Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
but now you can do Ace Combat X - Mission 1 [4K 60 FPS FULL ULTRA HD QUALITY] for those sweet youtube algorithm clicks, so is it all bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

My experience dodging them was the exact same as firing them; they had good seeker logic but weak turning so if you didn't turn hard right as they got close, they would continue seeking in better than AC's missiles which get distracted by everything.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I've already sent out notices to the folks for the re-recordings, so hopefully that's gonna start this week.

if someone doesn't make a "it's been 10000 years" rita repulsa reference, please fire all your commentators

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

radintorov posted:

I can't help but find funny how not very useful the "Pull Up" message is when you fly too low: it sounds like someone bored making a suggestion instead of an actual warning message
:geno: "Your altitude is too low.. pause ..pull up" :geno:

it's been programmed to recognize the protagonist of the title, who will - inevitably - have no respect whatsoever for things like altitude or clearance or anything involving flight safety

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll admit I've considered redoing the HAWK LPs. Mostly because my soundtrack choices doesn't really work, and it's subtitled, and some of my commentary is honestly... pretty bad.
Not to mention the Halo ones considering 3 is available for PC now, but I feel others have that handled nowadays.

but then you'd have to replay HAWX

so long as you keep the Crenshaw Counter (tm) though...

Gothsheep posted:

I definitely agree that game has some awful checkpointing.

Wingman doesn't have any checkpointing at all :v:

my guess is like many things it got cut for time as opposed to a deliberate misunderstanding of Zero. Considering the number of other almost-complete features that didn't make it (e.g. a near-finished A-10) this seems plausible as yet another one.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 31, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Flesnolk posted:

That too! It's been fifteen years and it feels downright criminal none of the other Ace Combats have used this idea.

probably because it rarely works out in practice as well as in theory. Branching campaign structure usually means a lot of developer time wasted as players don't see the branches and it adds a ton of overhead to creating it. that's been true since the 90s at least and the value proposition is only getting worse as dev costs go up :shrug:

sure, you get the rare game like Alpha Protocol, but it's definitely the exception

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

CHOOSE WISELY

which choice makes it harder on you?

e: I mean, of course, so I can pick the other one

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

HereticMIND posted:

They seriously need to consider remastering this game and/or bring it in more line with current canon in regards to Strangereal.

Hell, release it for the PS5/XBXS if that’s what it takes.

I would much rather they spend the time making more good ace combats instead

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

HereticMIND posted:

I suppose that’s the trade off, then.

glib replies aside, I think X remake would be an incredibly hard sell? Because it's so clearly a product of the PSP's limitations a remaster just wouldn't do much and a remake would be a lot of effort to bring it up to par. At that point just make a new game? It doesn't have - to my knowledge - the sort of glowing fanbase love the PS2 trilogy did so it has to stand up on more than nostalgia.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well except the C version

the V/STOL model is the -B

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 14, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

biosterous posted:

i'm hoping we get to see the yf-23 in all its glory. such a pretty plane!

if you're ever compelled to visit Dayton, Ohio you could see it in real life!!

whether this is a pro or a con is up to you, but it's in the same hangar as the Valkyrie so you'll probably avoid the crowd :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

Do they likely have skyline chili in Dayton? I've always wanted to try it.

Yes, there's one fairly close to Wright-Patterson. And even if that one doesn't work out, flight prices probably mean flying into Columbus or Cincinnati and driving, so I'm pretty sure you can get it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

Oh, it's the name of the restaurant, not just the dish. Thanks for pointing it out. There's one near the hotels, too.

I think Skyline (the restaurant) is just one place to get skyline (the dish) which should probably be called cincinnati-style chili or something, but brand recognition is a powerful thing. May as well get Skyline Skyline though, right?

i really want some four-ways right now...

stryth posted:

So, I'm curious, on a scale of 1-10 (1=brain dead, 10=genius) What's everyone's opinion on the building of several massive particle beam cannons fueled by what amounts to a probably heavily overclocked large Hadron collider, in the middle of a heavily populated city?

for us: 1
for Strangereal, where anti-asteroid weaponry is literally a global pastime, probably a 10. Zero deflection shots are so much easier to calculate, after all.

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 18, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've never been to a proper Skyline so keep that in mind, but I've had the dish at another place. In my opinion, the more ways the better, because that means more stuff stacked on it. Place I went to topped out at five-ways. I thought Skyline topped at four but wikipedia misled me compared to their menu!

I do know some people who swear by coney dogs too, so ... I don't think you can go wrong.

anyway uh about that ace combat game

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

Imagine a guy who got the stomach flu and needed to sleep in his tent, only to get a missile up his bum

talk about shooting fish in a barrel here

Strangereal Johnny Sasaki sure got a bad hand

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

★C-5
  • Plane: C-5 Galaxy
  • Mission 10A
  • Spawn conditions: Shoot down four XC-01s. Spawns in the center of the map and tries to blend in with the remaining XC-01s.
  • Reward Part: Tracer

uh this is extremely unrealistic, this C-5 is flying and not grounded with a "mechanical issue" during a stopover in Hawaii

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Update at the end of last page, I shamefully sniped it

Angry_Ed posted:

That's Strangereal for you :v:

that's true...what's Strangereal hawaii called, then I can complain they aren't grounded there. But it's true that Strangereal has a global belief in availability rates that's well over the line of fanatical. Every single air force can produce an enormous range of flyable planes in perfect working order at all times.

nine-gear crow posted:

So our next update will look at the absolute worst-case disaster situation of Mission 7C (Time Limit), followed by the slightly less disaster-centric and more fun Mission 12C (Wild Card). Since we’ve seen all the permutations of missions leading to each of them, doing another run of Part 2 is belaboring the point, so 7C and 12C should be considered nothing more than a pair of bonus updates for now.

excellent :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

crow I want you to know I take no joy in you suffering through Time Limit -- I don't think I hate anyone that much -- but I am glad to see the trinity back :v:

obviously this means you need to play AH together...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

HereticMIND posted:

13A—Alect Squadron

Planes with bullshit superweapons is bad enough. You put verified aces in those planes? Yeah, no. That’s a recipe for a bad time. We can deal with the superweapons easily enough; it won’t be any sort of cakewalk, but we can deal.

14A, for the exact opposite reasoning

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

can crow truly be free until killzone is done?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blindsided Sally posted:

have i got some good news for you! as of last night we've finished recording commentary for all Killzone Shadow Fall vids. And only 3 more remain for Mercenary. soon we shall ALL be free!

hmmm in light of this information I'd like to revise my question:

can crow truly be free until killzone is done AND all the videos have been posted?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

both of you are wrong about the FB-22

every ace combat player in the world sees this image and thinks 'okay if I just apply a little rudder I can fly right through'

and of course you did it twice ...well, three times if we count your "forgot to fire the missiles" run :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 11, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

I'm going to assume that special weapons also get refueled... somehow... we live in a society strangereal universe anyway

They just use CheatEngine while you're hooked up to the tanker and find the remaining missiles count and reset it to max.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Please, let me know by posting something about it so that I know people are actually reading this poo poo and I’m not just screaming into the void about the nichest entry in a series of already niche games about magic jet planes and fantasyland geopolitics that falls apart the second you bother to try and analyze any of it.

would it be rude if I just posted tl;dr, which suggests I didn't read it but by specifically quoting this part I'm implicitly acknowledging I did read it, thus sending us into an ironic reading feedback loop?

yeah? yeah, I thought so too.

X is just kinda empty, start to finish. It's there. It exists. It gave me a mean hand cramp trying to play it on a real PSP (while curled into a window seat on a plane flight, for maximum aviation) and uh, I wish the Apalis had a showing in a better game?

Cooked Auto posted:

01010111 01101111 01101111 01100110

:golfclap:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wow, I can read binary because I don't have to translate that to know what it is!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, 4 is 100% done, I just need to proofread it and resend the archive request to Baldurk because he changed the procedure for getting stuff archived since the last time I sent something off to him for archival.

i think it's reasonable baldurk update the process every 5 years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I must have forgotten how ugly Fregata is

sorry plane, you're not great. That single tail does nothing for you.

pictured: an unrelated, but also ugly, plane: