Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
First time I noticed that the opening title in-game and the localized title are completely different. This game was just Shadow Hearts 2 over in Japan, "Covenant" was simply attached there by Midway when it was brought over here.

Though, that weirdness is nowhere near as wonky as the US version of Breath of Fire IV having the title on the opening screen completely untranslated and left in katakana. I remember thinking it was just some fictional fantasy language or some graphic meant to look cool, but nope! It was simply Buresuobufaia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Nicolas Conrad is decked out in ridiculous JRPG priest gear. I'm betting he's as trustworthy as the Ethos from Xenogears. Though when it comes to fashion choices, what happened to Roger? He got an outfit more dapper than his apprentice in the first Shadow Hearts and he goes and throws it all away?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Are you going to take use the bathroom wearing those things?

I get the overall gist of the joke here, but this can be better worded.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I guess the German army sees the taking of some tiny hamlet in the middle of nowhere as a lot more important when a big fuckoff demon got involved. Though having the sole survivor go to a creepy rear end undead infested tower after all that instead of paying Pretty Priest Cardinal Conrad and whatever inexplicably bishounen anime crew he hangs out with behind the scenes in this alternate WWI history to do the dirty work of getting something that can kill it, is definitely sending her back into the frying pan.

The Dark Id posted:

Tune in next time as we finish out the rest of the tutorials (there's only one real one left), maybe fight a boss and discover the mysterious exorcism good luck charm Bishop Conrad is after as Shadow Hearts: Covenant continues!

Did you mean to mock this goober by intentionally screwing up his title, or did you forget that he's a cardinal?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Karin went berserk for me in the Gargoyle boss battle. Wasn't because of an unexpected roadblock like the Yamaraja mistranslation, her SP is just that goddamn low. Deffo made sure to keep an eye on her after that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

It's pretty much a series tradition in Shadow Hearts to have the female lead have incredibly tiny SP pools. That's especially fun when you are good at video games like I am and keep forgetting that SP drains at the start of turns so a character with 1 SP means they will go berserk next turn, not that you have one turn before they go berserk. :downs:

Yep, and it's still like that in FtNW since Shania took over Yuri's combat role with Johnny playing the role of a middling magic knight who is nowhere near as badass, and then drive it in way harder at the end when he gets his own transformation that eats into his already small SP.

The Dark Id posted:

"I want the tower guardian best to have big ol' yaoi hands, a nose-mouth, tiny baby feet, and Double-D titties!" - Official Decree by Pope Benedict XV, 1914

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 5, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm starting to think that every woman who crosses Yuri's path is literally or figuratively hosed over. Alice was saved god knows how many times and proceeded to get involved in all kinds of stupid bullsit and even took on his curse. Karin was saved and still has to deal with the trauma of her squad getting killed twice over and now is forced to process the betrayal of the churchman who's only been nice to her up until now, and make a conscious decision to help the literal demon shapeshifter that was fighting her army. So not a good day.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember in Tales of Symphonia, Kratos's character profile reads that his loyalty is suspect as soon as you get him, but the real plot twist was just what particular enemy party he is loyal to, which adds a hell of a lot of character development at the same time, and the same rule applies here.

Though Nicolai being slated to be the actual protag of this game while it was being developed and the writers caving into subsequent fan pressure to bring Yuri back when the first screenshots were dropped should make this guy's real affiliations suspect as soon as you get him. I don't think he even has a profile in the instruction manual.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That so-called Holy Mistletoe caused the pendant to go from a pure clear blue to a full Malice blood red. The light element in this game is now firmly in the realm of evil poo poo that isn't above human sacrifice and whatever else is out there. Which isn't a surprise given all the unholy horrors in the previous game being light element and the literal Inquisition kidnapping Koudelka, but now it's official that the Vatican is your average JRPG corrupt church org harboring all kinds of bad poo poo if it fuels literal hate energy.

The Dark Id posted:

I told you was Friday.

Should be a "today" there between "you" and "was."

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Sapientes Gladio also aren't part of The Vatican.

I was referring more to the Holy Mistletoe itself. You know Nicolai is bad news as soon as you look at his profile and he's described as a heretic disguised as a priest, but that Artifact of Doom was completely on the Pope's turf.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 9, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Zosim is a straight up forest Xenomorph. Forget the Alien vs Predator movies and all those dumb prequels with Prometheus and David, this is clearly the direction the next Alien movies should take.

Also, wasn't one of the enemies from the Castle of Mad Gods called Arachne? So since this thing is a pissed off monster soul that Yuri's newly cursed self hocked up, I guess there's no discrepancy here. The first actual boss is an endgame enemy from the previous game just all messed up even further from the misfortune of having gotten acquainted with our rude boy protag.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 15, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The actual kanji used for it has the translation roughly becoming something akin to "Triumphant Heavenly Firebird." I personally like Seraphic Radiance better just for the sound of it, but you know the official translation is wrong if only because there's no way in hell Dehuai should be summoning anything "seraphic" given that he's a Taoist living in China.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Taro Yoko seems to be the new go-to guy for grimdark stuff, so hopefully one of these days he'll do a Gothic/real world based kind of story.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This is the first I've learned that Karin keeps her officer's uniform even after officially joining. I was kinda hoping that you could find it later and have it available as a solely cosmetic option since her regular outfit is definitely purely appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Clearly this means that Yuri's level one dark transformation will be Wugui of Kowloon.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Combos are indeed the poo poo in this game. Using them in conjunction with some of the new attack options here like knocking an enemy up or down, all but neutralizes whatever difficulty there is.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
After saving the world and killing a god-tier eldritch abomination, you'd think Yuri would be so chill that he''d be playing along with these types of characters by now.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So is the fat thug what became of Halley? It's not like Koudelka had a serious connection to Edward beyond a post final boss one night stand, so it wouldn't be surprising if that plan of reuniting with him in America fell through and the kid absconded back to Europe to stuff his sorrows in food. Failed child JRPG party members are the new child murder.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 21, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm so sorry man. Do whatever you have to get better at a time like this.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

This was a good post, but you should probably delete that last sentence. It might come off in poor taste.

My two cents Id, don't try and force yourself to feel better, especially not like this. From my experience of grief, doing that only tends to make things worse. Whether it's fake forced positivity/motivation or by trying to numb the pain. I really don't know how to tell you to get through a loss like this, but this isn't the way. Even if you're not ready to reach out to others yet or simply don't want to (and that latter part is absolutely an understandable notion), then please don't destroy yourself like this. You mean too much to too many people.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 11, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Antics like these make me wonder how the Shadow Hearts protags would react if they were zapped into serious and dramatic games like Final Fantasy Tactics. People like Algus and Dycedarg would be thrown into the trash as soon as they appear. The Zodiac Stones would be part of some sidequest for Yuri to gain new fusions where he'd let the Lucavi try to possess him so he could punk the poo poo out of them and make up for that lovely curse. Joachim and Keith would be chilling out with Elmdor and give him coaching tips on seducing Celia and Lede, since this whole demonic invasion of the body snatchers subplot is clearly just an excuse for him to orbit around them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
gently caress me, I didn't 100% this game, but I thought the only things I missed were a few bonus bosses and dungeons. Either I completely forgot about this trading quest or was never even aware of it until now.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm pretty sure I could actually write out some late game events here and no one would believe me.

Word. It's right up there with Kingdom Hearts for sheer batshit insanity, and some of the looniest stuff doesn't even come from liberties with the whole alternate history thing.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 20, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I sometimes wonder how much of the Gama's recorded exercise routine is urban legend vs historical fact, and I see those figures quoted everywhere whenever I google him. Hindu pushups and Hindu squats can be a real pain to begin with, but to do that many everyday, multiple times per minute? If that's true, the guy could probably take on Bane and Batman at the same time.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The true plot twist y'all are neglecting to mention is that Kato's makeover is courtesy of being POWER'd by Grahf. No other way he can get both a growth spurt and sweet new JRPG duds for a sequel. It's not like he's a Nomura character.

And given what we've seen of both Yuri's crew and Sapientes Gladio, I just realized now how much Nomura would probably get along very well with the character artist for this game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Between the menu glitching out and being that strong at level one, Kawashima's inclusion as a party member would have made SH1 a much different game. She's practically the equivalent of Missingno. The overall storyline would have been as zany as this one's story, the last confrontation with Albert Simon would be a rhythm game, and the final battle with Meta-God would be an extremely glitchy Giygas fight that would be prone to simply bugging out and rendering the ending unviewable until it was revealed in an interview with the developers that this was all a Yoko Taro style plot twist and there never was an ending planned out at all.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 26, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think maybe some people here should be a little more restrained when it comes to this kinda discussion. Nothing has been outright spoiled yet on the level of the whole discrepancy between the "Roger Bacon" who first appears in Shadow Hearts and the real deal that debuted in Koudelka prior, but it's spoiler adjacent and that's bad enough. The option for those black bars exists for a reason.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I benched Lucia because of her gimmicky Tarot nonsense too, though looking at the wiki for some of the Aromatherapy stuff? drat, some of those lategame moves are pretty cheap, and in a game that's pretty easy as is, just ignore the Tarot nonsense and focus exclusively on the part that can result in screwing over the enemy bigtime. Even Setzer and Cait Sith only had one slot ability that worked against you, no excuse for Lucia's skillset to be this wonky. Needless to say they cleaned up the FtNW version of her, though that character works better simply because of durability issues both in terms of stats and the long lasting effects of the skillset.

As in, I just learned if Lucia happens to bite it in battle, so long aromatherapy effects!

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
A more charitable interpretation of Yuri's decision to get the Emigre Manuscript would be that the secret society would inevitably gently caress it up and create some eldritch abomination that would slaughter the whole lot of them, with the sacrifices this time amounting to all the nameless claw mooks left in reserve that nobody gives a poo poo about. But yeah, looks like while he's gotten a little smarter, there's still a lot to be desired.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
In the original Japanese, his name was Oscar too. Sometimes a pet monster dog owned by a dominatrix is just a pet monster dog owned by a dominatrix.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
We're diving straight into alt history shenanigans here, but trust me when I say we are only scratching the surface with what happens in this kooky weird rear end game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That guard casually missing Anastasia is bad enough, but hey, she's a little girl and the princess of Russia. Even if it's hard to buy that they just didn't see her, for all we know the people here in the palace are used to her troublemaking. That kind of incompetence is nothing compared to Shinra guards, who will miss Cloud and co hiding like that in their main HQ.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only way this scene could be improved if it turned out Blanca was secretly Poshul all this time.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know this storyline is pretty big and important all on it's own, but I had completely forgotten about this dungeon. This game is a long motherfucker.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Victor is a basic bitch flunky with all of Nicolai's smugness and none of the respect. Of course he's not going to have a portrait.

Then again, Nicolai's rightful place in the world is in Victor's shoes. The guy struggled against little toy ducks in a backwater village and barely succeeded in hitting Yuri with the mistletoe. Lenny for all his status as dumb muscle is still a pretty cool guy with no insight into the darker machinations of his crew and Veronica is Rasputin's squeeze with a talent for magic that leaves nothing to be desired. What the hell prestige does Nicolai have in this alt-history anime villain org?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

That’s what I heard. When they changed gears, Nicholai was turned into a smug, vain little worm of a villain that only succeed thanks to an overpowered stick just to be as unlikable as possible. If true, it shows that somebody higher up in the developers must have really hated the idea of him replacing Yuri.

I don't know why they dropped the idea of Nicolai being the protag anymore than anyone else, but word on the grapevine is that after the initial press releases and first screenshots were leaked, the fans raged so hard about Yuri being dropped that the development crew changed things around just to appease them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

...! posted:

And yet he was left out of FtNW, and a sequel that was already destined to be bad became even worse.

Maybe, MAYBE Yuri could have saved that drat game.

If this post here is too spoilery, let me know and I'll black bar the poo poo out of it.

FtNW had two problems, mainly that the transformation upgrade mechanics were more troublesome than they needed to be whether it was the different fetishes being scattered in sidequests that you might not be assed to do otherwise and getting the required soul energy to power up your transformations to be reliable on a consistent basis in such a relatively short game meant you practically could never run from battles or had to complete most of the sidequests to compensate, and the good ending in addition to being kinda creepy, also relied upon powering up all your transformations to max and thus required a shitton of grinding and sidequest completion.

Other than that though, it was good enough. I guess the only real problem people had with the story was it's more comedic aspects though, which are even more amped than this game and it's predecessor compared to Koudelka.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 8, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Do you want my thesis on Chrono Cross? Because that's how you get my thesis on Chrono Cross

M. Bison voice: Yes! Yes!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know that between casually reflecting the whole party's attacks and naming them Russia's Public Enemy No. 1, that Rasputin looks really badass here, but based on the power scale that our current crew is roughly on par with nerfed Yuri, from an anime Catholic schoolgirl who beat all manners of unholy abominations to death with books to a teenage boy who was friends with a devil summoning British girl and helped Yuri kill Cthulhu Jesus with a slingshot, the old team would break all of Rasputin's bones no time at all.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 10, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You'd think the king and queen would know better than to trust random strangers on the basis of any magic ability in this setting since their own daughter can use magic and now aliens are casually invading Russia too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think the real takeaway from that conversation is that R-3 comes from the Kirby universe, since his punching emoticons and him flipping you the bird makes a star.