Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I genuinely consider this one of the best JRPGs on the PS2 and repeatedly smack myself for taking so long to try it because I was put off by it being set in the real world. I didn't not realize it was the completely jacked on bonkers alternate real world that is full of amazing things. I am *so* on board for this LP.

The OST is also bitchin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Nicolas Conrad is decked out in ridiculous JRPG priest gear. I'm betting he's as trustworthy as the Ethos from Xenogears. Though when it comes to fashion choices, what happened to Roger? He got an outfit more dapper than his apprentice in the first Shadow Hearts and he goes and throws it all away?

It was his day off, he just wanted to lounge around in his crud clothes and not go outside. Then some jerk kicked his door down and kidnapped him. It'd be like someone barging into your house on Sunday and kidnapping you in your bathrobe.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

So apparently the weapon classes in Shadow Hearts 1 weren't weird enough. Puppet strings and toothbrushes? Sure, why not?

Just you wait....just you goddamn wait :getin:

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait, what happened to Jeanne

She went back home.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Nohman posted:

Did they ever mention how Yuri got cursed the first time back in Shadow Hearts 1?

I think it was supposed to be implied it was a side effect of his Harmonixer powers?

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Don't forget her single lace trimmed opera glove. It's like she rummaged through some drawers and just put on the first things she found that were capable of fitting onto her body. I don't mind cheesecake designs either, and at least she's not creepy like being 14 or something, but good lord there's no color coordination or design throughline for it. It's a prime example of the hodge podge outfits that were kinda common in RPGs of the time. Like the protags of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/A2, but with more skin.

I don't hate it, but it could've been done better. Honestly doesn't really detract from the game for me though. Unless I'm blinded by nostalgia, this game is honestly super solid and charming in it's eccentricity.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

only problem is Lightning is a loving terrible character and clearly someone's waifu to the point Square going "FIRST FEMALE HERO!!!" while downplaying Yuna, Terra and Celes' importance.

Whats even funnier is that if you replace Lightning's Protagonist Slot with the character who has the most story importance...you still end up with a female lead in Vanille or Fang. But they don't look like Female Cloud with the personality of sand so obviously they're not good leads.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Question: Would YOU want the protagonist of a JRPG to have an high pitched, intentionally overblown* Australian accent? Because Vanille would be far more likely than Fang to get the nod in that scenario, and I don't know how much of that voice a lot of people can take.

*Her VA, while definitely Australian even in normal speech, apparently got told to super exaggerate it during recording

Vanille is actually an interesting character, and I never found her voice to be obnoxious. She also chills out with it later on so that helps. But honestly? I'd take just about anyone as the lead in that game over Lightning. Lightning actually is detrimental to the plot by being the protagonist because she distracts away from the *actual* important elements of a story that could've been interesting if they managed to tell it properly. Not saying FF13 is without flaws, it has a hundred, but it had the material for something neat until it became Lightning Waifu Marketing Game.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Brainamp posted:

What was Yuri's name originally? I know it was mentioned in the first thread but a reminder would be nice.

I think it was Uru, like the Chaos Wars clip showed. Chaos Wars was basically directly translated so the names were all the originals if I’m not mistaken.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Basically, if you actually removed a lot of the stuff people like to complain about in anime and video games, they'd probably end up actually *really boring*.

"Why are we always the chosen one?" Because a game about the life of a random mundane townsperson isn't a story, it's the Sims without any of the wacky bullshit that makes the Sims fun.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Did I spy a Joshua Astray silhouette?

Yep that is 100% Joshua's dumb anime forelocks right there.

I really love how this series just repurposes figures from history, also Joachim is the best party member for all manner of reasons, as shown here.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Now that I'm thinking on it, TDI's Twitter led me to that series and now it's my favorite. So thanks, dude!

This game is my favorite JRPG on the PS2, and the Trails of Cold Steel series is my favorite JRPG on the PS3/4, so everything's great about this.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Just think of how they would've had to convey that on the original Playstation and you'll see why the PS2 was such a big step forward even in RPGs.

Hell, just compare it to the faces in SH1 even, and that *was* on the PS2. Even if it was using assets originally meant for PS1 to some degree.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know if Jerome is based on anything, but it turns out that the guy who runs the wolf bout is based on an actual person.

I think this was actually mentioned in the update he first appealed, actually.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

the nice thing is yeah, much as I don't like Lucia's tarot being very suck or die that really all the characters are viable, compare to other jrpgs where there's characters that are just bad

Hats off for Ricardo.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Wakka wakka new page is go.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Are we talking the same guy? Rasputin's hair is fairly normal, if kinda greasy looking, and so far he's talked the talk and been untouchable when attacked. Plus we haven't even gotten to him putting up or shutting up.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Honestly most of the dungeons in this game look downright unpleasant to play in.

I think a lot of people block out or mentally gloss over the fact that honestly most of this eras rpg dungeons weren't great, as they were almost all switch puzzles, teleport mazes, or hallway webs.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Geostomp posted:

He did inflict Yuri with a soul-eating curse that level drained him down to the very basics. Not sure if that says life about him or if Yuri was just that far off his game after losing Alice.

Too be fair, Nicolai didn't apply that curse, the relic did. All Nick managed was to get a sneak attack and shank Yuri with a stick, which under most circumstances would've been annoying at worst. It's just that the stick in question houses a soul eating curse.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

It's implied to have made WW1 that much more brutal, and may be the cause of some of the later horrors of the 20th century like, e.g., the Nazis. So... pretty bad, yeah.

"Turns out it's man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

The original Shadow Hearts was better about trying to feel historic, even if they did take a few liberties here and there. But even the European portion of this game was pretty good about it. It's just Japanese game developers portraying Japan in a video game.

Honestly though, the anachronism is clearly deliberate and personally I think is part of the charm.