Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Karin has a gun holster but damned if I remember her ever drawing it. Maybe she keeps sweets in there.

Drill sergeants do have to make random gear checks for the very thing. Can't let the recruits develop a habit of replacing a magazine with a chocolate bar because "it would get all squishy if I kept it in my pants' pockets"

Guess Karin slipped through the cracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The #1 this game has over every other JRPG sequel is Yuri being 100% aware he's already worked his way up to beating a god in fistfight once, and getting a little samused here doesn't change facts. Let alone his highest stat, cockiness.

Also, Nicolai "I totally meant to do that" Conrad.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

drat sequel powerdown syndrome.
First Samus, now Yuri.
When will it end?

(at least Caim had none of that nonsense)

Half the games with level/power up systems. They even lampshaded it in KH3 just recently.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I mean usually the cliche is a really underdeveloped part of the story that gets milked for melodrama constantly. I don't think it really counts as a capital case Tragic Backstory if it was the original story and the current moody state of the character is the afterthought, rather than the other way around.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont know what even the stupid gently caress is going on in that image but i am angry.

It'd be one thing if the entire game was cheesecake, or if the character herself was even slightly out there. But no, she's probably the most serious party member and most of the game clearly uses some historical reference in its costume designs.

Like even the Viera have a consistent aesthetic that doesn't seem out of place with their role in the setting, and they are a race of 6 feet bunny women who refuse to wear anything that isn't bikini armor. The outfit being revealing isn't bad, you could totally take desert nation princess/queen character in that direction. What we got though is just confusing.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Vaan is a vital character to Ashe's development, you'd lose what I'd say is the most important part of the story without him. They probably could have played up him being the stand-in for the common people a lot more though, and left out the Wesley moments. But of course they couldn't because executive demands.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think the entire thread pulling their swimming trunks up to their armpits over Karin's outfit being too ridiculous quite had the game's tone pinned down by the last update.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No one was upset because it looked ridiculous, they were upset because it looks lovely.

Not sure what distinction you are trying to get at here, but if you say so

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's kind of a shame the series became a wacky anime at this point. It's not bad for what it is, the jokes land a lot better than they did in any other lighthearted JRPG I remember playing, but it is a lot more common genre than the gothic horror feel Koudelka and Shadow Hearts had. At least in a story driven ensemble cast type of a game.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The voice acting was also great.

Yeah, I that game was something else there, especially for a PS1 one. I don't know much about acting or direction, but it kind of felt like the actors were let play off each other and improvise parts of the dialogue. If I don't completely misremember the game I noted it in, there were a few parts where the characters talked over each other slightly. Which is not really something you often get even in movies unless it's exaggerated to emphasize a chaotic scene. Maybe that's even seen as a bit amateurish in some circles, since script dialog and natural dialog are two completely different things, and it'd be hard to listen to characters cutting off each other to the degree real people do. I don't think it had that effect though, just a couple natural sounding exchanges where you'd normally expect a much more theatrical pace to the line reads. Especially in a video game where voice actors usually aren't even in the same room when they record.

Also every game needs a fully voice acted drunk scene, I cannot think of a single one that wasn't amazing.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I'm still yet to be even mildly amused by a single Penny Arcade no matter how many times goons post a strip that's supposed the one time they absolutely hit comedy gold

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This is true, too. The comic quoted is a pretty easy joke -- for me, it was picking this game up in 2004 and having something close to the mainstream even referencing or discussing this game, a sequel to a niche game which was a sequel to an even more niche game. It didn't result in SH:C selling all that well, but it was nice to see coverage in some form.

Since that comic was posted, though, Penny Arcade has definitely become problematic.

But it's even worse than <genre> Movie parody movies. Like those might have the laziest "jokes" that are just referencing a joke in the original movie, but at least even they go the effort of recreating the scene. It's not just two guys watching a movie and explaining the joke that's happening on the screen?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I think I mentioned it before but "I literally punched a god and now this is what I have to deal with?" is the best way to write a JRPG sequel protagonist

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's why everyone likes Turks in FF7.

There's a part in the game where you just find them drinking in a bar, and the youngest one freaks out while the older guys are like "Jesus Christ Elena, it's a Friday evening, just sit down a drink beer like a normal person". Then later another co-grunt runs in demanding they have to clock in to help with this fugitive situation and threatens to call up their manager. They tell him to gently caress off.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

OminousEdge posted:

Poor Yuri. At least before it was mostly actual threats who teleported, not the Rent-A-Mook the Villain hired to do a job.

One of the more underrated dark ritual spells for evil wizards, trolling people with instant teleportation.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I ain't sayin' removing the CT stuff from Cross will make it good, but just makes it less infuriating.

3rd Birthday is an even better example where they should have done that. All you'd need to do is change names and come up with a different reason why the main character has magic powers (that are completely different from what they were to begin with anyway).

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Who?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Good thing the redhead actually cares about his well-being, otherwise it'd be just his dog and he'd be some kind of loser.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Druid 1: Hey I created a spell that inflicts inhumane suffering and horrors to everyone, including it's caster. Wanna hear it?

Druid 2: Hold on, let me write it down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Your father died while fighting this wizard who planned to destroy all of Japan? Is that right?

This is what I imagine the average first date conversation starter is in anime-land.