Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I find it a little impressive they bothered spelling out "Emigre" in Greek letters on the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I love that not only has Yuri decided to out of the blue start dancing with Blanca, but that no one else seems to notice or care.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The evidence is that "prayerful healing" would have been, with the state of medicine in the 1910s, the most helpful thing to do for a child with hereditary anemia. You can't transfuse platelets, any number of medicines are at best snake oils with no efficacy and the real medicines would be contraindicated. Having a creepy old monk put his hands on your head and mumble a few words and not letting the physicians try out whatever pharmaceutical nonsense they've whipped up in a lab that would make a meth cooker blanche would have been a healthy thing to do.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Eh, he's likely a black mage with no actual healing spells.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Omobono posted:

Are we still in the stereotypical "leeches for everything" phase here?
E: assuming it ever was a thing that happened of course

But yeah, modern medicine is still in its infancy and a charlatan with the right idea could outperform court doctors with no clue. I'm also giving the Romanovs a lot of credit by assuming they hired actual doctors instead of charlatans pretending to be medics before Rasputin.
The state of medicine at the turn of the 20th century is one where things are being rationalized, where we are getting away from ancient and outdated modes of thinking, but where there isn't a full framework in place yet. So the germ theory is in, miasma theory is out. There is a new systemic science of chemistry and there are even drugs which actually do things! But there's no understanding of the biochemical processes which govern wellness. Bacteria cause illness, what do you do to bacteria already in the body? There was no answer for this at the time. How about the ravaging disease that is turning against Prince Alexei's body? All you could do is physically fix his body when he gets injured, maybe shove this new chemical down his throat and see what happens. Had the revolution not occurred, it is really likely that the new mystical "radiation" would have found its way into the poor kid and that would have been as deadly as any Bolshevik's bullet. Radium was going to cure everything, everyone knew it in the 20s and 30s. Maybe combine it with opium-laced water for best effect.

There was a very thin line between medicine and quackery.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You give a wolf a kimono and now he thinks he's a native, typical weeb

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Is this even a question? It's a Japanese RPG made in the early 2000s. Both weapons will be identical and they'll be beaten by Joachim's latest find, a length of deck railing from the sunken Titanic.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So the weird thing is that the pre-WW1 era in Europe saw a huge relaxation of border controls. It was too much work to vet everyone's paperwork with the much faster and greater volume of travel afforded by the rail network; passports were fairly uncommon because on the eve of WW1 Europe resembled the Schengen Area of today's EU.

Of course the party's statelessness doesn't make sense during WW1 but details.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Blanca should never leave the party because he's the Best Boy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You know, I should have expected a WWE-esque announcer's table. I wasn't expecting that they'd go "yeah it's a flimsy piece of poo poo, but it's a LEGENDARY flimsy piece of poo poo" to justify it as an upgrade over a structural element holding up a house.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Are YOU going to object when a muscled weirdo who knows the main muscled dude in the ring snatches your table?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I dunno why the writers want to set the plot in the WW1 era when the aesthetics scream mid-60s. The lobby looks like we're visiting the local bank including florescent lighting and commercial drop ceilings, the lab is straight from the set of a low-budget horror movie of the era, the tech and concepts are the fears of science gone amok in the hysteria of the Cold War.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

FalloutFan56 posted:

I'm assuming it's because Yuri would be about 70 years old or so in that scenario. That being said I'm now imagining old man Yuri's answer to the Cold War would be to drop kick nukes to deactivate them.
I feel like they've had this problem in Shadow Hearts 1 too, especially the Kowloon Walled City which wasn't the massive slum depicted until, you guessed it, the mid '60s. There's just a lot of super weird anachronisms. I guess if you really wanted to slam in the whole Rasputin/Russian Imperial family subplot, but otherwise the games have a much more modern feel than the Edwardian era it says it's in.

Like this last update could have been taken from Resident Evil or a vault in a Fallout game.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When the small child doesn't take you seriously it's time to reconsider your life choices.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's still hilarious that the party spent like an hour in a hellish netherworld and fought a monster out of nightmares and their biggest concern was where Our Dude got his totally stylin' pillow. Brows were furrowed because of the refusal to reveal which home goods store carries floating pillows.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I think the implication is that Lobo is Blanca's grandfather. Lobo's son became the park ranger, but it's the son of the park ranger who came back to beat the poo poo out of the undead zombie wolf.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The pathos would work much better if their entire relationship in this game wasn't incredibly creepy and was filled with highly questionable moral and ethical decisions.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Just long enough to dick punch Yuri in the ol' feels!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That really sums up this entire adventure, doesn't it?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

After a certain point the game stops giving a poo poo about its dignity and it's utterly delightful :allears:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Vauron posted:

Even counting how late he joins, he'd do better if characters didn't stay in the party permanently. Like, if the party members left the party after their role in the story was done, there'd be more room for him. Maybe set things up so that some are Part 1 only, and some are Part 2 only. Yuri and Karin would be permanent, obviously, but basically everyone else hits a point where the story is done with them outside of their sidequest.
Phantasy Star IV implemented this well, you'd get characters that joined because of a specific goal and then when they were done...they were done, until the big cosmic bad reared its head and you all had to go kick its rear end. But that means writing scenarios that have this in mind from the start so you pick up and drop off PCs in an organic and game-balanced way.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

PS4 is by no means a hard game either, so if anything the game tends to pull its punches if there's a chance it thinks that your healing may not be particularly strong for whatever particular challenge you have (bar one sscenario, but that's what consumables are for.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Thank you for this and all your LPs, and I hope whatever you do finds you loving that poo poo.