Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"This village has no value and there's no point to this, but by God we're going to gently caress up that demon for disrespecting our mustaches." is the most WWI plot hook I've seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

yuri put the coat back on

It's too late, he is (more of) an anime now.

I, too, will miss the coat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Of course Koudelka is important.
The events of the game taught us that Wales is the universe focal point for the bad poo poo.

Koudelka also introduced Roger, who is going to be important forever because he's great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurtofan posted:

koudelka was so weird, it was great

I think Koudelka has the best plot in the series and really dug its 'actually serious gothic horror' vibe. Shame about everything about the gameplay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

and every time they look away from it and then look back, it gets a little closer

geppetto thinks it's hysterical

this is why he doesn't have many friends

Geppetto drinks because of the puppet.

Accurate to both puppets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd kind of like to know what the game about rear end in a top hat Churchboy was going to be like before they went back to punching.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Almost every mechanical element of Covenant is an improvement on SH1. I may not like the story as much but the game is fantastic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CmdrKing posted:

It's not just fanservice, it's badly done and doesn't look like something the character (or any person) would choose to wear. It looks like what it probably is: some artist checking off a bunch of boxes for their target demo.

I mean they literally say it's old clothes from the creepy magic puppet rather than actual clothes a person would be wearing, that makes it significantly creepier that she never changes this outfit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yuri's just jealous he doesn't get his own fighting game mini story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BioMe posted:

It's kind of a shame the series became a wacky anime at this point. It's not bad for what it is, the jokes land a lot better than they did in any other lighthearted JRPG I remember playing, but it is a lot more common genre than the gothic horror feel Koudelka and Shadow Hearts had. At least in a story driven ensemble cast type of a game.

Yeah, Koudelka's actual story still stands out as a really strong character driven gothic horror story. It's such a shame about the gameplay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait. I just realized after watching the Xenosaga stuff. Grand Papillion's VA was Cherenkov in Xenosaga, wasn't he?

E: I just checked, yes, he is!

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everything about Joachim is good and nothing is bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Yuri's life really is pretty lovely when you get down to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Roger Bacon already had vending machines in his house that sold legendary punch gauntlets. Someone finding a VHS from the future wouldn't be the weirdest thing to happen in this setting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The moral of the story is don't throw weird poo poo down wells.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Getting tricked by Yuri of all people is a very specific, very deep low.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Considering the series got its start with Kouldelka's surprisingly expressive character models, it's not a surprise that they jumped on being able to give the sprites more body language and proper facial expressions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember how this all started as a completely straight-faced tragic gothic horror story back in Koudelka?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blanca is smarter than all of them anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Joachim makes me wonder why more vampires don't realize they could just be superheroes and everyone would probably be cool with them.

Stray cat gratitude does make it easier to kill ghosts with a pipe, this is just science. Joachim is also working from the Silent Hill Principle, where a simple 3 foot steel pipe is ever the trusty friend of anyone battling monsters, so a much larger steel pipe must be much better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't Lenny's first act in the story taking a little girl hostage and breaking her neck?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Roger has always been a delight, even back in the 'sombre gothic horror days'.

Things can only improve when you go to punch Rasputin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What other historical figures would make very good JRPG bosses? Rasputin is one of the most fitting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Persona 2 rocked. I especially like the censored version of Hitler where they just put some sunglasses on him that make him look like even more of a smug rear end in a top hat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am really glad they just instantly put their cards on the table with Evil Warlock Rasputin. No need to dance around it.

I love his insane character design.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is this the first actual princess our dear Rude Hero has saved?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

Even with everything Yuri's been through, he still runs directly toward screaming.

One of the big reasons Yuri's a likeable protagonist is that no matter how much of a weirdo he is, he has always been a genuine hero.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember he always had an interest in the occult. It'd be likely he'd learn the languages these sorts of tomes are written in from that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hiding it in Wales is pretty close.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't Nicholai going to be the main character in a first draft of the game script, then they realized 'gently caress it, Yuri is great'?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I appreciate Joachim trying to be a hero at multiple junctures, too.

And Blanca.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's sort of hard to blame the various Russian nobles for not loving with Rasputin more when he just bodied a guy justifiably called "The Godslayer".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You monster :stonklol:.

Hey, that opera trip ended with her having rad superpowers and official permission to construct an automatic grenade launcher and use it, liberally.

It worked out great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reread the second quoted line.

Yeah but everyone knows Third Birthday didn't happen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, all they had to do was just say Simon was another disciple who went crazy and had Bad Plans, even if he was still loyal to the original mission of Sapientes Gladio (namely, gently caress the people in power). None of this 'it was all to kill Rasputin' stuff. All they had to do was build on Simon's weirdly positive 'man, I hope the world you'll punch into being when you punch my God won't suck' death scene from 1 and have him have accepted he can get closer to what he wants by helping Yuri out from the inside.

The Rasputin thing just makes it all a weird retcon. Otherwise Simon's 'idealist who was tortured like mad by the Inquisition and others, got pissed off, tried to make his own God to tear down the world' character would be fine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To be fair to the Russian nobles, this Rasputin does have some kind of energy shield. Shooting, stabbing, poisoning, and drowning might not work on energy shields. I don't know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been waiting a long time for the poo poo about to go down. This is definitely the part of 2 I remember the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This party has not even begun to get crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The zeppelin and deer monsters were obviously for decimating the German military after his takeover in order to secure the legitimacy of his new government.