snake oils with no efficacy and the real medicines would be contraindicated. Having a creepy old monk put his hands on your head and mumble a few words and not letting the physicians try out whatever pharmaceutical nonsense they've whipped up in a lab that would make a meth cooker blanche would have been a healthy thing to do.

That and healing magic is an established fact in this universe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Beginning to think that the Empress is not a great judge of character.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

No! Stay good, Kato, stay good! :ohdearsass:

I think it’s time to accept that the Chin has gone to the dark side. The only question is how sympathetic of a villain he’ll be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Edvarius posted:

Gotta give this game credit, when a strange secret society cult goes through great lengths to obtain a forbidden tome of things man was not meant to know, you don't really expect them to just use the thing as a bribe.

They know it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d say using it as a bargaining chip is the second smartest thing to do with that book. The first is burning it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't Nicholai going to be the main character in a first draft of the game script, then they realized 'gently caress it, Yuri is great'?

That’s what I heard. When they changed gears, Nicholai was turned into a smug, vain little worm of a villain that only succeed thanks to an overpowered stick just to be as unlikable as possible. If true, it shows that somebody higher up in the developers must have really hated the idea of him replacing Yuri.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BioMe posted:

3rd Birthday is an even better example where they should have done that. All you'd need to do is change names and come up with a different reason why the main character has magic powers (that are completely different from what they were to begin with anyway).

I can assure you, Third Birthday would be about as abysmal even without the original game connection.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I appreciate Joachim trying to be a hero at multiple junctures, too.

And Blanca.

Seeing party members actually try to stop villains during cutscenes is such a rare treat in JRPGs that I’m not even annoyed that none of the party remembered that they all have magical powers and shouldn’t just try to rush the evil wizard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Andyzero posted:

Dragon Quest 9. Grrrrr.....

Your party in 9 may as well have been mannequins with weapons for all the character they had there, so I’m not upset. There is no excuse for 8, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

This wolf bout was bafflingly surreal in both its content and its timing, and it owns.

It says something when a wolf version of Terry Bogard was one of the more tame encounters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

FalloutFan56 posted:

Always wondered if that was really Simon or just some figment of Yuri's imagination. I mean, can random souls just pop up inside other souls? Is Sea Mother or Yuri's dad just hanging out off-screen or something?

We’ve already seen that Yuri’s head is surprising crowded. People and monsters just pop in and out as they please.

I will echo Albert being treated so positively despite being such a cliche and unnecessarily cruel evil wizard in the last game being very off-putting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I like that Yuri is starting to show just how much of a toll all this constant tragedy, geopolitical conspiracies, and demonic attacks are taking on him. Like he’s already saved the world from an evil wizard (who will now be treated as just a misunderstood hero from here on in) and space god, but now he has to deal with it essentially repeating while everyone is rushing into the biggest war the world has ever seen around him. That’s got to be a big morale crusher seeing all your efforts amount to basically nothing thanks to forces beyond your control.

You can tell that underneath his sarcasm and cockiness that all he wants is to be done with things for once.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

OminousEdge posted:

If I remember right, the company that owned it got bought out then the second company either got bought out or merged.

So, basically, the rights of these games are tied up in so many hands that it’d be near impossible to get a re-release, let alone a sequel.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Poor, poor forgotten Valentine brother.

I love our fun interactions with the Ring Soul. He’s the best friend a user interface feature can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Yuri can totally read Russian. He is causing problems on purpose.

Long before the story, Yuri absorbed a demon of Bable. It gave him the power to translate all languages and spread that effect to his allies. He never mentioned it because it failed to add to his punching powers and was, therefore, irrelevant in his eyes.