Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love this game by sheer virtue of the fact that the main character is the biggest trainwreck in RPG history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Omobono posted:

I wouldn't call Yuri the biggest trainwreck (although he's up there). Some of his fellow party members this game got him beat in my opinion.

Not him. The other main character

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CmdrKing posted:

I mean, those rifles the rank and file were using were bouncing off Devilman, at that point drawing a service pistol is just going to get you laughed at as you ineffectually ping a bullet off an eyeball then get ganked for annoying the monster. Reacting with panic might instead get you enough sympathy for sidekick status.

Chrono Trigger taught us guns are useless against Eldritch abominations. Girl knows her genre history

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yaaaaaaaaaaay Ring Soul! :neckbeard:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does it count as a Tragic Backstory if the player already knows it?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Because if it’s something that’s not constantly alluded to where’s the angst? The DRAMA associated with Tragic Backstories is vital!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually don't think I finished this game, but I do remember Blanca never left my party unless he had to because he's The Goodest Boy

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of the many highlights is watching Yuri and Blanca become BFFs. You know Yuri would buy one of those bracelets too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Typical millennial. Can't even feed himself. Useless :jerkbag:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She's been taking fashion tips from Jill Valentine

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Night10194 posted:

I mean they literally say it's old clothes from the creepy magic puppet rather than actual clothes a person would be wearing, that makes it significantly creepier that she never changes this outfit.

I just thought that was a thing straight guys do. They don't keep giant puppets with clothes that can barely fit over a grown woman?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Those legs scream "dancer". The kid's gonna be a Rockette.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Y'know what I'm gonna say it. Ring Soul is a better character than Steve Burnside

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

The Dark Id posted:

I can't even tell you what is going on with that half-Domino mask feathered... thing on her face.

For a second I thought that said Veronica Mars. Hurry up June! :argh:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe Lulu just never skips leg day. If boots were a weapon option she'd Break Damage Limit by the time they left Besaid.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Look. We all know the moment capes come back into style we're all gonna wear them

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Good to know the gay community hasn't changed THAT much over the past century

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think everyone does, short of using a guide or save scumming

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only constant to this game is Blanca being awesome, always.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Did I spy a Joshua Astray silhouette?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sgt Thud posted:

Yep that is 100% Joshua's dumb anime forelocks right there.

Now that I'm thinking on it, TDI's Twitter led me to that series and now it's my favorite. So thanks, dude!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

achtungnight posted:

And he’d have Killer Croc for dessert.

I agree with Yuri about wrestling.

Can’t help but wonder if someone was using that locker before Joachim came across it...

His next weapon is the nerd who falls out

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd give that guy poo poo for just blurting out he's a member of a "certain organization" but...I probably would too

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will fully admit being discreet and restrained in love. I'm not big on that lovey-dovey poo poo. Ew.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ImpAtom posted:

"Thinks they are cool and brave. Actually just furries."

"Can often be found making out with mirrors"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Tylana posted:

I always feel a little bad about Zodiac personality stereotypes. Mostly because I'm an Aquarius who has most of them except the being motivated and clever in useful ways bit. :P Though as a tangent, I do find them interesting as giving people a framework for introspection. Being able to say I am like that, or I am not like that is easier than asking What Am I Like?

I don't remember there being much worth remembering in this dungeon, so am looking forward to DarkId proving me wrong.

I don't necessarily believe in them, but I do find it fun, and find it interesting that pretty much everyone I've met who actually does believe in and study the Zodiac identifies me as a Taurus within a few minutes of meeting me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

MachuPikacchu posted:

I find them interesting from an anthropological point of view because oftentimes the way a person assigns personality traits to a Zodiac sign is a direct reflection of the relationships those person has had with people of that sign. One time I read a a book on how certain Zodiac signs pair up romantically, and it was obvious that the author went through a messy divorce with a Sagittarius.

"A classic Sagittarius trait to watch out for is their tendency to bolt in the middle of the night with the dog you both picked out at the animal shelter downtown"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't remember using Lucia much. Dumb characters are fun to watch in TV and movies, but they bug me in videogames.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

W.T. Fits posted:

So she's basically a Chemist from Final Fantasy V.

I can't think of anything in any RPG that's quite that level of broken

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I used Blanca because he's a good example of a the well-rounded character done right. He doesn't have average all around stats. They're above average and he's more than capable of hanging with the big boys on either kind of offense, but not gonna be the heaviest hitter unless you load him down with every stat booster you come across, and has some nice support options. Most "well-rounders" end up either too focused on one side to do the other one effectively (Maxim in Lufia, Hiro in Lunar), strictly average in every sense of the word (Kimahri comes to mind, Nash also from Lunar), or just overpowered (Ryu from Breath of Fire III, Ness). The only other ones I can think of who were done right was Estelle from the Trails series and Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That ellipses hints at a story and I'm now picturing you saying that, taking a drag off your cigarette, and staring off into the distance.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't know if a hero who engages in mail tampering is hero I can support...ah, who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at Joachim.

Heroism is an industry that doesn't mind if you're a felon, which is why that industry has never really taken off in America

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really rude to counter a snarky comment I made before I had coffee with actual facts

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Imagine being hunted by a demon and learning it's name is Amy. Does it's true form involve pom-poms and manicured nails?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

achtungnight posted:

I dated a girl named Amy once who was pretty demonic. Hence why I dated her once.

Because she took over your body at the end and now she is you and you're trapped in your own body screaming and raging on the inside and you posted this in a brief moment of control you managed to seize after years of building up willpower but no one here will take you seriously because this is Something Awful so you just cry in despair on the inside until the next time you build up that strength?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Captainsalami posted:

Much like how all Kevin's are weird, all Amy or Amis are bitchy.

What did Sailor Mercury ever do to you?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

OminousEdge posted:

That's news to me. I'd assumed from all the stories about entitled, parents, customers, ect I'd seen online, I'd figure it would be Karen instead of Ami/Amy

In hospitality, we call it "Big Karen Energy"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There was a regular at my old restaurant who was a complete snobby rich lady. She fit every stereotype. Small dog in the purse, tons of chunky jewelry, everything. Treated my staff like crap and insisted we pronounce her name "De-bor-a". I know it's a real name but the way she said it was awful.

Anyways, every time she got takeout I yelled "pickup for Debbie!"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Shadow Hearts is about nothing if not teamwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ultrafilter posted:

And now things get weird.

Get?

I love the bromance between Yuri and Roger. One of my favorite things about the game