Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

InfiniteDreamer posted:

I would honestly recommend watching Dark Pixel Gaming's(on YT) videos on 13 for more info(since he does a whole series detailing every aspect about the game) but basically FF13's localization wasn't handed as carefully as it should've been. They basically made one the biggest mistakes they could've made and decided to localize the game by translating it as literally as possible.They were trying to match the Japanese script word to word.

This is what really gets me bent out of shape about game localizations. It's a pity that a large part of the possible audience for games (and anime/manga for that matter) have a quasi-fetishistic view of the Japanese language that views as blasphemous anything that isn't a 100% word-for-word translation of the Japanese script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

What's more, the idea that "faithful" translations are inherently "literal" translations is flawed. Rule #1 of translation is that you translate ideas, not words. Sometimes that means translating a sentence literally, and sometimes that means coming up with an alternative that produces in the reader of the target language the same impression as what was felt by a reader of the text in the original language. Sometimes that means coming up with something completely different from the original (big ups to my main man Fawful).

There's a speech by Umberto Eco that touches on this topic. In it, he cites an Italian translation of the book Alice in Numberland. In this book there is a chapter where Alice and the character Ramshackle have a humorous exchange in which Alice inadvertently helps Ramshackle make a pun on the word "ostracism" by confusing it with the word "ostrich". The Italian translation got hung up on the words of the original text and the ostr- prefix, and the result was an exchange where Alice and Ramshackle talk about ostracism and how oysters are always sticking their heads in the sand (to match the Italian words for ostracism and oyster, "ostracismo" and "ostrica" respectively). Eco's point was that he would have changed the structure of that exchange completely to make the joke come across for Italian audiences.

Another example of this phenomenon is the differences in the translations of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam produced by Edward Fitzgerald and Edward Heron-Allen. Heron-Allen's translation is extremely literal whereas Fitzgerald's is a lot more free. Heron-Allen's translation is boring and dry and nonsensical whereas Fitzgerald's translation is a better representation of what the Rubaiyat actually is: poetry.

To come back to game localization, I've seen reddit posts that actually do a word count of the original and translated textdumps of a game and cry foul over the fact that the English text has fewer words. I've seen YouTube videos that say that anything other than a direct, literal translation of a game's text is a form of censorship. I've seen people say that the localization of EarthBound was bad. And it makes my blood boil.

Anyway, how 'bout that Yuri, eh? Heck of a guy.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

CmdrKing posted:

God I love this game and it's complete batshit insanity.

I wonder if there's any actual blind readers in the thread, and if their wildest guesses could actually capture where this sidequest ends up.

I'll give it a go:

Blanca turns werewolf and wrestles Joachim as the conclusion for BOTH of their sidequests!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, do you think the ring soul's wife is another ring soul or just a regular human woman? I'm not sure what would be weirder.

He lives with a normal-looking wife and two kids who behave as if they don't notice/living with a floating ball of light is perfectly normal. When you find Ring Soul's house, his kids are asking him to play catch and his wife offers you a cup of tea.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't necessarily believe in them, but I do find it fun, and find it interesting that pretty much everyone I've met who actually does believe in and study the Zodiac identifies me as a Taurus within a few minutes of meeting me.

I find them interesting from an anthropological point of view because oftentimes the way a person assigns personality traits to a Zodiac sign is a direct reflection of the relationships those person has had with people of that sign. One time I read a a book on how certain Zodiac signs pair up romantically, and it was obvious that the author went through a messy divorce with a Sagittarius.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

ultrafilter posted:

I definitely appreciate how no one's commenting on Kato's goon squad. I guess we've all just accepted that that's the sort of thing Shadow Hearts does from time to time.

I'm not familiar with Japanese military history, so I don't know which two famous generals those two are.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

trash mob zombie encountered in the first fifteen minutes of the game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Fun fact: "mocos" is Spanish for boogers!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hwurmp posted:

The invocation "Et Sicut Extrema Magna, Et Ego Non Mentior" is the only known way to prevent the subject from getting monster'd.

does this mean Roger Bacon is secretly dummy thicc as well

Well, remember the rest of the incantation :

“Et fratribus non possumus negare”

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

No, stop! Don't remind them! Not now!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Wait...so if this thing is 100 wrestling rings high, doesn't that make it taller than the tower Dehuai used to nuke Shanghai in the previous game?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

MiiNiPaa posted:

Doesn't matter. He will soon find more pressing matters to consider.

Wait...you don't mean...*sound of a gunshot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks for the memories Id. Both the good and the Man Festival.