Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yeeeeeeeeessssssss.

This will be excellent. Better than the first game in every way, imo.

Can't wait to see you riff on some of the more stupid things in the game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Combo attacks are so, SO much fun.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gamble Ring shenanigans are the best.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

CmdrKing posted:

Sure, but on the other hand, what sort of monster would ever take Joachim out of the party?

Hi, hello; I'm that guy.

I love Joachim as a character, but don't particularly like him as a playable unit. I did use him over Gepetto, yes, but as soon as more party members came along Joachim was relegated to the B-team.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The tarot use is slightly less random than you think, but I'll leave why for Id to say once Lucia actually gets to be in a battle.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yuri, Karin, Lucia and <FINAL PARTY MEMBER> is the real dream team.

At least in the end game when you have all their toys.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So the Tarot isn't 100% random... only 99%

As in, if you get the sparkly card it will never be reversed. So the actual effect you get is random, but at least it will always be a beneficial one. At least, I've never gotten a reverse-sparkly card, and every time I've played this game Lucia was one of my main-liners.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Huh, I legitimately never got a Special-Reverse card in several playthroughs where I constantly used Lucia.

Sure, it's RNG nonsense, but on the rare occasion you get a Special ZA WARUDO in a boss fight is just amazing.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Extra spells is always nice as it makes it easier to get full coverage of elements/buffs across your party.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I always went all-in on Kurando's simplicity.

He can (realistically) only use Attack? Slap a Mind's Eye on him and use the gamble ring. He hit HARD.

Also, I will always remember this next boss; not because the boss itself is notable to me, but because I drew a sparkly Za Warudo the first time I ever fought it. Quadruple rewards from a boss fight were quite nice.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Lucia also just has a naturally really high magic stat.

Stick a bunch of crest magic on her and go to town.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You'll never escape from the <Combat Data>.

Never.

Nice to see you back.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I still laugh at the fact that the Evil SCIENCE lab is called the Hojo facility.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Least respected mid-boss indeed.

Even more so than Mid-Boss.

Anyway this is another dungeon I don't remember having done. Just that forgettable I guess.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gaudion does have a use over a lot of the other fusions: It's gigantic.

After transforming, you're basically guaranteed to suddenly be in position to do a combo with at least one of your party members.

If Yuri is in either of the middle positions of the starting lineup then transforming into Gaudion puts him into combo position with two others.

Starting every fight with a 3-person combo is pretty nice.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hilda is my favorite of the three Valentine siblings.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
A whole lot of things have indeed unlocked.

Including,

The Festival

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I don't remember this dungeon.

I remember the boss at the end, but not the dungeon itself.

Being forced to use Anastasia and Kurando wasn't a problem for me as they were two of my headliners anyway.

Anastasia has some pretty high magic; she's a menace with crest spells. Also I guess some of her monster spells are good too.

Kurando's a beat-stick.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Magic Fanatic posted:

I was addicted to getting my hit count as high as possible during bosses, so my party was Yuri/Karin/Joachim/Anastasia for the longest time, with Joachim eventually getting switched out for Kurando for a thing much later on.

Exactly!

Yuri/Karin/Anastasia/Kurando was my final party too.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The Eternal Key!

So a fun thing you can do in this game (I forget if it works in FtNW) is use the Gamble Ring.

Remember, it's the one that condenses your entire judgement ring into a single critical area, that if you hit does your full combo. One button press at initial ring speeds for a full combo.

Yes it works with keys, yes it works with the Eternal Key. Succeed a single (admittedly hair thin) button press and your character of choice won't stop attacking until the enemy is dead.

Give Lucia/Anastasia/Geppetto a really weak weapon so they only do single digit damage per hit, and you can get a multi-thousand hit combo.

So yeah, the Eternal Key is pure meme potential

I will edit out those spoilers if Id wants that to be a surprise for later.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Y'know, I'd forgotten about the existence of the Dating Outfit.

It's still got nothing on the horny in FtNW though.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

it's just a festival, how wild could it be

*kerplunk!*

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Put me down as also not realizing that I could bail to save and resume from where I left the first time I did this.

Attempted to do it all in one shot, only to not have instant death protection on Anastasia.

I put the game down for about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I (and a lot of others on the internet I guess) think of the SH timeline like this:

Shadow Hearts 'Alice Dies' Ending ->
Shadow Hearts: Covenant 'Yuri Dies and Time Travels' Ending ->
Shadow Hearts NG+ Where Yuri Saves Alice Ending ->
Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Anyway, it's been a fun ride Id.