Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - Haruka

Main story time, at long last. Finally get to properly meet that little girl from earlier, Haruka. Already taken a like to her, especially after she took care of that dog. I don't buy for a second that her family situation is as simple as the game's presenting to us. I think she's either Yumi's child, or if she actually is Yumi's niece, then Nishi is the father. What I'm not sure of is what's inside that locket worth ten billion yen. All I can guess is there's some sort of secret in there the Tojo Clan would say is worth ten billion, or something in that regard. In the case of the Extreme HEAT Actions, is it really just those three no matter who it's done to? I was thinking it'd be different for each opponent it's done to for whatever reason. If there's really just the three, it makes me feel less bad for not getting them all sooner, because at least I didn't miss out on some sort of unique finishers. Also really loved the scene with Majima in the baseball area. That beating to death or near death of that one subordinate for not laughing really shows how Majima's morals have changed. It was arguably even better in the dub. Hearing Mark Hamill go "Laugh, you stupid motherfucka!" in an almost Joker voice is a beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I like Hayashi and his lanky rear end appearance. Too bad he only appears in that scene. The english version of Hayashi really show us why Yakuza 1 dub is bad. This is his line before the start of his boss battle.

English!Hayashi: "Go! Kill this arrogant mo ther fuc ker!" (Weird pauses included)

The Extreme HEAT Action's animation are tied specifically to the style you use. If you want boss specific HEAT Action, play Yakuza 2. In that game, once you get the boss' health low enough, you can get them to Feel the HEAT.

Majima's cutscene in the batting cage show us the downside of having the cutscenes be 1:1 adaptation of the original. Story Majima is very different from Everywhere Majima. Story Majima is a complete psycho while Everywhere Majima is a walking goofball.

Since you unlocked the colloseum, you should try participating there. It'll be worth your time

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I prefer to think of Story Majima as the mask Majima puts on to make Shimano happy and keep him in the dark. Everywhere Majima is the real one and Kiryu knows it. This makes their relationship in later games make more sense.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I like Hayashi and his lanky rear end appearance. Too bad he only appears in that scene. The english version of Hayashi really show us why Yakuza 1 dub is bad. This is his line before the start of his boss battle.

English!Hayashi: "Go! Kill this arrogant mo ther fuc ker!" (Weird pauses included)

The Extreme HEAT Action's animation are tied specifically to the style you use. If you want boss specific HEAT Action, play Yakuza 2. In that game, once you get the boss' health low enough, you can get them to Feel the HEAT.

Majima's cutscene in the batting cage show us the downside of having the cutscenes be 1:1 adaptation of the original. Story Majima is very different from Everywhere Majima. Story Majima is a complete psycho while Everywhere Majima is a walking goofball.

Since you unlocked the colloseum, you should try participating there. It'll be worth your time
I actually kind of remember seeing that Hayashi line getting made fun of in the past, thinking about it. Dubs being forced to have weird pauses to keep the lip syncing intact is always humorous.

I'll assume it carries over to the Kiwami version as well?

Personally, I don't mind it since it kind of fits into the mold of the vague, fictionalized madness that Majima has. General kookiness, massive moodswings, unpredictability. That sort of poo poo. Also both versions of Majima are a hoot so that's just a bonus for me.

Alright, I'll take a look sometime during my next bout of substories.

achtungnight posted:

I prefer to think of Story Majima as the mask Majima puts on to make Shimano happy and keep him in the dark. Everywhere Majima is the real one and Kiryu knows it. This makes their relationship in later games make more sense.
Even with what I said earlier, this is also a good take, though I'll have to see the later games thing for myself down the road.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - The Dragon and the Koi

Finally, Kiryu and Nishi meet up after all this time. I actually thought for a minute there'd be a full-on battle between the two, though I suppose that'd make the inevitable clash between them at the game's end a lot less meaningful. I will say I don't like how, so far, a off-hand remark from Kashiwagi and a talk from Shimano of all people seems to be causing Nishi to turn on his best friend and sworn brother. Though I guess with all the pressure and hardships he's going through, he's not in a good enough mental state to ward off feelings of jealousy and growing contempt towards Kiryu. The Date chapter was a bit odd, since so far it's had no real bearing on the story and seemed like an overly long substory instead, though I'm assuming it will be more important later. The gambling part was weird too, especially since this was because Kiryu wanted to go cheer Haruka up. Speaking of Haruka, she sure does just brush off literally everything that happens to her. Like yeah I know it'd be annoying if she had to come down from the shock after every traumatic event happening to her, but she didn't even tear up after being grazed by a bullet. poo poo's weird.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Haruka is by far one of the emotionally strongest people in the series. No matter how much poo poo happens to her, she keeps on being happy with her life.

Nishiki- I think a large part of why he went bad is he lost his emotional support anchor- Kiryu. If he had his buddy around to shore him up and blow off steam with, not to mention dispel all the accusations, things would be different. But Nishiki, for all his posturing, does not have a strong enough persona to stand up for himself when he is first made a Yakuza boss. And as such things often go, when he develops one, it's in a bad way. As for Kiryu, well, obviously things have changed so much in the lost ten years that they can never be friends again. And the man Nishiki is now only has two slots for people- those he can control and those he must put down on his rise to the top.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
As much as I hate Shimano for being a straight up stereotypical villain, he does have a point in his talk with Nishiki. Kazama was being a dick to Nishiki.

Kazama: "I couldn't stop [Nishiki] from becoming a cold blooded monster." (I'm using his line from the dub because it's more memorable in my opinion)

Also Kazama: *Gives Nishiki thugs like Matsushige. Leaving Nishiki to suffer.*

I think Kazama wanted Nishiki to get out from the Yakuza and it's obvious Kiryu is his favorite.

Chapter 6 is a complete filler. But it does tell the story about the relationship between father and child well.

I hate the story fights in this game, especially the boss battles. They always backed up by their mooks that loves to gang on you. If you try to thin out the mooks, the boss will get in your face to prevent that. It's not fun. I especially hated the cho-han parlor brawl. A dozen opponents + 2 minibosses that swarms you in a cramped arena? Yeah.

Bullets and stab wounds always crumples you, which sucks since Yakuza 1 isn't built to handle that mechanic. Fortunately, there's this accessory called Bulletproof Glass Amulet that simply causes bullets to only knock you down.

Why are you unwilling to use Tauriner anyway in case of boss with Kiwami Regeneration? Staminan Royale and Spark are much more expensive than Tauriner and Staminan Spark is especially rare.

You should do Komaki Training as soon as you can. One of the early training requires Majima to be active. The main prize, the Tiger Drop is really wonderful. With the press of R1+Triangle, even the strongest boss will fall easily should you get the timing right. It's so incredibly overpowered.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Haruka is by far one of the emotionally strongest people in the series. No matter how much poo poo happens to her, she keeps on being happy with her life.

Nishiki- I think a large part of why he went bad is he lost his emotional support anchor- Kiryu. If he had his buddy around to shore him up and blow off steam with, not to mention dispel all the accusations, things would be different. But Nishiki, for all his posturing, does not have a strong enough persona to stand up for himself when he is first made a Yakuza boss. And as such things often go, when he develops one, it's in a bad way. As for Kiryu, well, obviously things have changed so much in the lost ten years that they can never be friends again. And the man Nishiki is now only has two slots for people- those he can control and those he must put down on his rise to the top.
It's a little uncanny. At least wince a bit after being grazed by a bullet, even Kiryu does that much.

Defenitely agree about the Kiryu thing. Though the rear end in a top hat could've visited him in jail, maybe. No one seems to have done that aside from Shinji that one time. One thing I also noticed is Kazama hasn't been seen with Nishi at all in these flashbacks. Makes me wonder how much personal support, if any, he's getting from what's essentially his father.

As much as I hate Shimano for being a straight up stereotypical villain, he does have a point in his talk with Nishiki. Kazama was being a dick to Nishiki.

Kazama: "I couldn't stop [Nishiki] from becoming a cold blooded monster." (I'm using his line from the dub because it's more memorable in my opinion)

Also Kazama: *Gives Nishiki thugs like Matsushige. Leaving Nishiki to suffer.*

I think Kazama wanted Nishiki to get out from the Yakuza and it's obvious Kiryu is his favorite.

Chapter 6 is a complete filler. But it does tell the story about the relationship between father and child well.

I hate the story fights in this game, especially the boss battles. They always backed up by their mooks that loves to gang on you. If you try to thin out the mooks, the boss will get in your face to prevent that. It's not fun. I especially hated the cho-han parlor brawl. A dozen opponents + 2 minibosses that swarms you in a cramped arena? Yeah.

Why are you unwilling to use Tauriner anyway in case of boss with Kiwami Regeneration? Staminan Royale and Spark are much more expensive than Tauriner and Staminan Spark is especially rare.

You should do Komaki Training as soon as you can. One of the early training requires Majima to be active. The main prize, the Tiger Drop is really wonderful. With the press of R1+Triangle, even the strongest boss will fall easily should you get the timing right. It's so incredibly overpowered.
Sure, Shimano is right. It's just the fact that Nishi listened to him of all people in the first place that made me role my eyes. Though, as I said before, Nishi was in a mentally weak state at the time so I can look past it.

It was pretty heartwarming for sure, it just seemed so out of place because there was pretty much no filler at all in Yakuza 0 aside from taking two little breaks from the main story to set up the businesses. Also kind of funny how that pipsqueak pretty boy host was apparently stronger than the loansharks and pushed them around.

Certainly is a pain. On the other hand, makes Kiryu seem so much more badass when he casually walks away from an entire back lot full of defeated mooks than just the one. All worth it in the end.

Oh, is it more rare? drat, I had things backwards. I try not to use things that fill up health or HEAT entirely in one go, just in case I desperately need to later on. Thinking about it, I really should stock up on healing items in general in the next video.

Alright, will do. Looked up the wooden katana and I completely forgot the pawn shop sells weapons. Probably because 99% of the time I just go there to sell off some jewel or plate and then leave.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Komaki's Training

Very little story stuff in this episode, and yet Haruka gets kidnapped once more. This is the third time in like, a day she's been held hostage in some capacity. Kiryu needs to put one of those little tracking chips on her or something. Aside from that, literally all I did was Komaki stuff and fighting in The Coliseum. So glad I managed to find a way to bullshit through the fights since it seems none of the opponents are able to get out of a hold, no matter how strong they are. The weapons matches were awful though, but offscreen I at least found out the brass knuckles are way more powerful than I initially thought and managed to plow through the competition once I found out what to do. A number of nifty moves from Komaki, and that Tiger Drop move is so drat powerful it's crazy. All I need to do is work on getting the timing down. Now all I have to do is figure out who that Hannya-man dude was. It really bothers me we never figured out who he was.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get used to Haruka getting kidnapped. She is the resident damsel in peril for the Yakuza series. Believe me, you will feel for Kiryu by the fifth or sixth time it happens and he gets PISSED.

Whoever that Hanna-man was, he sure was handsome. His fighting style was pretty cool too.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Wew... You managed to complete all of Komaki's training in one part. Nothing can stop you anymore.

I find Kiwami Colloseum to be less interesting than 0 Colloseum. The opponents are less colorful (and the one that does, like Charon Martinez is a loving pain in the rear end). There's no killer bear in Kiwami Colloseum as well.

I loving hate Charon Martinez. That huge motherfucker can appear even in E Rank tournament eventhough his strength is on par with A-S Rank opponent. Anytime that loving wrestler appear, I'm forced to take a defeat. So I'm left grinding in Burning GP (The floor is lava) early on as there's no scrub motherfucker in that tournament before moving to Breakout GP as you can end the whole tournament in a minute flat in that tournament. Yakuza Kiwami tournament is such a loving bullshit of gently caress you!

You don't need to perfectly timed pressing the guard button to trigger instant guard. Just hold L1 as you're being comboed to instantly put up your guard and reduce damage taken. Also, get the Damage Weaving skill. It allows you to dodge out of enemy combo in Rush style. This is incredibly useful.

Despite the convoluted control scheme, Komaki Roundhouse is actually pretty easy to trigger. All it does is allowing you to change the direction of your attack in Brawler and Dragon light combo. It's as simple as that and yet the game fails to explain it.

Komaki Fist Reversal is great. It's a HEAT Action that counter enemy attack and have 4 variation depending on the direction of their attack: front, back, left, or right. That means its 4 HEAT Actions in 1 package.

I've heard from the Purgatory resident that should Hannya-Man defeat you, he will devour your soul. One resident of Purgatory happen to hear him muttering to himself in Kansai dialect. Who is the masked super villain? It's still a mystery.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Get used to Haruka getting kidnapped. She is the resident damsel in peril for the Yakuza series. Believe me, you will feel for Kiryu by the fifth or sixth time it happens and he gets PISSED.

Whoever that Hanna-man was, he sure was handsome. His fighting style was pretty cool too.
I had a feeling. Heck, I'm already feeling for Kiryu. He gets into enough fights without having to go save someone every few minutes.

Yeah, I just swear it seemed familiar in some way, I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'm just imaging things...

Wew... You managed to complete all of Komaki's training in one part. Nothing can stop you anymore.

I find Kiwami Colloseum to be less interesting than 0 Colloseum. The opponents are less colorful (and the one that does, like Charon Martinez is a loving pain in the rear end). There's no killer bear in Kiwami Colloseum as well.

I loving hate Charon Martinez. That huge motherfucker can appear even in E Rank tournament eventhough his strength is on par with A-S Rank opponent. Anytime that loving wrestler appear, I'm forced to take a defeat. So I'm left grinding in Burning GP (The floor is lava) early on as there's no scrub motherfucker in that tournament before moving to Breakout GP as you can end the whole tournament in a minute flat in that tournament. Yakuza Kiwami tournament is such a loving bullshit of gently caress you!

You don't need to perfectly timed pressing the guard button to trigger instant guard. Just hold L1 as you're being comboed to instantly put up your guard and reduce damage taken. Also, get the Damage Weaving skill. It allows you to dodge out of enemy combo in Rush style. This is incredibly useful.

Despite the convoluted control scheme, Komaki Roundhouse is actually pretty easy to trigger. All it does is allowing you to change the direction of your attack in Brawler and Dragon light combo. It's as simple as that and yet the game fails to explain it.

Komaki Fist Reversal is great. It's a HEAT Action that counter enemy attack and have 4 variation depending on the direction of their attack: front, back, left, or right. That means its 4 HEAT Actions in 1 package.

I've heard from the Purgatory resident that should Hannya-Man defeat you, he will devour your soul. One resident of Purgatory happen to hear him muttering to himself in Kansai dialect. Who is the masked super villain? It's still a mystery.
I'll assume that with Tiger Drop especially, I can start using Dragon Style regularly, even against story bosses. Still gonna unlock as much of the Dragon Style abilities as I possibly can, of course. Majima can't just go about not being beaten up, after all.

Is there anything in the final tournament that's unique to it worth showing off or should I just not bother?

For me, it's that rear end in a top hat with the gun that gives me the most trouble. I swear he only does that shooting thing from the ground half the time, so I never know when it's safe to taunt to build up my HEAT or run away. And when he does it, it does so much damage in a single attack. That, and Charon can be grab-spammed like everyone else, so while he was the hardest weapon-less opponent shown onscreen, I quickly got the hang of him. In terms of offscreen stuff, there was this Lucha Hawk guy I found much more annoying to fight.

Oh, oops. My bad. And I'll make sure to get that ability when I'm able.

Well poo poo, I thought Kiryu was gonna bull off some kind of spinning Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to knock all the opponents away or something. Hence the being ganged up aspect of the training.

I certainly love more HEAT Actions, it's always great when I stumble on a new one since so very many have been carried over from Yakuza 0. I did this one offscreen in Brawler Style where Kiryu just hops on his opponent and punches his face over and over and it was fun to do. Then another where Kiryu uses Brass Knuckles to punch at a sword-wielder's blade and then beat him down.

Definitely up there with the great Gaming Mysteries, like Bigfoot in San Andreas or that strange sign in Mario 64...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 23, 2019

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TheLoneStar posted:

I'll assume that with Tiger Drop especially, I can start using Dragon Style regularly, even against story bosses. Still gonna unlock as much of the Dragon Style abilities as I possibly can, of course. Majima can't just go about not being beaten up, after all.

A lot of the combat in Yakuza can be split into two, on one condition: pre-Tiger Drop and post-Tiger Drop. It is absolutely a game changer. It is incredibly strong. There's a counter move in the Brawler tree that is something like a shocking/electric counter? That's a weaker version of Tiger Drop. Less invulnerability, less damage, less knockback.

Absolutely keep on getting the Dragon done, Majima would expect nothing less of you. But yeah. You've found an easy key to the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - Pocket Circuit Fighter's Legacy

If I ever have to play Pocket Circuit Racing again, I may chop off my own hands to save myself from the torment. Exaggerations aside, still not fond of the minigame and just how much of it there is to do. A dozen cups/tournaments, at least two Majima races, and a separate substory to boot. While helping Pocket Circuit Fighter with his issues was nice since I've grown to like the guy, it wasn't worth all the trouble to complete the substory itself. Aside from that, not much went on in this video aside from two, not particularly noteworthy substories. I still stand by on what Date said about being a badass dad. You gotta actually have children to be a badass dad, that reporter lady has no idea what she's talking about. Majima went away faster than I expected him to, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to unlock more Dragon Style moves. Speaking of which, I don't quite have the Tiger Drop down yet. I know what I have to do, it's just I'm not too good at timing things like this. I was at least happy that I managed to pull it off several times in a row like that in this video. Right now it's my favorite non-HEAT attack in the series.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on completing the Pocket Circuit mess. I don't think it comes back in Kiwami 2, although Fighter does make a cameo in that and then is not seen again till Yakuza 6.

Bad news- Majima does challenge you at the Mezukene insect fights (am I spelling that right?). So with him resting, you may not be able to finish them just yet. Good luck with the other substories.

When you're ready to proceed with the main story, talk to people hanging out near the entrance to Purgatory. They'll point you at the scripted encounters with gang members you'll need to complete to proceed. First you'll need to take down the Blue Z gang, then the White Edge, and finally the Bloody Eye.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Congrats on completing the Pocket Circuit mess. I don't think it comes back in Kiwami 2, although Fighter does make a cameo in that and then is not seen again till Yakuza 6.

Bad news- Majima does challenge you at the Mezukene insect fights (am I spelling that right?). So with him resting, you may not be able to finish them just yet. Good luck with the other substories.

When you're ready to proceed with the main story, talk to people hanging out near the entrance to Purgatory. They'll point you at the scripted encounters with gang members you'll need to complete to proceed. First you'll need to take down the Blue Z gang, then the White Edge, and finally the Bloody Eye.
Thank God. I can rest easy and keep my hands...until Yakuza 6.

I already fought him in MesuKing, does he challenge me a second time like in Pocket Circuit Racing?

Good to know, thanks. Really should have thought to do that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think he does challenge you more than once at Mezukene, yes.

Yakuza 6 Spoilers- Fighter's appearance in Yakuza 6 is as a cameo and substory to resolve his subplots somewhat. There is no actual Pocket Circuit racing..

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wait, Fighter shows up again in K2?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cameo only. Check the clan roster for the Majima Construction clan battles. Another LPer I watch got him on there anyway.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - Japanese Lurch

Just some typical substory stuff for the most part, nothing much really stuck out to me for the most part. I will say I never expected to actually see The Florist's son or his lover again after their part in the main story was over. I didn't even understand what was going on in the substory at first because I never bothered to remember their names. I did, at least, finally finish that lengthy substory about passing on objects from person to person, only to get a watch with no clear effect, and not even a lot of experience to go with it. What a scam. I also decided to look up how to deal with that 2,000 yen substory and will finish that up next video. Turns out I just have to talk to a bunch of people, and I think one bill is even just lying on the ground. The highlight of this episode was that terrifying Shinohara fellow who I swear looks like Lurch from The Addams Family. I'll be seeing his face in my nightmares for years to come, of that I can assure you. Next episode should be just wrapping up these last few available substories and then I can finally start on actually looking for Haruka.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - The Rescue

Finally got off my rear end and decided to save Haruka. I wasn't expecting the Chinese mafia to play a role in this, and I'm still confused about the situation with Kiryu and Lau Ka Long. Something about passports? Either way, that one poor waiter at the start of Kiryu's assault. poo poo was just brutal, even for Kiryu. It was nice to go through another car chase scenario but with a controller, as this time I sucked slightly less than before when using a keyboard. I was surprised at Reina's betrayal, though I'll bet she's being forced into it. Seems out of her character to conspire against Kiryu willingly like that, but I guess we'll see. Nishi finally killing off that rear end in a top hat Yakuza member was all sorts of satisfying, and while over-the-top, I loved the detail that he slicked his hair back for the first time using that guy's blood. Of course, next video as soon as I'm able, I'm going to start doing more substories again. I decided to look it up, and it turns out Majima even comes back for good at this point so I can use this time to get all the abilities in all four wheels.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too loved it when Nishiki slicks his hair with the blood of his first murder (Dojima doesn't count since it was in defense of another person- Yumi). He didn't go in there intending to commit murder, it just kinda happened. This time...

I'm surprised you didn't comment more here on the various bosses in this video, especially the shotgun stripper. That was a shocker to me first time around. His substory and several others together form a B plot what should be a canon addition to the main story. It involves former Dojima family members going after Kiryu. You'll see the climax of it in a later substory involving perhaps the most awesome female character in the series (my opinion).

All religion is a scam if you choose to see it that way. It can also be uplifting. But that whole Munan Suzuki thing- yeah, it's a mess. Thank goodness they never get as dangerous as real life Japanese cult Aum Shinri Kyo was. (They attacked the Tokyo subway with sarin gas in the 90s, if you didn't know.) Expect to see them pop up again in a few future Yakuza games.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Reina's betrayal really felt like a hard turn after what had happened in Yakuza 0, yeah. Part of it can be chalked up to the difference in writing quality over the years. Rewriting problematic parts of the story can be a dicey proposition, especially for a series with this history.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

I too loved it when Nishiki slicks his hair with the blood of his first murder (Dojima doesn't count since it was in defense of another person- Yumi). He didn't go in there intending to commit murder, it just kinda happened. This time...

I'm surprised you didn't comment more here on the various bosses in this video, especially the shotgun stripper. That was a shocker to me first time around. His substory and several others together form a B plot what should be a canon addition to the main story. It involves former Dojima family members going after Kiryu. You'll see the climax of it in a later substory involving perhaps the most awesome female character in the series (my opinion).

All religion is a scam if you choose to see it that way. It can also be uplifting. But that whole Munan Suzuki thing- yeah, it's a mess. Thank goodness they never get as dangerous as real life Japanese cult Aum Shinri Kyo was. (They attacked the Tokyo subway with sarin gas in the 90s, if you didn't know.) Expect to see them pop up again in a few future Yakuza games.
I actually forgot for a minute that this wasn't Nishi's first kill, defense or otherwise. The game's loving gaslighting me into thinking Kiryu killed Dojima.

Oh yeah, I did huh? The Lau Ka Long fight was pretty cool, with his various weapons, but nothing else stood out to me. I mean by Yakuza standards, the shotgun stripper doesn't stand out too much, at least not to me. And it was weird how this substory had actual, HD cutscenes going along with it.

I did actually hear about the Aum Shinriyyo cult. The Happy Happyism cult in EarthBound was loosely based off of them, if I recall.

dscruffy1 posted:

Reina's betrayal really felt like a hard turn after what had happened in Yakuza 0, yeah. Part of it can be chalked up to the difference in writing quality over the years. Rewriting problematic parts of the story can be a dicey proposition, especially for a series with this history.
I'm going to assume that Nishi is forcing her to do things she doesn't want. I don't see her betraying Kiryu willingly.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Kyohei Jingu. Any Yakuza fan know about this guy because of how infamous he is.

I think you can safely switched back to normal if you want some challenges. Your maxed out health allows you to take decent amount of beating before needing a health recovery, and bosses will challenge you. If the bosses pushes you back, you can just say Eff it and Tiger Drop them. After all, your reflex with the Tiger Drop is pretty good (I mostly only able to do that against Majima).

Oh yeah, after the long absence of multi stage battle, now Chapter 9,10, and 11 all have a multi stage battle. The finale obviously have one as well.

Blooper: In the recording of Reina's betrayal, Date's head is already bandaged despite the recording takes place in Chapter 7 and Date got knocked by punks at Chapter 9.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kyohei Jingu. Any Yakuza fan know about this guy because of how infamous he is.

I think you can safely switched back to normal if you want some challenges. Your maxed out health allows you to take decent amount of beating before needing a health recovery, and bosses will challenge you. If the bosses pushes you back, you can just say Eff it and Tiger Drop them. After all, your reflex with the Tiger Drop is pretty good (I mostly only able to do that against Majima).

Oh yeah, after the long absence of multi stage battle, now Chapter 9,10, and 11 all have a multi stage battle. The finale obviously have one as well.

Blooper: In the recording of Reina's betrayal, Date's head is already bandaged despite the recording takes place in Chapter 7 and Date got knocked by punks at Chapter 9.
Well, can't wait to see what he's like, then.

Alright, will do. Actually did a bit of fighting between this latest video's recording and now, twice against Majima, and it really is surprising how much abuse I can take now. Of course, Majima can take just as much. Seems like anything short of a Tiger Drop does too little, but I know I'm just used to how much damage I do on easy mode.

I actually didn't even realize how absent those were until you said something. Shows how closely I'm paying attention to those sorts of things...

Didn't notice that blooper either. Tsk, tsk, Sega...

Part 14 - Majima, MesuKing, and Rina

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough MesuKing cards so I'm still one match and a Majima rematch away from putting the minigame behind me. As I said, it amused me at first, but the initial shock kind of wore off by the third or fourth match, especially since I picked one of the most fanservice-heavy fighters right near the start. Doesn't help a lot of it is luck and chance, which I've never been a fan of. I did find it funny how I literally won that one match by just picking the same attack over and over again. I'm sure there's some sort of general pattern each of the later fighters do, but gently caress me if I can remember the orders these kids pick their attacks. Majima of course continues to be a treat, especially since I accidentally predicted Taxi Driver Majima. (My idea for how it would've gone down was still better though.) Cabaret stuff is okay, but it's still not too terribly interesting overall. I looked a bit into it, and from what I understand, the meter will fill up to the next level every time I talk to one of them, so no risk at repeating whole conversations. In that case, I'll show off the entirety of the budding friendships before the substories of each girl. Rina herself is kind of obnoxious so far, and I guess I'm able to change outfits? I thought that was a post-game thing, but in the end it doesn't really effect me progressing in her little storyline so far, so whatever.

And kind of funny, Beast Style was my go-to in Yakuza 0 and I shunned the other Styles, but I think it may be the one I've used the least in this game, and it's definitely been overshadowed by Dragon Style in my eyes, especially now that I have Tiger Drop.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There are some accessories that give you a bonus to Hostess interaction if you have them equipped. Charisma Ring, Manly Cologne, Dragon Shirt, etc. The negative comments the Hostess makes about your outfit at the beginning of the conversations you have with her are in reference to your lack of such items. It shouldn't give you an affection penalty, so I found it just more dialogue to click through, no big deal. Of course, if you want to get and equip such an item, that works too. I think Le Marche and the Pawnshop are good places to look for them.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Like I said befote, the overall damage output Kiryu dealt is nerfed in Kiwami with the exception of the Tiger Drop, it got buffed instead.

Fun fact: You can totally Tiger Drop a bullet. Now that's really awesome if you pull it off.

Early MesuKing players have a certain pattern, later one don't and it's pure luck whether you win or not. The CPU may or may not read your input which makes it kinda crappy.

There are like 4 sidequests I think which requires Haruka.

There's only 2 bosses that requires Essence of Extreme Dragon: Mad Dog Majima and Akira Nishikiyama (Maybe Amon as well? I dunno, I didn't fight him as I consider him above my skill level). So you absolutely need SSS Rank Majima Everywhere before the finale. I don't think it's a spoiler that Akira Nishikiyama is the final boss since the game made the rivalry between the 2 former brother very clear.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

There are some accessories that give you a bonus to Hostess interaction if you have them equipped. Charisma Ring, Manly Cologne, Dragon Shirt, etc. The negative comments the Hostess makes about your outfit at the beginning of the conversations you have with her are in reference to your lack of such items. It shouldn't give you an affection penalty, so I found it just more dialogue to click through, no big deal. Of course, if you want to get and equip such an item, that works too. I think Le Marche and the Pawnshop are good places to look for them.
Oh, okay. For a minute I actually thought I'd just have to deal with being "poorly dressed" unless I was playing Post-Game, which hardly seemed fair.

Like I said befote, the overall damage output Kiryu dealt is nerfed in Kiwami with the exception of the Tiger Drop, it got buffed instead.

Fun fact: You can totally Tiger Drop a bullet. Now that's really awesome if you pull it off.

Early MesuKing players have a certain pattern, later one don't and it's pure luck whether you win or not. The CPU may or may not read your input which makes it kinda crappy.

There's only 2 bosses that requires Essence of Extreme Dragon: Mad Dog Majima and Akira Nishikiyama (Maybe Amon as well? I dunno, I didn't fight him as I consider him above my skill level). So you absolutely need SSS Rank Majima Everywhere before the finale. I don't think it's a spoiler that Akira Nishikiyama is the final boss since the game made the rivalry between the 2 former brother very clear.
Tiger Drop is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah, that's never gonna happen. I freaking wish I had reflexes like that.

Really hate games that are pure RNG like that, but at least the matches are short.

It's pretty bullshit that Majima can trigger the need to use Essence of Extreme Dragon when it's literally impossible to use it against him at that point. At least my sumo slapping is an easy way to get around the healing. And I was planning on finishing up Majima Everywhere regardless, so that works out fine for me.

Part 15 - MesuKing Finale

Another part where there's not a lot for me to say. A lot of it was eaten up by MesuKing and Majima Everywhere which just takes so drat long to get done in Normal, I'm gonna go back to Easy until I move on with the main story. These fights take way too long to show if they're gonna be so lengthy. Of course I could beat up Majima more between videos, but I don't want to risk seeing something special offscreen. In good news, I only got about ten substories left, which is nice. I'm most definitely going to switch back to easy when I fight the Amon guy. From what I hear, the Amon fights in Yakuza 0 were easier than in other games. And it turns out there's only two hostesses I can see. I could've sworn I saw a third one listed somewhere, but it may have been Goromi. While the best hostess in the game, Goromi is sadly gone forever. Oh well...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What a heartwarming game!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - Yui

One last time, not much to go over here. Yui was a bit better than Rina, but that's not saying too much. I'm just glad I don't have to do any more cabaret girl stuff, at least not in this game. Majima is getting tougher and tougher, though then again so is my Dragon Style so I guess it balances out. No idea why the Hannya-man part of the game is so glitched. Fighting him keeps filling up the Majima meter. At the very least I got to SSS Rank because of it, so I can't complain too much. I also looked up how to get that one last, solitary technique in the ability tree. Gotta get into one of those forced fights near the bowling alley. Next video I should complete the Majima Everywhere segment of the game, then move back onto the main story for a bit.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 17 - Going After Shinji

Moving on with the main story a bit here. Pretty surprised that both Shinji and Reina bit the dust here, especially the latter. I kind of assumed that Reina would appear more in the series considering the way she was introduced in Yakuza 0, like she was a series staple reappearing or something. Thinking about it, Shinji only had maybe five minutes of screentime in the original game, since I'm pretty sure I was told that whole soapland joke sequence in the start of this game wasn't present in the original version. Like it's weird an emotional moment got used on a character who barely even appeared. Arase could kiss my rear end, by the way. What a pain in the rear end he was. Also disappointing in the final ability for the Majima Everywhere ability tree. The power to wield a knife and a bat, and only when near death. Like I doubt I'm ever gonna use that, even a single time. Had some find with a few of the Haruka substories I did in this episode, my favorite being the one regarding the presents, in case it wasn't clear. Endgame is fast approaching, with less than ten substories to go and just another chapter or so of main story.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Haven’t watched the latest video yet, but you may have 3 chapters or so of main story to go if Shimano is still around. It’s probably not a spoiler that you’re going to fight him again. And yeah, Arase was the biggest pain in the rear end for me too. Bosses with gun fu and unlimited ammo usually are. I was hoping Kiryu would break his no murder rule and throw him off the building. Sadly he comes back in later games. :(

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Tiger Drop obviously not hitting the opponent because he's too far: "Dood, it's not hitting the opponent! That's bullshit!"
Bladed attack goes through your defense: "Dood, what the hell?!" (Even though it's the rule applies to anyone even bosses that your bare hand obviously can't block blades and bullets).

*Sigh*

Well, at least you're not lowering the difficulty at the slightest sign of difficulty. I commend you for that.

You need to get into striking range with handgun wielding enemies if you wanto Tiger Drop them. Yeah, it's hard. I didn't bother with it myself.

I feel that you become complacent after spending so much in easy mode. You made so many amateur mistake this late in the game it left me shaking my head. You're forgetting to restock your healing items before a multi stage battle, skipping over many healing items in your path (Thank goodness Arase boss fight didn't give way too much trouble), locking yourself in single style (Dragon) and not switching style depending on situation.
Come on man, you can do better than that!

Arase boss fight is annoying. No one can deny that. But I did have some fun fighting him with Rush style. Both of us are dodging all over the place, I'm evading his gunshot and retaliate when there's opening. He's still a terrible human being though.

Fun fact: English!Kiryu nails Kiryu's scream of rage after seeing Reina's corpse. In fact, this is the only time English!Kiryu nails the performance. Too bad his scream for Shinji's death can be described as him trying to scream while not wanting to wake up his neighbor at the same time.

The rest of the substories are unlocked at the Finale. So you can continue up until the final chapter.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Haven’t watched the latest video yet, but you may have 3 chapters or so of main story to go if Shimano is still around. It’s probably not a spoiler that you’re going to fight him again. And yeah, Arase was the biggest pain in the rear end for me too. Bosses with gun fu and unlimited ammo usually are. I was hoping Kiryu would break his no murder rule and throw him off the building. Sadly he comes back in later games. :(
Wait, really? I thought there were only 12. At least that's what I saw when I looked it up. And I'd have been surprised if I didn't slap that tub of lard around again, at least this time I'm ready.

Tiger Drop obviously not hitting the opponent because he's too far: "Dood, it's not hitting the opponent! That's bullshit!"
Bladed attack goes through your defense: "Dood, what the hell?!" (Even though it's the rule applies to anyone even bosses that your bare hand obviously can't block blades and bullets).

*Sigh*

Well, at least you're not lowering the difficulty at the slightest sign of difficulty. I commend you for that.

You need to get into striking range with handgun wielding enemies if you wanto Tiger Drop them. Yeah, it's hard. I didn't bother with it myself.

I feel that you become complacent after spending so much in easy mode. You made so many amateur mistake this late in the game it left me shaking my head. You're forgetting to restock your healing items before a multi stage battle, skipping over many healing items in your path (Thank goodness Arase boss fight didn't give way too much trouble), locking yourself in single style (Dragon) and not switching style depending on situation.
Come on man, you can do better than that!

Arase boss fight is annoying. No one can deny that. But I did have some fun fighting him with Rush style. Both of us are dodging all over the place, I'm evading his gunshot and retaliate when there's opening. He's still a terrible human being though.

Fun fact: English!Kiryu nails Kiryu's scream of rage after seeing Reina's corpse. In fact, this is the only time English!Kiryu nails the performance. Too bad his scream for Shinji's death can be described as him trying to scream while not wanting to wake up his neighbor at the same time.

The rest of the substories are unlocked at the Finale. So you can continue up until the final chapter.
Why would it activate at all if it wouldn't hit? Seems like an oversight.
And pardon me, I spell dude quite correctly, thank you very much.

And drat, I got shot a bunch for nothing.

I didn't know there was a multi stage battle happening. And in my defense, it was you who told me that Tiger Drop would break the game and the story bosses over my knee once I got it, and I adapted and overcame by slapping the poo poo out of Arase in the end, so I consider it a victory.

Well, just about everyone I fight in the series so far has been a lovely human being, so that's not saying too much. I've sure had bad luck with gun-users in this game so far, huh?

Oh wow, you're right on both friends. A roar of absolute rage, and then a mewl of despair. Also really loved Arase's "What the gently caress you waiting for you dumb poo poo?" as he enters the scene.

Alright, good to know. Just gotta deal with that boxer guy first.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I'm sorry if my comment is a little too harsh. I was too ticked off at seeing how you fight during the first half of the video. Though to be fair to you, I did pretty good in the 2nd half of the video, particularly in the tag team fight with Majima and the fight against Ali brothers. (You ended that fight in like 10 seconds when they're actually a surprisingly difficult opponents).

On normal and above, HEAT Action's damage greatly reduced if you use the same HEAT Action twice in one fight. It's to encourage you to use different HEAT Actions in the battle.

Oh yeah, I just realized that every gun user in the game is a terrible human being.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm sorry if my comment is a little too harsh. I was too ticked off at seeing how you fight during the first half of the video. Though to be fair to you, I did pretty good in the 2nd half of the video, particularly in the tag team fight with Majima and the fight against Ali brothers. (You ended that fight in like 10 seconds when they're actually a surprisingly difficult opponents).

On normal and above, HEAT Action's damage greatly reduced if you use the same HEAT Action twice in one fight. It's to encourage you to use different HEAT Actions in the battle.

Oh yeah, I just realized that every gun user in the game is a terrible human being.
That's fair. I certainly get pushed around a lot throughout the game, even on easy mode. Speaking of Majima, they really should have changed around more dialogue in the main story to take Majima Everywhere into account. It becomes really blatant they didn't think it 100% through in today's video.

poo poo, that was a think in Yakuza 0 too, wasn't it? Completely forgot about that. Just note I do comment on it in this video with confusion, but I recorded it before seeing this comment.

Even Kiryu?

Part 18 - Mizuki, Yumi, and Haruka

Jesus Christ there's so much death. First Shinji and Reina, and now Shimano and Kazama. Shimano dying is fine, but I was kind of sad with Kazama's death even with that kind of awkward last second confession of his. Finally got to the big twist on Haruka and her true mother, I think I threw out the idea it was Yumi at some point. I'm just glad Dojima wasn't the dad. Majima continues to be a welcome treat and also he can punch through floors. It's just a shame that with Majima Everywhere, it makes parts like Kiryu's surprise that Majima is alive after just fighting him ten minutes ago really awkward. Though at least they're amusing too. The entire boat and Shimano fights can go ahead and rot in Hell. Way too many mooks, and the mooks that were on my side were completely useless. At least, at long last, I got to use Essence of Extreme Rush on him to make up for earlier. One thing I also noticed as I was recording was how little Nishi actually appears in the present. If I recall he only had two major scenes not in flashback. His downward spiral arc we got to see what great and all, but I want to see him more as a villain too.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yeah, the damage reduction is there on Yakuza 0 as well. This is why Komaki's HEAT Action counter is so great since there's 4 variation of it depending on the direction of the enemy attacks. Knives also has many variations of it, the HEAT Actions for Brawler style and Dragon style with knife is different.

Kiryu primarily fights using his fists, so he doesn't count.

I did say switching style depending on the situation. Switching to Beast mode against Slugger Majima's fast and wide attack is NOT ideal. Slugger Majima is the easiest Majima for me after Tiger Drop. I bait him with a simple jab to make him do his combo, Tiger Drop him during his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hit of the combo since I memorize the combo and the timing, profit!

You can instant kill the big dude with a big furniture by using HEAT Action is Brawler style. It saves you a lot of headache. But at least it's the last time you meet that type of enemy.

You should make use of the instant style switch. You'll be surprised at how flexible and stylish Kiryu become if you mastered it (Though not to the same extent as Dante from Devil May Cry). Fully powered Dragon style shines in Climax HEAT mode, but it sucks at generating HEAT. So you should try to build up HEAT in either Rush or Brawler and then quick switch to Dragon. Rush's Charged Roundhouse Kick deals high enough damage to instantly KO most goons and it gives you mild super armor to punish anyone that attacked you. Brawler's square x4, triangle, triangle combo is also deals high damage and is better than Dragon double finisher (Too bad though since I like double finishers back in Yakuza 0). My favorite quick switch action is me dodging to the nearest object with Rush or Dragon, quick switch to Beast, go to town against the enemy, quick switch back. When I'm in the middle of being comboed by the enemies, quick switch to Rush, escape from the combo like a boss.

You should use HEAT Action when at Climax HEAT Mode (Red HEAT), the damage is greatly increased now that you have all 3 of Climax Heat Power +.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how you just casually guess most of the late game twist. The only reason you're unable to guess all of it is because Jingu's role and presence isn't revealed until very late in the game.

The 2nd President of Nikkyo Consortium uses Sera's fighting style. I recognize and dread those arms flailing in his combo. Fortunately, he doesn't have a fraction of Sera's skill.

Before getting to the final battle, FILL ALL OF YOUR INVENTORY WITH STAMINAN ROYALE OR OTHER TOP TIER HEALING ITEMS. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You can find better healing items in the pharmacy.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 11, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, the damage reduction is there on Yakuza 0 as well. This is why Komaki's HEAT Action counter is so great since there's 4 variation of it depending on the direction of the enemy attacks. Knives also has many variations of it, the HEAT Actions for Brawler style and Dragon style with knife is different.

I did say switching style depending on the situation. Switching to Beast mode against Slugger Majima's fast and wide attack is NOT ideal. Slugger Majima is the easiest Majima for me after Tiger Drop. I bait him with a simple jab to make him do his combo, Tiger Drop him during his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hit of the combo since I memorize the combo and the timing, profit!

You should make use of the instant style switch. You'll be surprised at how flexible and stylish Kiryu become if you mastered it (Though not to the same extent as Dante from Devil May Cry). Fully powered Dragon style shines in Climax HEAT mode, but it sucks at generating HEAT. So you should try to build up HEAT in either Rush or Brawler and then quick switch to Dragon. Rush's Charged Roundhouse Kick deals high enough damage to instantly KO most goons and it gives you mild super armor to punish anyone that attacked you. Brawler's square x4, triangle, triangle combo is also deals high damage and is better than Dragon double finisher (Too bad though since I like double finishers back in Yakuza 0). My favorite quick switch action is me dodging to the nearest object with Rush or Dragon, quick switch to Beast, go to town against the enemy, quick switch back. When I'm in the middle of being comboed by the enemies, quick switch to Rush, escape from the combo like a boss.

You should use HEAT Action when at Climax HEAT Mode (Red HEAT), the damage is greatly increased now that you have all 3 of Climax Heat Power +.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how you just casually guess most of the late game twist. The only reason you're unable to guess all of it is because Jingu's role and presence isn't revealed until very late in the game.

The 2nd President of Nikkyo Consortium uses Sera's fighting style. I recognize and dread those arms flailing in his combo. Fortunately, he doesn't have a fraction of Sera's skill.

Before getting to the final battle, FILL ALL OF YOUR INVENTORY WITH STAMINAN ROYALE OR OTHER TOP TIER HEALING ITEMS. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You can find better healing items in the pharmacy.
Whenever Komaki's HEAT Counter manages to activate, poo poo's always cool. Good think to know with the knives, especially now that I have an unbreakable one.

I always just matched fighting styles with people whenever I deviated from Dragon. I thought that's what I was supposed to do.

I think one problem (of many) I got in playing is I forget a lot of the moves I have. There's so many abilities to keep track of over four different fighting styles that I genuinely forget a lot of them exist. I hadn't thought of instant style switching for a while until you brought it up just now, for instance.

See, like I forgot about that Climax HEAT Power increase too.

In fairness, I threw out several theories on Haruka's parentage, so I was bound to get part of it true. The game made it pretty obvious something unusual was going on with Yumi and her "sister". Besides, I got the father totally wrong. Kept thinking Nishi was Haruka's dad all because of her hair.

Surprised how little importance the Nikkyo Consortium leader is in this game. Not even enough to get properly voiced. Of course that's with the experiences of Yakuza 0 in mind, which I find myself doing a lot when looking at the game's story.

Will do.

Part 19 - Jo Amon

Just wrapping up the last few substories here. That one from the bar was so loving annoying. Why was that the one substory that doesn't just appear on the map like literally every other one in the game? The only real exceptions being ones that Haruka is needed to see. Even then, the game outright told you she's needed for at least one substory, so dragging her about to find any missing substories is a given. The conclusion to that should-have-been-part-of-the-main-story chain of substories was pretty meek, as nothing...really happened. Jo Amon was much tamer than expected, mainly because I had been told how much harder he'd be compared to the Amon fights of Yakuza 0. Granted, I was on easy mode, but I was also on easy mode on Yakuza 0 and got my rear end handed to me several times by So. It was actually jarring how tame the fight was, all Jo had was super speed and a knife whereas So had a weird laser canon, sentient furniture, bombs, and invincibility potions. Either way, cheap tactics once more save the day. I feel no shame or guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on beating Amon. I'm surprised they didn't up the difficulty much for him in Kiwami. Oh well.

Glad you also got to see Yayoi Dojima. She gets way less attention in the series than she deserves IMO. Especially with her prominent role in the next game.

Looking forward to the finale.