Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

that Timex watch sync thing that used your CRT to blow your schedule onto your watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

oh man i hope you are joking

just to make sure, you know rhl 6.2 != rhel 6.2, right?

because i hope rhl 6.2 (kernel 2.2, predates ssh and ext3) is not currently used 'everywhere' in your experience

I made this mistake last year trying to RE some software that ran on RHEL 5.5 (I think) and I downloaded RHL 5.5 and was so confused when I had to turn back the dials on VMWare compatibility just to boot the installer and later was so confused there was no SSH or any loving modern utils until I ran uname and realized my mistake. lol.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Hed posted:

that Timex watch sync thing that used your CRT to blow your schedule onto your watch

hell yes

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

golden diskette

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

early 3d can be charming but there’s lots of warts (pop out, jittering and rotating low res textures, view fog, tanky controls etc) but it was fuckin rad at the time

for sure

i will be surprised if games in the future going for a retro look try to replicate early 3d rather than 2d pixel art

they’ll probably do modern 3d with pixel art textures :manning:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

there are games going for it now but from what i've been told it's hard to make a hosed up z buffer on purpose

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

there are games going for it now but from what i've been told it's hard to make a hosed up z buffer on purpose

the biggest problem when reproducing the constraints of old 3d hardware is that you then have to work at minimizing the many artifacts that it causes (like lack of perspective correct texturing or no z buffer at all), because they're what you are after, but not too much, and games from those eras did all they could to minimize them

pixel art, on the other hand, is just easier to do than high res 2d art or 3d art, so thats why indies like it

for 3d its easier to just do clean looking cartoonish 3d art than to emulate bad 3d from old hardware

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it looks terrible how modern pixel art will do things like arbitrary rotations and ignore the (large and imaginary) pixel grid

Zlodo posted:

the biggest problem when reproducing the constraints of old 3d hardware is that you then have to work at minimizing the many artifacts that it causes (like lack of perspective correct texturing or no z buffer at all), because they're what you are after, but not too much, and games from those eras did all they could to minimize them

for 3d its easier to just do clean looking cartoonish 3d art than to emulate bad 3d from old hardware

when i was doing rod rocket i just realised that no textures looked miles better than poo poo textures so embraced the clean lines of vector 3d but modern 3d poo poo like bloom etc

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
hated this poo poo! i want my midi musics when i play my tyrian!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

top 10 pack with kasparov chess and the chuck yaeger flying game

tabworks

this space pinball game I bought

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

i love early 3d. im sure its nostalgia driven, but i still go back to play poo poo even that i didnt grow up with

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
suddenly I remember playing like warbirds or something, it came packaged with my Logitech joystick, and it felt like it was meant to be played online but I didn’t have internet so I would just fly around blowing stuff up by myself

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
insert disc 3

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flip diskette to side b

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

flip diskette to side b

1990s, not 1890s smd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shaking my dick?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

knew someone would slip that in there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

shaking my dick?

it's a work-safe version of SMDH which means :nws:SMDHeck:nws:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrF4aaTQlTM

I played this poo poo on 5 1/4 inch floppies and I remember it being really fun.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

insert disc 3

sephiroth kills aerith

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anime fansubs on vhs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

VCDs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

with text on the jacket that had nothing at all to do with the movie

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

louigly hamd-transr1bed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70iE0FQ_qcY

i cant get past the first thing you do in the game lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh god you guys are totally reminding me : remember cd-rom?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

remember cd-rom?

remember cd-rom caddies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

get a load of this scrub who had to use a match :smug:

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

I'm the skeleton picture on the wall

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gran Turismo is fine; I played it a lot only last year.

you think? i tried it out under emulation a while ago and felt hugely let down. maybe i just expected too much from it based on my memory of playing it on the ps1 and being blown away by how good it was for the time

cd drives with headphone ports and play buttons.

sound card breakout faceplates with 1/4" jack ports

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

power supplies that look like standard atx but have a different pinout :argh:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
back in the 90's the wire you bought was the wire that went in the machine

nobody was calculating the length and curve radius of the cable from the front panel to the board

https://techreport.com/review/7538/dfi-lanparty-925x-t2-and-915p-t12-motherboards/3
were the beginning of the end.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

url posted:

nobody was calculating the length and curve radius of the cable from the front panel to the board

https://techreport.com/review/7538/dfi-lanparty-925x-t2-and-915p-t12-motherboards/3

im this thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sling that mofo around your printer for those tactical sorties to the home of your loose female acquaintance.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

dfi holy poo poo i haven't heard that name in years; nicely done url

Father Jack posted:

power supplies that look like standard atx but have a different pinout :argh:

at keyboard jacks that didn't plug in right-side-up

THE GREEN JACK IS FOR YOUR MOUSE MOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

url posted:

tbh I miss this poo poo