Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Speedball posted:

Point of note: Yuri's neck gem, the one that indicated how much Malice he was accumulating in the first game?

Well...

This is him before the Mistletoe,

and this is after he got it rammed into his chest.

Yeah...

A bet the Masks are getting a ton of 'your girlfriend died for you' speeches warmed up as we speak.

I mean seriously, how often do those guys get to screw with the same person twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Junpei posted:

It's a little subtle, but over the course of the first game and this one, we've slowly been moving from Idiot!Yuri to Snarky!Yuri.

He looked outside the church at the start, saw the possessed children's toys, and decided to just roll with it.

I think at this point the final boss of No More Heroes 2 could drop in and Yuri wouldn't even bat an eye.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

The Dark Id posted:

<nods> ...All right, Joachim. I remember you when you were just a dying bat, but you've certainly turned out fine. Off with you, then! Build up your skills then come back and show me how strong you've become!

Could you imagine taking in an injured bat and nursing it back to health, only to wake up one morning and Joachim is just there.

How much has the old lady been through to just say this like it was completely normal.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

taiyoko posted:

Does Joachim suplex a ghost train?

Suplexing trains is predictable.

The train suplexes Joachim back. :getin:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Calling it now: Joachim's ultimate weapon will be Keith's coffin.

Every hit will have a small voice line of Keith complaining about it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

YggiDee posted:

Joachim's final weapon will be an entire other monster.

Joachim creates a time machine to go back to SH1 and gets the final boss as his ultimate weapon.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

RelentlessImp posted:

Joachim's time machine takes him all the way back to Koudelka, and he gets the Gargoyle.

The reason Edward never showed up in SH1 is because Joachim got mixed up and grabbed him instead.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

The real reason she's the only member of the World Fitness Walking Society is because she demands the new members walk in dungeons and they all get slaughtered by random encounters.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Calling it now: Nicolai kidnaps the Ring Soul's wife and it joins our party to get her back.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you give her a tranquilizer rifle any mission to a military base turns into a shopping trip for new recruits.

Yeah Quiet is pretty much like Magikarp.

Her default rifle is kinda bad, but push through it and she can pretty much tranq an entire base with no issues forever so long as you keep up on negating helmets being passed around.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That ellipses hints at a story and I'm now picturing you saying that, taking a drag off your cigarette, and staring off into the distance.

Hierophant is a 50% heal, I imagine getting a sparkly reverse Hierophant just instantly kills everyone.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SaitoBatch posted:

Ironically... or logically, the only reverse card you'd want to get would be the Hanged Man. Doesn't that you kill you if you get it right side up?

Normal Hanged Man makes all enemies skip their next turn.

Reversed makes you skip your turn.

Special makes both effects last two turns, meaning special reverse Hanged Man gives the enemies two free turns to beat you to death.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Janus should have taken some lessons from Caim, then he could get pleasure from murder and chill out.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I find it cute how even Nicholai has to deal with dungeon puzzles.

Also Lenny's concern over his men is :kimchi:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

And looking back at the DX content:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Her personal skill is Aroma Oil - Stun Perfume, which damages enemies, and has a chance to paralyze them.

What an interesting bit of story and gameplay integration.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Can we just leave Gepetto here? I'm sure he won't mind.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

If we don't get at least one fight with Rasputin that ends with him 'dead' for an hour before showing up out of nowhere I will be severely disappointed. :colbert:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pesky Splinter posted:

Part of the problem is in SH1, Albert's in things for the long con with three or four different world-ending plans in motion.

Like, he vows revenge against the church, spends 500 years plotting his revenge, steals the cursed books, gives one to Patrick knowing it's going to summon some twisted poo poo, aids Dehuai in Shanghai (which fails)...and then apparently mellows out and joins Sapientes Gladio, only to then apparently decide to...do his original plan anyway. And also cursing the rando he sold his house to because he wanted another cursed world-ending bug monster.

And then it's suddenly just "Oh no, all those bad things he did were in the cause of stopping Rasputin". Somehow.

Despite that, I do like how they tie Albert in to the plot. It makes zero sense, but whatever.

I'm just waiting for a big reveal that SH1 was just bait to try and get someone to become strong enough to take down Rasputin. Either his plan is thwarted and Rasputin is next on the chopping block, or the world is destroyed and Rasputin's plans get thrown out the window anyways.

The reveal is given by Albert himself, who either didn't die after all or just goes full Obi-wan and shows up as a force ghost for the rest of the game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'll be honest, when Yuri's normal face showed up during the punch, I was half expecting the camera to pan out a bit more and have Albert's ghost back him up like this was Gohan vs Cell.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I don't like it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Junpei posted:

I like RPG mechanics that make sure you actually pay attention to fights instead of just mashing A to win via basic attacks or spamming the strongest attacks.

The problem is that such a system can very, very easily become a chore once you've done a couple hundred fights and it becomes pointless busywork.

I'm looking at you, Legend of Dragoon! :rant:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Speaking of the step counter, does running around in St. Marguerite Island still count, or were they smart enough to disable it after they removed all the random encounters?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Alternatively, we end up fighting each one individually, at which point they all combine into Sun Wukong or something.

Complete with the extending staff. Joachim gets it as a weapon after.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Shitenshi posted:

I know someone actually did complete an SSLP of that game way back when in 2011-2012, but for some reason it was never archived. Good luck with the mechanics though. I can't believe a game from that era actually tried to use the FF2 leveling system with the weapons.

Here's the thread, but you'll need to buy archive access for your account if you don't already have it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Considering Yuri's luck, I'm guessing the Alice-monstrosity will have just enough of her soul to end up taking the Mistletoe curse in Yuri's place.

Yuri will have to live knowing his girlfriend sacrificed herself for his sake for the same thing twice over.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Lunar Suite posted:

NGL, the Sub-Persona system, especially the part where you recover X HP and SP based on the sub-persona, was busted as gently caress and of course I abused the hell out of it.

So tbh yeah bring it back. I have fond memories of slamming Impure Reach (increase change of status effects landing) and Silence Circle (stop all enemies from using magic) onto Naoto, the character with the biggest stat - I wanna say luck? - for landing them, and nerfing every enemy encounter I met.

Why stop there? Give her Alice/Daisoujou and instantly delete any encounter that isn't outright immune. With the Sub-Persona SP boost, she could last for a full excursion without running dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Thanks for the LP, Id! :toot: