Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This game is awesome. Best of the series. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Spaceballs parody-

Read Id’s Twitter.
Reading Id’s Twitter...

Feel really bad for him.
Feeling really bad for him.

Pray to God!
Praying to God.

He’s going through a terrible mess.
He’s going through it.

We’re with you, man!

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 2, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I have lost my grandparents, friends (Alzheimer’s, cancer), and my childhood best friend (rock climbing mishap). All I can tell you is that it does not get easier with anything but time. You have to get through it and move on any way you can. And know this- it may seem rough at the start and for a long while but eventually your life will move on from it and you will again be living your life if that is how it is meant to be. This is a reality as true and inevitable as death itself. In your case I hope it is meant to be. The light you bring into the world through the person you are should not be dimmed or broken. The same is true of the one you lost, but like it or not, you are separated from them now. Accept that. Also accept that their love and inspiration will always be with you.

Like many, I mourn your loss. I have enjoyed your art and hope to do so more in the future. Take all the time you need to recover from this. When you return we will be here for you still.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
While I can’t do much to change your life from here, and I emphasize with your situation, I think I speak for a lot of folk when I say I really wish you would not do what you say you have set out to do. I wish you would pull yourself out of the depression and will try to help as best I can. I’m not a regular reader of your LPs, I lurk more than post in the threads, I don’t know you, nor vice versa. We’re not in each other’s lives physically. God knows my own life is nothing great. You don’t know me, probably have few reasons to pay attention to what I’m saying. But I’m going to speak anyway and hope some part of you gets what I say. Your fault for not locking the thread sooner if you want to see it that way. (That last sentence is a joke.)

There are many reasons to live life and to enjoy it. You have lost one. Another, the joy I presume you got from contributing LPs to this place and thus entertaining others, remains. If you no longer have what motivated you to do that, ok. But don’t destroy yourself over depression. I haven’t read your Twitter, I didn’t know your daughter, but I really don’t think she’d want that. And as a fan of your work I don’t want it either. I don’t know much about life, but I do know you got to take joy where you can. Recognize and accept when it is given to you. That is the way to happiness. And unfortunately happiness can never be total or permanent but that doesn’t stop life being better with it than without.

If you can find the strength in yourself to live once again for the joys in your life that remain, I will still be here to read your works. And I do not think I will be alone. And even without your works, because of the joys they gave me in the past, I will still be here for you as a friend should they be over. I don’t think I’m alone in that either.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Leraika posted:

On the contrary, I loved Solomon's Key, because it made me feel like an occult badass.

Albert Simon, eat your heart out, I can match crests!!!! (Also I was going to 100% completion anyway, so no big loss there)

This was how I felt about it too, I usually like text puzzles.

Oh, and welcome back, Dark Id.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let’s not forget the Deep Ones are only one of many horrors that reside in the oceans.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And he’d have Killer Croc for dessert.

I agree with Yuri about wrestling.

Can’t help but wonder if someone was using that locker before Joachim came across it...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Grimlock always was the coolest Transformer.

Joachim as Drax? Nah. Even Ronan would never say "I doubt I'll remember killing you" about someone like Joachim.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Poor Lenny. Then again, that scene did cement him in my list of favorite JRPG mid-level bad guys. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Most of these zodiac tile descriptions are completely wrong about every person I've met with that sign. Not sure where they're getting their information.

And we have yet to solve the mystery of the Big Pussy. My bet is it has nothing to do with The Sopranos.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Come on, Id, everyone knows if you don't eat the fortune cookie your fortune won't come true. At least I think that's how it goes.

Pisces- Well, I don't think I'm easily manipulated. But that's in part because I have fallen victim to others' manipulations in the past and inoculated myself.

Leo- I can attest the game is right about them. My wife is one, my cat too. Both get upset when not praised. They're not clowned on easily, though. Not sure where Id got that.

Ah, mystery solved. And a reminder to feed your cats regularly. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Post titled Andre the Giant and no rhymes. :(

I actually never used Lucia in all my playthroughs. Personality put me off and lackluster abilities I didn’t really need meant Gepetto got company on the bench.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 10, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My party was pretty much same as Id's most of the game. I kept Blanca in because of the Wolf Bouts- I wanted him at constant high level for that. Karin I kept in because of the "male gamer female character" rule, and I liked her stats & attitude. Geppetto I didn't like for the same reasons as Id, and Joachim- well, I liked him better than Lucia and he's a power hitter, so he stayed in for that. Then, by the time our next character joined, his Joachythms started bothering me and I really liked our next character, so they started rotating. The final character largely took over the 4th slot once I got him (same reason as Infinity), though I did start benching Blanca and rotating his slot once the Wolf Bouts were finished. Still never used Lucia and rarely used Geppetto though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Quiet is the Super sniper girl in Metal Gear Solid 5, a really weird game. I’ll let you google her if you want more info.

For me, the coolest MGS sniper will always be Wolf.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sadly, the Sapientes Gladio Texas HQ is in Midland, far from where I live. Otherwise I'd drop in there frequently. :)

This post was a good illustration of why I benched Lucia in my play.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Maybe they have a chapter there too. Texas is a big state. I just know there's not one in the Austin area. Or maybe there is, and I have yet to discover it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The whole party going berserk is just the tip of the iceberg for bad things that can happen to you thanks to Tarot's RNG nature. :( Good things can happen too, but I never used Tarot enough to notice.

And yes, there are other actions that characters can take only while Berserk.

Courtesy of the Shadow Hearts Wiki posted:

-

In Shadow Hearts: Covenant, in addition to randomly attacking allies or healing enemies, nearly all the characters will perform unique moves, or otherwise bend the normal rules of the gameplay;

Yuri randomly fuses, using their special skills to attack everyone. He can use these skills even with zero MP.

Karin skips her turn by falling unconscious.

Gepetto will play with Cornelia.

Blanca urinates on someone's leg, dealing single-digit damage.

Joachim will flex his muscles.

Lucia is able to use her Tarot Card ability repeatedly.

Anastasia will search the ground for nearby items, sometimes finding something, other times nothing.

Kurando will run away, removing him from the battle.

During his brief time as a playable character, Berserk Nicolai is able to use Divine Light move - a move normally restricted only when he is playable in the Director's Cut.

Some of these might be useful, I guess. I'm surprised there aren't more abilities for Joachim's alternate forms.

There were no unique Berserk actions in Shadow Hearts 1.

Wonder if we'll get an option to go straight to St. Marguerite Island and kick rear end instead of getting the Émigré Manuscript first. JRPG plotting says probably not. :(

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If I recall correctly, it's not a Game Over. You just get booted out, Blanca is reduced to 1 HP, and the Wolf to whom you lost mocks you a bit. Then you can return to the Wolf later and try again. Being a former human is just Henry's gimmick, beating Blanca doesn't change him back.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Heroism is an industry that doesn't mind if you're a felon, which is why that industry has never really taken off in America

I disagree with that. Some of our heroes- Batman, Spider-Man, Punisher, a few Presidents and other politicians I won’t name because this is not the place for political discussions, various sports and arts celebrities I won’t name for similar reasons- have been felons several times over and are well known for it. Not all of them have been prosecuted either. Lots of outlaws are on our heroes list too- Jesse James, Bonny & Clyde, Al Capone. Opinions are divided as to whether these outlaws were actual heroes but I’m counting it anyway.

But yeah, Joachim stole Roger’s mailbox. I’d be more worried personally about who was using it to receive letters from soldiers and their loved ones at home as mentioned in the description. Does Roger operate a service we didn’t know about for the local service members and their families? Has Joachim interrupted that for his own reasons? And will he bother returning the mailbox (or the locker he took earlier) once his inevitable next weapon upgrade is found?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's really rude to counter a snarky comment I made before I had coffee with actual facts

Not apologizing. You make the post, you accept the risks and consequences.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Don't forget the right to arm bears!

Arming bares makes no sense.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, I’ve wondered too. Thanks.

Glad Lenny’s crew at least gets cool monsters.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I dated a girl named Amy once who was pretty demonic. Hence why I dated her once.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Not quite that bad. It was decades ago, so I don’t remember much. But trust me.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
True. I knew an Ashley in high school who wasn’t like that.

This can be the case with pronunciation of names too. An-Dree-a is snootier than An-Drey-a in my experience. And every guy named Tony I’ve met has had a similar personality.

Fascinating as this is, I hope to soon see more of Shadow Hearts 2.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hope Joachim can handle Great Gama Round 2 after the next dungeon. He's my favorite sidequest. Wolf Bout is a close second.

Canines wear Druid Robes all the time in D&D. Druids shapeshifted into canines anyway.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Looking forward to the next part.

Blanca, this is Wolf Colonel, come in!

Arooo!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I wonder if Oscar is a mistranslation of Orthyrs.

I also wonder if Lobo, King of the Wolves is originally from Planet Zarnia and nigh unkillable. Or if he was briefly Sheriff of Phillipe’s Island and some think they could use a Wolf like him again.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So many great memories brought back by this update. Bad dungeon, bad enemies, bad Final Fantasy VI cameo, hilarious 4th wall breaking interaction with the Ring Wraith (I mean Ring Ghost, no, wait, Ring Specter!).

And Joachim gets a new weapon. You know the really sad thing about Joachim's new weapon? You can't even sell the old one for extra cash! Ugh. So we're going to carry that mailbox around the rest of the game. How funny would it be if it still received mail?

Sadly the trick that worked on Lenny does not work on Veronica. :(

Keep up the good work, Id!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Joachim makes me wonder why more vampires don't realize they could just be superheroes and everyone would probably be cool with them.

Blade, Angel, Spike, John Hartness’ Black Knights, PN Elrod’s Jack Fleming, Thomas in the Dresden Files, Forever Knight... plenty of vampire superheroes out there, you just gotta know where to look. List does need more female representatives though. :(

quote:

Stray cat gratitude does make it easier to kill ghosts with a pipe, this is just science. Joachim is also working from the Silent Hill Principle, where a simple 3 foot steel pipe is ever the trusty friend of anyone battling monsters, so a much larger steel pipe must be much better.

Larger Spiders require a Sunday edition to effectively swat. - Garfield

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Also Marceline from Adventure Time, numerous anime characters, Disney’s Vampirina, the heroine of Hotel Transylvania, and Bella Swan. Perhaps this should be amended to representation in media I follow regularly.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 12, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don't really count Bella Swan as a vampire heroine either, especially since she spends more of her series as a Vampire Vannabe than an actual vampire. But fans of her series (which includes my ex-wife) do count her as heroic, so I include her to acknowledge their opinion.

Also, I'm grateful to my ex-wife for making me sit through those movies because afterwards I was able to more honestly appreciate the numerous bits of righteous shade and mockery others throw their way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree on Bella, but I’m not going to say any more about it here. This isn’t the place. You know why I included her, let’s just give people the right to their opinions and move on. I can’t talk about Char Aznable either, since my only experience with him is from Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

I’ll just patiently await the next LP update.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Bella is a hotshot mech pilot with thousands of kills to her name? Now I’m worried.

Selene counts in my book. So does her Expy from the Koei Zill’Oll series.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oh, come on! Who could ever forget Lenny? And he dies that easy? RIP Lenny. Your replacement, Carl, will never be as great.*

* Just kidding- no one could ever replace Lenny.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 16, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nah, Zangief is way dumber than Lenny.

Zangief- "General Bison's a BAD GUY? Then why do we work for him?"

Deejay- "Well, I don't know about you, but he paid me a fortune."

Zangief- "Wait, you got paid?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We’re probably going to have to shoot, stab, punch, zap, drown, and burn Rasputin a lot to beat him, aren’t we? In real life, they did all that, and he still wouldn’t die!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Any game based off the Three Kingdoms era of China is full of historic personalities. Ditto anything based off the Sengoku or Warring States period of Japan. I personally wish they’d do something like Deadpool: Dead Presidents with figures from US History. If it was good I’d play the heck out of it. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My favorite lich’s response to a chick wanting him- Ew, I’m not one of those disgusting biophiles!

Probably the fact that Rasputin had power and inexplicable charisma was responsible for his allure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Why is claiming premature war victory and holding big celebrations still a thing over 100 years after World War 1? Have we learned nothing? [reads it was a big thing in Ancient Babylon too and groans]