Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Rad Valtar posted:

Hi thread I am new to watching MLS and have no local team to root for and no nothing about the different teams so I’m looking for opinions on who to root for. The Fire and Crew are the two closest teams so I thought one of them.

If you have strong thoughts about Jimmy Haslam, root for the Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rad Valtar posted:

Hi thread I am new to watching MLS and have no local team to root for and no nothing about the different teams so I’m looking for opinions on who to root for. The Fire and Crew are the two closest teams so I thought one of them.

Those are bad teams that play unattractive soccer. Pick a team that has a good fan base and plays compelling football

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Those are bad teams that play unattractive soccer. Pick a team that has a good fan base and plays compelling football

empty quote

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I mean if you're close enough to either one to hit periodic games, choose that one. Not only is that fun, it's nice to sit in bars in the surrounding cities and gripe about the team with other people who are invested.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Go to a game. If the magic takes you, you’ve found your team, and you get to be annoyed by them for the rest of your life in all the best ways.

Pick Columbus though. They’re a special piece of American soccer history.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I am to far away to really go to a game anytime soon, I really enjoyed watching LAFC the other night maybe I will go for them.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

if you can't goto games you probably want a team on national tv a lot and well, LAFC is that. That is unless you only want to stream, then you should do the opposite probably.

Most national TV games in MLS this season

Atlanta 17
LAFC 16
LA Galaxy 15
Portland 14
D.C. United 13

Speaking of TV, this is interesting

https://twitter.com/byIanThomas/status/1102594893036294144

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

G-Hawk posted:

if you can't goto games you probably want a team on national tv a lot and well, LAFC is that. That is unless you only want to stream, then you should do the opposite probably.

Most national TV games in MLS this season

Atlanta 17
LAFC 16
LA Galaxy 15
Portland 14
D.C. United 13

Speaking of TV, this is interesting

https://twitter.com/byIanThomas/status/1102594893036294144

Boooo. NYRB’s partnership with MSG is basically ideal. I don’t want to have to go get another drat streaming package.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I am to far away to really go to a game anytime soon, I really enjoyed watching LAFC the other night maybe I will go for them.

LAFC will probably be a very fun team to watch this year. I still think you should support your local team, but at least you'll see a lot of LAFC on TV.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jovial Cow posted:

Boooo. NYRB’s partnership with MSG is basically ideal. I don’t want to have to go get another drat streaming package.

I was thinking the same; having the Revs on the local NBC Sports affiliate is nice. Especially since they are on TV approximately .5 times a year.

For those of you considering ESPN+, it is actually really good. I was annoyed when they picked up Serie A at first, but the amount of content is really great and the app runs flawlessly on all my stupid devices. It's the one streaming service I actually recommend to people.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

Yeah that would really loving suck.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

binge crotching posted:

LAFC will probably be a very fun team to watch this year. I still think you should support your local team, but at least you'll see a lot of LAFC on TV.

The closest team to me is 6 hours drive and not even in the same state so local would be used loosely.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Seconding the ESPN + endorsement in here. If you actually care to watch out of market games for teams that aren't your own it's pretty great. I use it mostly for MMA and it's been great so far at that as well. To the point that I wish the UFC would just eliminate their dog poo poo streaming service and put everything on ESPN+.

The 2022 tv rights thing I find interesting.

Galaxy have a TV deal with Spectrum Sportsnet that pretty much blacks out every game that isn't nationally televised and I would love to have somewhere else to watch the away games other than their godawful web app.

binge crotching posted:

I'm a Galaxy fan, but that last minute Diomande goal to win it from last night's game was pretty much the definition of fun, unless you're an SKC supporter of course.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Rad Valtar posted:

Just wait 10 minutes and you'll have a local team.

Edit: Also, you're a new fan. Why not the new team, FC Cincinnati WKRP FC?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I liked watching away games over the air for free 😞

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

threeagainstfour posted:

Seconding the ESPN + endorsement in here. If you actually care to watch out of market games for teams that aren't your own it's pretty great. I use it mostly for MMA and it's been great so far at that as well. To the point that I wish the UFC would just eliminate their dog poo poo streaming service and put everything on ESPN+.

The 2022 tv rights thing I find interesting.

Galaxy have a TV deal with Spectrum Sportsnet that pretty much blacks out every game that isn't nationally televised and I would love to have somewhere else to watch the away games other than their godawful web app.

I'm a Galaxy fan, but that last minute Diomande goal to win it from last night's game was pretty much the definition of fun, unless you're an SKC supporter of course.

Yeah that game was really entertaining, SKC should maybe slow down on the fouling. I’m also digging the black and gold look that LAFC have going. Also I have ESPN+ and it’s a steal for $5, all of the soccer and extras like 30 for 30 are real nice.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

My opinion is that supporting LAFC, Galaxy or NYCFC or Atlanta is dumb as hell, San Jose is a comedy option (don't you dare) and any Cascadia teams are absurd to plastic for because you'll catch hell and tbh there's no reason to support them unless you have local ties.

So really what I'm saying is go for Columbus because they need all the support they can get.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

threeagainstfour posted:

I probably get more actual value for my ESPN+ sub than Netflix, Hulu, and Prime combined. (probably)

I know at some point it probably goes up to $9.99 and I will be sad, but I will still probably sub for MLS, FA Cup, and College Basketball.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Rad Valtar posted:

The closest team to me is 6 hours drive and not even in the same state so local would be used loosely.

You probably have a USL team closer, you should look into it. All USL games are on ESPN+ as well

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Chicago could turn out to play fun, attractive soccer this year. Frankowski and Mihailovic were dicing up the Galaxy all game. You can't count Schweinsteiger out and when Nikolić comes back, they could be a pretty good team.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wild guess: MLS introduces pro/rel for 2022.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Edward Mass posted:

Is this based on anything other than wishful thinking?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

That will never happen. Do you really think American millionaires would buy MLS clubs without a guarantee of national play?

Unrealistic example that still makes a point: Would a Jerry Jones be happy buying FCD if they could wind up playing in the USL next season to 18,000 empty seats every game (as opposed to 12,000 empty seats now)? Would June Soccermom take her precious babies to watch the Chicago Fire take on Swope Park Rangers?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Just watch some games and you'll find a team. You'll probably start liking a player for some dumb reason or find some drama intriguing and before you know it you'll have some dumb scarves in your closet, strong opinions on the name "real salt lake", and a strong emotional reaction to the phrase "soccer don"

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Still kind of shocked Vermes used the same starting 11 yesterday that he used in the CCL. Gutierrez was dead by halftime, Fontas left injured with a hip pointer, and everyone else was struggling for the last 20 minutes. And then Dio's goal went in and I about dropped my beer.

I sort of get that LAFC is probably the toughest opponent when compared to Phili and Independiente, but jesus, dude. You can rest a couple players.

Rad Valtar posted:

Yeah that game was really entertaining, SKC should maybe slow down on the fouling.

Gotta get that yellow card club record.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Just watch some games and you'll find a team. You'll probably start liking a player for some dumb reason or find some drama intriguing and before you know it you'll have some dumb scarves in your closet, strong opinions on the name "real salt lake", and a strong emotional reaction to the phrase "soccer don"

This is the right answer to any "pick a team" question. If you can watch them in person, do that. If you can watch them on a screen, do that. But watch, and see who you fall for and how they will hurt you (because they will hurt you.)

the escape goat posted:

My opinion is that supporting LAFC, Galaxy or NYCFC or Atlanta is dumb as hell, San Jose is a comedy option (don't you dare) and any Cascadia teams are absurd to plastic for because you'll catch hell and tbh there's no reason to support them unless you have local ties.

If you must plastic a Cascadia team, pick Vancouver because who couldn't use an invisibility cloak?

(this is not the reason I did, nobody cares about the reason I did, but it's been a fun side benefit)

Nothing against jumping on any of those bandwagons but yeah you'll probably catch hell for it, it's like a new NFL fan rooting for the Patriots.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

XBenedict posted:

That will never happen. Do you really think American millionaires would buy MLS clubs without a guarantee of national play?

Unrealistic example that still makes a point: Would a Jerry Jones be happy buying FCD if they could wind up playing in the USL next season to 18,000 empty seats every game (as opposed to 12,000 empty seats now)? Would June Soccermom take her precious babies to watch the Chicago Fire take on Swope Park Rangers?

Counterpoint: buying a lower level cheap team, investing a lot of money on quality players and earning promotion and then selling the team for a massive profit seems like it would be the American dream. Instead we have the American system of entrenched mediocrity with no danger to disrupt the structure (looking at you new england)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

it's like a new NFL fan rooting for the Patriots.

goddamn, that's brutal.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Root for DC but only cheer for Bill Hamid, that’ll score you points

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hoover Dam posted:

Episode aired in October, taped in August (specifically, my birthday). I had to spend two months sitting on the following jokes:

[after missing daily double]
Wondo, call me, we should talk

[after coming in second]
Following the proud New England tradition of being runner-up in LA
Taylor, what's the best way to display 2nd place medals?

Banc of California Stadium is pretty nice, reminds me a lot of Kobe Wing Stadium, probably should've had more vegetarian concessions, is definitely superior to Gillette in terms of serving Coca-Cola, and the best part was getting a free parking space directly across the street because nobody was paying attention.

Aha, I was working nights then. As Alex likes to say, boo hiss. :v:

And speaking of boo hiss, I'm happy with getting Rapids games on Altitude right now, they even replay some when they have some dead time to burn.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 5, 2019

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

threeagainstfour posted:

Seconding the ESPN + endorsement in here. If you actually care to watch out of market games for teams that aren't your own it's pretty great.

I'm gonna disagree heavily. Anytime I want to watch my team and I'm in an entirely different timezone, it takes 24 hours for the game to be available. And archives of old historic matches of interest are basically lost forever.

It's a poo poo system that pales in comparison with the other "major" leagues, and it is terrible at fostering any sense of club or league history.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

porkface posted:

I'm gonna disagree heavily. Anytime I want to watch my team and I'm in an entirely different timezone, it takes 24 hours for the game to be available. And archives of old historic matches of interest are basically lost forever.

It's a poo poo system that pales in comparison with the other "major" leagues, and it is terrible at fostering any sense of club or league history.

what? I have no idea what you're talking about with the 24 hours thing. Everything is available live? I couldn't care less about archives, but thats a valid enough complaint.

Its easily the best sports streaming service i've had, and i've had most of them at some time or another. Especially If you happen to like both MLS and UFC, its a steal.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

what? I have no idea what you're talking about with the 24 hours thing. Everything is available live?

I think he's talking about blacked out matches that don't show in the replay queue until the next day.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

XBenedict posted:

I think he's talking about blacked out matches that don't show in the replay queue until the next day.

oh, i didn't even know blacked out matches ever became available. But i exclusively watch matches live, and would just watch in market or national games on tv.

I guess if you want to watch in market games or games after the fact, its not great. If you want to watch out of market games live, which for me is the entire point, its the best streaming service I've had.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Been a great week for Nazis in MLS

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Been a great week for Nazis in MLS

Dare I ask?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Don Garber has a @Jack type of approach to Nazis.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

highme posted:

Say no more. :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:capitalism: for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

highme posted:

Protector of the shield.

It's really dumb because by all accounts it's just a couple of people and all the NYCFC supporter leaders know who these individuals are. It's in the fan conduct part of the tickets that fans can be removed if their social media is objectionable, so it's really that Garber would rather hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, rather than just doing something about it.