Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

X has always felt like one of the more underrated games in the series to me. Sure the gameplay's trimmed back a bit due to PSP hardware and the plot is just kind of there in comparison, but I love the trance/techno feel of a lot of the soundtrack and Project Aces knew how to squeeze every last drop of fun gameplay out of this.

Also I appreciate the references to the clusterfuck that is the fallout of the plot of Ace Combat 7 in the write-ups. It just emphasizes how messed up things got during it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

This is one of my favorite tracks in the game right here. Like I'll mention in a future commentary, I really like the trance/techno feel they went with for this game's soundtrack.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

"Here are your orders, Falco Squadron: Eliminate the enemy. Also try to do better and please win."

No wonder Aurelia nearly lost the war in the beginning with upper command that incompetent...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

You know, Crow, most Ace Combat pilots would at least have the dignity to have an anime girl on their plane. Having a pro wrestler skin is just wrong.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by Estovakian Sympathizer Dr. Snark, who makes a really good case for sending his rear end back Snow Level Hell for Ace Combat 7.

Garuda 1 is the real menace! The Chandelier was a Emmerian black ops project meant to demonize Estovakia! Wake up, sheeple! :beck:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Not gonna lie, I actually really liked those short stories. They added a lot of character to the destruction of the Glepnir, and that's really cool.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

I remember playing an RTS on the 360 that used voice commands, it wasn't all that good as I recall but I had a lot of dumb fun playing it and yelling at my idiot tanks. I could see another game trying that nowadays.

I'm pretty sure that's Tom Clancy's EndWar, which by all accounts was an okay RTS that had some really cool ideas (ability to yell at your dudes, lots of army customization) that I really wish had gotten passed along into other games. Ah well...

power crystals posted:

What happened to Assault Horizon? I though I heard a passing mention of that in I think it was the most recent video.

Crow's made it preeeeetty clear he's not doing that one himself last I recall. Floor's always open for suffering.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

ZeButler posted:

I've seen Assault Horizon before, the game is really pretty to watch, but playing is a slog.

I do wish they brought back something resembling the "base assault" they did for the multiplayer though. That was actually pretty fun with the back-and-forth.

It's also probably the only good concept AH brought to the table.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

don't believe his lies

the past videos were suppressed because I had the gall to tell the truth about the menace that is Garuda 1

the truth will never be silenced

(In all seriousness what Crow said re: my availability and willingness to step aside is 100% accurate and almost directly quoted from a conversation I had with him just to be clear. Figured I'd at least vouch for the accuracy!)

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 25, 2021

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Mission 8A because I'm aware that the playthrough/commentary for The Worst Mission In The Entire Ace Combat Series has already been done but the suffering should be postponed as long as possible.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also what's the deal with Crux? He always sounds so nervous and like he's walking on eggshells when he briefs you, specifically like he's an intern in his first week of the job and is uncomfortable relaying orders to someone who outranks him.

Funnily enough this was actually a point Crow and I briefly talked about in the first version of the mission commentaries - the TL;DR is that the dude's first major outing ended with him watching as the majority of the forces under his supervision were blasted away by an SWBM, and you don't exactly get over that quickly. It's understandable that he'd be a bit jittery even well after that.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 2, 2021

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Leave the special forces alone at all options so they are present in a later mission where they make life difficult.

no

god why

please god no

edit: wait im misremebering the mission in question isnt the Worst Thing Ever goddamnit this is what this decision chain does to me

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone lived happily ever after except for the bad guy and there were no war crimes or civilian casualties and everything is going to go back to normal in like a week because we’re dealing with a work of fiction in which wars are frequent and frictionless except when they aren’t for story purposes. Can you tell I’m getting incredibly cynical about these games as we finally claw our way to daylight on them, or have I just always been like that? Please, let me know by posting something about it so that I know people are actually reading this poo poo and I’m not just screaming into the void about the nichest entry in a series of already niche games about magic jet planes and fantasyland geopolitics that falls apart the second you bother to try and analyze any of it.

I'mma chalk that up to going back-to-back from AC6 to ACX, both of which are pretty big on the "consequences of war what consequences" side of the scale more than anything else. Mostly because 7...well...doesn't exactly hold back on that front.