Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is a little VR title released during the heady days of 2017. VR was taking the world by storm, and developers had not yet realized that they could treat it as a dumping ground for their failed mobile phone projects. Enter Red Storm Entertainment, makers of fine products such as Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon 2, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Ghost Recon Teaches Typing, and... Werewolves Within? Somehow they, in conjunction with Ubisoft, had the license to make a Star Trek game based on both the classic show and the newer JJ-Abrams Trek, at the time releasing its third movie. One thing lead to another and Bridge Crew sprang fully formed into being. The incredible thing is, despite being a licensed film franchise tie-in for a niche platform that was already beginning to spiral into irrelevance, Bridge Crew is actually really good! It is essentially just Artemis Bridge Simulator with a coat of Trek, but let's be honest- that is all that most Trek fans ever wanted. To sit at the consoles, shouting at each other about Klingons as the ship gradually disintegrates around you- that is the true essence of the Bridge Crew experience and let me tell you it's a hell of a lot of fun.

The game is played through four roles- captain, tactical officer, engineer, and helm officer. The captain is the only role to which the mission objectives are directly displayed; they are responsible for communicating these to the crew and issuing orders to accomplish them. The helm officer controls the ship's course and travel between regions through impulse or warp drive. The tactical officer is in charge of sensors and weapons. The engineer manages the ship's power distribution and supervises repairs. You can play as either the Nu-Trek bridge, or on the OG classic Enterprise, which let me tell you is a nightmare of switches and analogue gauges.

A year after release, the game received a really nice update, adding the TNG Enterprise as well as a new console: Operations, which basically replaces engineering but allows you to move people around as well. In addition a couple of new free-play modes with some procedural missions were introduced.

This is going to be a co-op for-funsies LP. There are only 5 scripted missions, though the random generator can come up with some very entertaining stuff. I'll be playing through all of the original missions, then try to do a few special videos showing off the Classic and TNG Enterprises. As a finale we may try to do the Borg mission which I'm told is quite challenging. I can only fit 3 people in per recording session, so I'm pretty much just going to grab whoever's available on a first-come basis on the day of. If you'd like to get in on this, jump into this Discord around recording time and I will happily throw you a spot, assuming we aren't full.

:siren:
Discord Link: https://discord.gg/4WKMYkt
Recording Time: 7pm CST on Saturdays
Next Recording Session: -There isn't one! It's over! Go home!-
:siren:

Surprisingly, no! They updated it so you can play it with M+KB though I will say you lose a lot in the experience.

Still, if you'd like to participate and you have a mic + a copy of the game, jump right in!

A Taste Of Armageddon
(Sars) In which our intrepid captain tests his recording software, melts half of his ship, and pets an invisible dog

The Doomsday Machine
(Sars, Squidget, Scruffpuff) In which our crew learns that Klingons can turn up just about anywhere

The Cyberpunk On The Edge Of Forever
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In which our crew learns how to summon the warp energies through interpretive dance

Amok Time
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In which our crew gets it together, fights some klingons, pets some bridge pups, and saves the day

The Hunt For Red Mok'bara
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) Heading into the end game now- our crew conducts a stealth mission to learn the reason behind the Klingon presence in the Trench.

Captain's Battlejuice
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In our last episode we discovered... Klingons! Up to no good! Now with the knowledge of their perfidy secured in our brainmeats, the ship and crew must escape a series of patrols that appear in increasingly unlikely positions. Will the ship make it out with more than 10% hull this time? Will the crew ever get to use their margarita machine? The answers to these questions and more in this penultimate episode of Let's Play Bridge Crew!

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In our last episode the ship barely escaped a pursuing Klingon armada. Now the tables have turned, and our intrepid crew rides into battle, bridge puppies and margaritas in tow. Join us once more, for this final campaign episode of Let's Play Bridge Crew!

(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) A short mission using the original series bridge. It goes... poorly.

Random Extras:

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Man I wanted to try this out so bad, but it’s kinda expensive. Would love to bring my robot voice gimmick in on this though

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm in - been wanting to screw around with this again since my other buddies bailed. My Ubisoft tag is on the Discord.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BurtLington posted:

Man I wanted to try this out so bad, but it’s kinda expensive. Would love to bring my robot voice gimmick in on this though

Yeah it is surprisingly expensive at the moment, but the good news is that it goes on sale pretty much every other month so there'll be an opportunity to pick it up soon if you're interested

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would love to play, but unfortunately I have no VR gear. Maybe in the future!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

chitoryu12 posted:

I would love to play, but unfortunately I have no VR gear. Maybe in the future!

It is entirely playable without VR, as long as you have a mic! I wouldn't really recommend it at the full price though, it's a very limited game.

Really wish they'd released a mission editor or something for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I hope the invisible bridge dog only the captain can interact with will be a recurring element of this new Star Trek show.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I never saw the Operations console - does that make the game 5 player now?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

I never saw the Operations console - does that make the game 5 player now?

I believe it just replaces the engineering console? The idea being that engineering wasn't active enough in most situations, I guess. I have been holding off on purchasing the TNG xpac but I suppose I should take that plunge and check it out, the TNG Enterprise is definitely my favorite.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I believe it just replaces the engineering console? The idea being that engineering wasn't active enough in most situations, I guess. I have been holding off on purchasing the TNG xpac but I suppose I should take that plunge and check it out, the TNG Enterprise is definitely my favorite.

I didn't know it was a purchase - I just have the basic pack. I agree though - engineering either had far too much to do 10% of the time, or nothing to do 90% of the time. That's why I liked it - it allowed me to look busier than I actually was, and if someone saw how busy during the 10%, I used it to justify the other 90%. "Trust me, you guys don't wanna be back here. *sips gin and tonic*"

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 2, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Update- 1 hour to recording time, I'm on Discord now. Looks like we've got 1 confirmed and possibly a 2nd? Still a position open if anyone sees this and would like to jump in before 7.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thanks for turning out! Had a blast with the first recording. I'll do some editing and get it up ASAP.

Next recording session will be 3/9 @7CST, hop on over to the discord beforehand and we'll get you in.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Just FYI for anyone looking to get in on this, the game is currently 70% off through humble bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/star-trek-bridge-crew

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The game is still just 12 bucks at Humble Bundle for another couple of days, and the next recording session is tomorrow at 7CST. Come on in!
(vid quality will improve in a few minutes as YT processes)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Would you say that your job is to repeat the darn computer tablet?

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Bought this during the humble bundle sale to follow along but I haven't had a change to play it yet. The game reminds me a lot of the Starfleet Academy SNES game.

How playable is the game in single player and without VR? From the video it seems like it would be rather hectic to have to man all stations directly or is it best to do it all from the captain's station with more limited controls?

Good first episode. Hope we see the return of the invisible bridge dog.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zeond posted:

Bought this during the humble bundle sale to follow along but I haven't had a change to play it yet. The game reminds me a lot of the Starfleet Academy SNES game.

How playable is the game in single player and without VR? From the video it seems like it would be rather hectic to have to man all stations directly or is it best to do it all from the captain's station with more limited controls?

Good first episode. Hope we see the return of the invisible bridge dog.

I've only played it for an hour or so without VR, but I can attest that single player is not terrible. If anything the NPC's manning the stations are going to be substantially better than your average brand-newbie, and only really pale in comparison to somebody who has been doing it long enough to learn the little tricks. The main thing a player crew brings is inter-station communication, i.e. the engineer and tactical working to coordinate phaser overloads. I've done all (6) of the story missions and a couple rando's as single player without huge issues but it doesn't really capture the full experience.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Would you say that your job is to repeat the darn computer tablet?

As the captain my job is to never give up, never surrender (the captain's chair)

---

We didn't get any takers for this weekend's recording session, so I put it off a little in the hopes that somebody will come available later in the week- if you have a free time slot after, let's say 6CST and would like to get in on mission 2, let me know!

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Sarsapariller posted:

I've only played it for an hour or so without VR, but I can attest that single player is not terrible. If anything the NPC's manning the stations are going to be substantially better than your average brand-newbie, and only really pale in comparison to somebody who has been doing it long enough to learn the little tricks. The main thing a player crew brings is inter-station communication, i.e. the engineer and tactical working to coordinate phaser overloads. I've done all (6) of the story missions and a couple rando's as single player without huge issues but it doesn't really capture the full experience.

Just found a couple of hours to play and found that the game works quite well with an xbox controller. Each tumbstick controls a vr hand and the triggers replace the touch action. The game is definitely designed with VR in mind as the angled screens can be a bit hard to read on a flat monitor but it was quite playable. Only rescued about half of the people compared to Sarsa and crew but that was mostly because I forgot to arm torpedoes and the Klingons blew up the maru rather quickly. Pretty fun overall.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Will you be showing off the Enterprise for a mission?

That is, the ORIGINAL. Not the TNG

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 11, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Veloxyll posted:

Will you be showing off the Enterprise for a mission?

That is, the ORIGINAL. Not the TNG

Yes absolutely. They didn't do any scripted missions for it but there are a bunch of randomly-rolled mission types. I'll do a couple of missions on the classic bridge and probably a couple on the TNG bridge as well. The classic bridge is hilariously analog and I personally find it extremely difficult to use so it should be a fun watch.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm on board for the thread, at least, and I've got the game wishlisted. If it goes on sale before you're done with the LP, I'd be happy to join you.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
it should be noted that also anyone with a PS4 and (optionally a) PSVR can also join as this is a cross system game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thanks everybody who showed up on extremely short notice last night! Two episodes in the can, I will get one edited and posted this evening hopefully.

Meanwhile over on reddit, there's a bit of a revival going on:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Cyberpunk On The Edge Of Forever
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In which our crew learns how to summon the warp energies through interpretive dance

We also captured the mission for Episode 3, which I will be posting in the next day or so. I went without text on this one- I'm still experimenting with format, this seemed a little more natural (and I didn't need to do any footwork due to echoing or absent microphones, hooray).

Next recording session is tentatively this Saturday night at 7CST- hope to see you there!

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 20, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Amok Time
(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) In which our crew gets it together, fights some klingons, pets some bridge pups, and saves the day

Next recording session is Saturday 3/30 @ 7CST- see you there!

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

Amok Time

Next recording session is Saturday 3/30 @ 7CST- see you there!

While simple, the game is actually really fun with goons. Our post recording session on the TOS analog button nightmare was some of the most fun I've had in this game even though we failed the mission both times.

You're definitely a much better captain than I was.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zeond posted:

While simple, the game is actually really fun with goons. Our post recording session on the TOS analog button nightmare was some of the most fun I've had in this game even though we failed the mission both times.

You're definitely a much better captain than I was.

It's a simple core that is vastly improved by being a social experience. I want so much for this to be the 4 player party mode of a much more expansive MMO but I can only dream.

Thank you! Everyone's learning very quickly. I used to raid lead in WoW for many years. Maybe that unconscious habit of telling everyone what to do has finally become an asset instead of a liability!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't believe the bridge is haunted by the invisible ghosts of bridge pups past.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You know, ain't no rule says a dog can't captain a ship.

Just sayin'.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You know, ain't no rule says a dog can't captain a ship.

Just sayin'.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 24, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
RIP Unicorn Pupper. Too Good/Evil Transporter Accident for this world.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) A short mission using the original series bridge. It goes... poorly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sarsapariller posted:

It's a simple core that is vastly improved by being a social experience. I want so much for this to be the 4 player party mode of a much more expansive MMO but I can only dream.

Thank you! Everyone's learning very quickly. I used to raid lead in WoW for many years. Maybe that unconscious habit of telling everyone what to do has finally become an asset instead of a liability!

I mean, I'd also love Bridge Commander mission pack for this game.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

That was a fun failure. I played a couple of other rescue missions and, counter-intuitively, the escape pods are optional and you fail the mission if you don't rescue the people from the station. Must be punishing them for abandoning ship early.

Compared to the Aegis, the TOS enterprise really limits the amount of information you have to work with. In tactical you only have the map in the centre console to figure out what you're targeting but its name and whether it has been scanned or not doesn't show up on your console. Instead the info shows up on a panel on the bridge wall some 120 degrees to the right and only the captain can get details on the target. I don't think the tactical console even tells me how many torpedoes I have left.

The helm console is nothing but row after row of buttons, most of which are purely cosmetic, and engineering isn't any better but at least its buttons are grouped by function. As I said on the discord, the analog button nightmare is playable but only thanks to the button overlay and it's significantly more difficult than the standard ship.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zeond posted:

That was a fun failure. I played a couple of other rescue missions and, counter-intuitively, the escape pods are optional and you fail the mission if you don't rescue the people from the station. Must be punishing them for abandoning ship early.

Compared to the Aegis, the TOS enterprise really limits the amount of information you have to work with. In tactical you only have the map in the centre console to figure out what you're targeting but its name and whether it has been scanned or not doesn't show up on your console. Instead the info shows up on a panel on the bridge wall some 120 degrees to the right and only the captain can get details on the target. I don't think the tactical console even tells me how many torpedoes I have left.

The helm console is nothing but row after row of buttons, most of which are purely cosmetic, and engineering isn't any better but at least its buttons are grouped by function. As I said on the discord, the analog button nightmare is playable but only thanks to the button overlay and it's significantly more difficult than the standard ship.

And the ship is both slower, and lacks the intrusion system so combat is a lot harder.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Does it have facilities for bridge dogs?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Loxbourne posted:

Does it have facilities for bridge dogs?

No, dogs were not granted enlisted status until the JJverse came along

Zeond posted:

I feel like waaay too many of the missions require combat, teleportation, and some kind of time pressure simultaneously

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just got this in a sale and man i'd like to join in with some goons on this.
Sadly i'm in europe so the time difference kinda fucks me!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I wouldn't mind trying out the new expansion ship, I haven't really seen it yet. TOS Enterprise was a nightmare of toggles and LEDs that I never got my head around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Shai-Hulud posted:

I just got this in a sale and man i'd like to join in with some goons on this.
Sadly i'm in europe so the time difference kinda fucks me!

Join the discord link in the OP, you can probably find someone to work around your schedule