Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gaearin posted:

Yeah, so it's time for this game to do that thing that every visual novel or JRPG with a gamer character does. The gamer character makes a bunch of really general references to typical game mechanics while all the other characters act like the gamer speaking in a foreign language. Because apparently normal people have never played a video game in their entire lives. It's a trope I hate.

I mean, it's pretty accurate? I imagine most people would understand an analogy that involves "getting to the next level," or grabbing a powerup, but these weirdly specific examples are quite likely to be met with confusion. Of course most people haven't played an RPG, like 60-70% of people don't even read books. Like, ever. I can guarantee you that, of course, the number is higher if I surveyed everyone I know, but I tend to surround myself with similar interests, but I can also guarantee that a random survey would not turn up many people familiar with, say, selling back-line character's equipment to afford equipment for the frontliners, or somesuch.

Gaearin posted:

Yeah, that's true. My issue is with localization as a whole because of that. The translators often lack all of the proper context for what it is they're meant to be translating, which leads to problems like this.

This actually isn't true as of like fifteen years ago, or at least ten. Or, well, I'm sure it's common with low-priority niche titles like this, but the localizations done by any titles of moderate-size/importance usually involve copies of the game and a line to the developers for questions. Used to be just the Big Boys, but it's become quite common. They stopped doing the bare-script model because it turned out stuff that was usually okay, but often had some glaring flaws if you were familiar with the original source. (They used to do a similar thing with voice acting, where you'd just get literally a list of your lines devoid of context. It's why if you play, say, Neverwinter Nights 2, it's usually pretty good, but some voice lines have entirely hosed-up delivery or tone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU