Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, trying to play an Ace Combat game on an iPhone sounds absolutely miserable to me. Kudos to you for tackling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Also here, have this really awful picture of Vincent Harling, full-scale, as my Christmas gift to you all

Aww, it's just what I wanted! How did you know?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I say A, because I want you to get to 6 and 7 ASAP.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Oh nice! That one isn't in the LP archive yet, so I haven't seen it. I'll check it out. Still want to see you LP AC7 though, the only Ace Combat I actually played.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm flipping a four-sided coin in my head between Project Wingman, redoing Assault Horizon Legacy now that it basically works 99% on Citra, maybe taking a swing at doing Electrosphere myself, or just going "enough" and retiring.

The thing that keeps putting me off about Project Wingman though is its lack of checkpoints. So I'm waiting to see if that's gonna get patched or not of if they're gonna leave it as-is, because right now it's just insufferable.

I wouldn't hold out much hope. Maybe I missed a post from the devs where they say different, but the feel I got was that the lack of checkpoints was an intentional design choice. That's the problem when you have 'fan projects' like this. They take the good and the bad. AC0 didn't have checkpoints, so they won't either, even if AC0 had a larger number of shorter, tighter missions with very few 'gotcha now you're dead!' moments.

And yes, I do remember Excalibur, but at least the lead-up to that was fast.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I think all of my game overs in PW was from crashing into things than actually being shot down.
Although I was very close do it during one of the Aces fights. Think I finished with 20 hp or something in the end.

But that was also before I judiciously spammed flares. Something I really missed when I played through two of the AC7 DLC missions.

Missiles seem a lot harder to dodge in PW, though. In AC7 it felt like you could juke a missile just by wiggling your nose a bit, but it took a lot of work to shake one in PW if you weren't using flares.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You do know that, not everything done in war is a war crime, right? Like, you're allowed to shoot down enemy military planes in war. You keep using 'war crimes' to describe things like bombing enemy munition depots and shooting down enemy fighters. I know Ace Combat, especially Zero, had you doing a lot of things that totally were, but still, not everything you do in a war is a war crime.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Sally posted:

i sometimes forget that not everyone who posts in our LP are into the deep lore of our endless sea of stupid injokes and references haha. though no Dash Rendar, the Ace Combat memes run deep.

Yeah, sorry. I missed the Killzone ride. I should go back and dig them out of the archives.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
A couple videos ago you mentioned thinking about LPing Project: Wingman when you were done with this game. I definitely agree that game has some awful checkpointing. It's one of a few places where it really looks like they went 'This is how Ace Combat Zero was so this is how we'll do it!" without understanding why Zero was like that, and later games weren't.

Also you are probably aware, but if you do LP the game you need to do the entire thing in twin-seaters, because unlike in Ace Combat, your WSO is an actual character with her own lines that you will only ever hear if you have a plane with two seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Psion posted:

my guess is like many things it got cut for time as opposed to a deliberate misunderstanding of Zero. Considering the number of other almost-complete features that didn't make it (e.g. a near-finished A-10) this seems plausible as yet another one.

I guess if that's the case, I have to give them a bit of respect for knowing when it's time to cut and ship, rather than falling into the usual Kickstarter hole of constant feature creep.