Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How does Damon Lindelof keep getting work?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How does Damon Lindelof keep getting work?

Some of his stuff is actually really good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I enjoyed his Watchmen and I hear great things about The Leftovers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I loved Lost and Watchmen but I tried 2 or 3 episodes of The Leftovers and nothing clicked. YMMV

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I haven't seen Leftovers, but Watchmen was really loving good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The leftovers is absolutely fantastic and doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

See, if he just wrote good stuff all the time there'd be no mystery about if it was gonna be good or not. Gotta keep the audience on their toes!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The best thing about the Leftovers is that it's only 3 seasons, 28 episodes total. Sleek, efficient, does what it needs to then is over.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Doctor Zero posted:

It can ignore it (in the sense of just not mentioning it) and still be a prequel.

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized. That doesn't happen in a couple hundred years. I have no issue with David finding the tech and loving with it, but to imply that he created xenomorphs is ridiculous.

Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons? (in the cut scenes they had him transform into Xenomorph hybrid which made way more sense.) It's just full of dumb Hollywood "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that again, don't make any freaking sense in the context of the other movies.

Don't even get me started on the whole implying that Jesus was a 12 foot bald porcelain skinned engineer.

Again, I actually like the movie, but more as a "What if" than anything canon. I really hope the whole concept fades away and goes to live with Midichlorians.

Fake edit: Oh, and the Engineers are humanoid instead of this unfathomable alien that is one of the most unique and baffling aliens on film. Bleh. "I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT SO gently caress IT IT'S A SUIT." :rolleyes:

Fake edit edit: Oh gently caress I completely blocked the goddamn disembodied head that is still alive and explodes into goo for .... who the gently caress even knows anymore. :fuckoff:

Good lord this is a sweaty post :kiddo:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Doctor Zero posted:

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized. That doesn't happen in a couple hundred years. I have no issue with David finding the tech and loving with it, but to imply that he created xenomorphs is ridiculous.

I don't think that's what happened.

Rather, a human built android reverse-engineered Xenomorphs and made one, or something that was very close to one.

Doctor Zero posted:

Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons? (in the cut scenes they had him transform into Xenomorph hybrid which made way more sense.) It's just full of dumb Hollywood "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that again, don't make any freaking sense in the context of the other movies.

I think the idea is that the black goo is a bioweapon that breaks and re-writes the DNA or whatever it touches. This is shown in the movies - it splits the helix and combines with it. What results is unpredictable - it might kill something outright, it might make something really weird.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^ yeah. I didn't get that idea from the movies though maybe I misunderstood. I'll have to watch them again.

Zadok Allen posted:

Good lord this is a sweaty post :kiddo:

Yeah I was kind of on a bender yesterday.

So let me back-up and re-iterate that I quite like Prometheus and even Covenant for what they are. I was looking forward to a follow-up of Covenant in the hopes it would go how I hoped. Here's my (less sweaty, hopefully) head-canon.

NOTE: +/- 4 billion years
-200,000 years ago: The race of Space Jockeys that we see in Alien are expanding into the galaxy. They encounter Xenomorphs, which may or may not be natural. (Even they don't know.) To weaponize them, they experiment and re-engineer the Xenomorphs. What you would expect to happen, happens and hilarity ensues wiping out the Space Jockeys.

-10,000 years ago: The Engineers we see in Prometheus rise and expand into the stars. They find the remains of the Space Jockey civilization and at first worship them, but as they advance technologically, turn to a deep reverence. They adapt the Space Jockey's tech, having to build the suits we see in the movies in order to interface with it. Of course, they find Xenomorphs (or find the Space Jockey's attempt at re-engineering them) and think it's dope. They adapt it and seed the Earth.

-2,000 years ago: The Engineers lose control of their re-engineered black goo and hilarity ensues leading to them being wiped out. As a last-ditch attempt to break the cycle, the remaining few gear up to wipe out their creation (humans) so Earth doesn't become a hive world (or maybe so we don't get our hands on the goo). They fail, 'natch. The one Engineer freezes himself to hopefully wake up later in case things get hosed. Which they do.

Prometheus: Humans find the Engineer welcome signs made 10,000 years ago before the Fuckening. All the stuff happens and they wake up the Engineer who is at first confused why there are Humans there, but then sees that Humans are building androids to be immortal and now have the black goo, so it's pretty loving clear everything will go to poo poo all over again. He tries to carry out the original plan but gets eaten by a squid.

Covenant: As feared, David fucks with the black goo making poo poo he shouldn't be making. His drawings are the result of him studying the goo and unknowingly making a new strain of Xenomorphs.

Alien: The Nostromo finds the distress beacon of the derelict which crashed on Acheron almost 200,000 years before. It's carrying a full load of natural Xenomorphs for inscrutable reasons, but ultimately with hubris thinking they have control and can use them "safely." Nope. The Company knows about the signal. Do they already know about the Xenomorphs? Maybe. Probably. They at least know about the Engineers, so it stands to reason they might have learned about the Xenomorphs (I'm ignoring AVP & AVP2 here). The Company picks up the signal somewhere else (anywhere within 200,000 light years) and re-route the Nostromo which is unfortunately closest, already knowing the signal's content.

Aliens: The Nostromo is lost, and the Weyland Yutani secret program that diverted the Nostromo is secreted away. Burke is a jerk for profit, re-igniting the idea (pun intended).

Alien3: All that happens. Weyland Yutani finally gets close to a live specimen, but Ripley fucks it up.

Alien Resurrection: Humans experiment and re-engineer the Xenomorphs and hilarity ensues perpetuating the cycle.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

(I'm ignoring AVP & AVP2 here)

Aw, don't tease me with a fully integrated head canon and just skip over stuff.

Personally I like the idea from the Dark Horse comics that Terminator is canon to the Alien franchise, it's just so far in the future that it's not really common knowledge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think I would have liked Prometheus better if it just... didn't have anything to do with Alien except maybe being set in the same universe. Just "space is weird and hostile, exploring it will bring you in touch with things better left unknown." No Space Jockeys, no connection to Earth at all, just they find this weird hosed up planet with a weird hosed up guy and weird hosed up goo and at no point does it try to explain lore. You just end up with something hostile and horrible in a way that is completely divorced from the Xenomorph.

I think the worst part is always when they try to connect it to Alien which I think diminishes both works.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i already said it itt but i think it's supported by what you see on the screen (the relief sculpture in the chapel) that david didn't "create" the xenomorphs. he pulled the github source of the long extant code and made his own fork. now, that said, it's still kind of dumb but fassbender's performance is so good i want to forgive it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, dude’s shoulders are probably still sore from carrying 2 films that hard. I think it’s a quote from Christopher Lee that said “just because you know a movie is bad is no excuse for you to be bad in it”, and Fassbender took that idea to heart*

*I don’t think Prometheus/Covenant are bad movies themselves, they’re not not good as Alien movies and like someone else just said, should’ve been standalones about the kinds of weird (non-xenomorph) poo poo you start finding when you start exploring other planets.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think I would have liked Prometheus better if it just... didn't have anything to do with Alien except maybe being set in the same universe.

Prometheus doesn’t have anything to do with Alien, though, aside from being set in the same universe. Like, they take place decades apart, on different worlds, with different characters.

When the two films are viewed together, the only new plot point introduced is that the aliens have been doing experiments on Earth for a while. You also get a small amount of info on Weyland-Yutani Corporation, I suppose, but not a huge amount of detail.

Strictly speaking, Prometheus might not even be classifiable as an Alien prequel because - to my recollection, at least - it’s never actually stated in what year Alien takes place. If you watch only those two films, Prometheus can be treated as a chronological sequel.

Set dates for the events of Alien were not given until Aliens, so Prometheus is only a prequel in the context of the broader franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prometheus doesn’t have anything to do with Alien, though, aside from being set in the same universe. Like, they take place decades apart, on different worlds, with different characters.

When the two films are viewed together, the only new plot point introduced is that the aliens have been doing experiments on Earth for a while. You also get a small amount of info on Weyland-Yutani Corporation, I suppose, but not a huge amount of detail.

Strictly speaking, Prometheus might not even be classifiable as an Alien prequel because - to my recollection, at least - it’s never actually stated in what year Alien takes place. If you watch only those two films, Prometheus can be treated as a chronological sequel.

Set dates for the events of Alien were not given until Aliens, so Prometheus is only a prequel in the context of the broader franchise.

It has the Space Jockey and Weyland as the center parts of the plot. I mean completely divorced. Not "Here's the secret origin of Weyland-Yutani and the Space Jockey"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So were the engineers supposed to be space jockeys or not in Prometheus?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

It has the Space Jockey and Weyland as the center parts of the plot. I mean completely divorced. Not "Here's the secret origin of Weyland-Yutani and the Space Jockey"

But, as I noted, the film doesn't actually provide an origin for either of those things. The alien base they find isn't even their homeworld.

Like, okay: showing the founder of the company Ripley works for is sort-of implicitly an origin, I guess. But how does that actually impact Alien's narrative at all?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

So were the engineers supposed to be space jockeys or not in Prometheus?

I always assumed they were as they have the jockey ships and space suits. And with the opening scene of Prometheus with them seeding life on earth I'd assume they're like billions of years old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But, as I noted, the film doesn't actually provide an origin for either of those things. The alien base they find isn't even their homeworld.

Like, okay: showing the founder of the company Ripley works for is sort-of implicitly an origin, I guess. But how does that actually impact Alien's narrative at all?

It makes it more about Earth, which is what I dislike. It goes from "A bunch of space truckers run into something fundamentally unknown and terrible" to "A bunch of space truckers run into a genetic offshoot of the same aliens who created them" and it just loses something for me as a horror thing. The more you explain something the less scary it is I think. I love Aliens and even that runs into the problem a bit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Personally I like the idea from the Dark Horse comics that Terminator is canon to the Alien franchise, it's just so far in the future that it's not really common knowledge.

Well, it's easy enough to slot in, but doing so raises other issues. But, I do mentally leave in the possibility that AVP & AVP2 was the first time Weyland as an organization got an idea about what's out there.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I always assumed they were as they have the jockey ships and space suits. And with the opening scene of Prometheus with them seeding life on earth I'd assume they're like billions of years old.

:doh: Yes, Doctor Zero, life on Earth adheres to Biblical timelines. So, add 4 billion years to my timeline and then we're good. :shobon:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wait like the "something fucky happened with some property damage and a bunch of dead/kneecapped cops in 1984 and then again in 1991, judgement day averted" timeline, or the "full on giant robot tanks rolling down piles of skulls littering the 405 as humanity is on the brink of extinction" timeline?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wait like the "something fucky happened with some property damage and a bunch of dead/kneecapped cops in 1984 and then again in 1991, judgement day averted" timeline, or the "full on giant robot tanks rolling down piles of skulls littering the 405 as humanity is on the brink of extinction" timeline?

That’s the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comic, a comic series so bad that I, Xenomrph, EU apologist and completionist, don’t own it in its entirety and am telling you to avoid it like the plague because it’s dogshit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

That’s the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comic, a comic series so bad that I, Xenomrph, EU apologist and completionist, don’t own it in its entirety and am telling you to avoid it like the plague because it’s dogshit.

Do you know it's taken me until just now to realize there's no second 'o' in your account name?

e: Jesus Christ my account is old enough to drink. :corsair:.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

The latter.

But yeah, the comic isn't anything I'd add to a reading list. The idea alone is enough for me. And it does a nice mirror between the first two films of both franchises having the android character flip from evil to good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Side tangent nerd nitpick, Terminator 2 is set in 1995 when John Connor is 10 years old (he was born in February 1985).

I’m about as big of a Terminator nerd as I am an Aliens/Predator nerd and I’ve been on a big Terminator kick lately, I’ve been considering starting a Terminator thread in GBS or Sci-Fi WiFi.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Read a lot of Dark Horse comics back in the day, did ya?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

It makes it more about Earth, which is what I dislike. It goes from "A bunch of space truckers run into something fundamentally unknown and terrible" to "A bunch of space truckers run into a genetic offshoot of the same aliens who created them" and it just loses something for me as a horror thing. The more you explain something the less scary it is I think. I love Aliens and even that runs into the problem a bit.

I think that kind of broad explanation is, ironically, missing how particular aspects of the film shape the narrative. Like, this 'more information = less scary' formula. Why can't a shark-eyed, murderous giant ape-man be scary? It's like saying Jaws can't be scary because we know what a shark is. (We certainly know less about the aliens in Prometheus than we do about sharks.)

A major fan complaint about Prometheus, after all, is that it paradoxically doesn't provide much exposition about what's going on. Why did these shark-apes create/influence humanity? Why are they plotting to dump this mutagenic goo on us? What is the black goo??? You can reach obvious conclusions, but you have to puzzle them out on your own. But that's the rub: Prometheus encourages you to think about the monsters as characters, with motivations and stuff. Moreover, you start thinking in terms of their material reality: these alien guys are a part of a larger society, producing their tech through work, probably because someone ordered them to. They have religious beliefs that justify their actions, etc. They're probably getting a space paycheck, just like Ripley. This marks a transition from sci-fi horror to full-on speculative fiction - and the bridge is comedy.

Prometheus is the fifth movie in a multimedia franchise (the tenth, if you include Predator films). It goes without saying that not all of these stories are actually scary at all, nor even intended to be. In this context, Prometheus is specifically a horror-comedy where a guy smokes the weed in a haunted castle and then dies of a sex joke. To that end, the story is presented from the point of view of this entertainingly amoral Hannibal figure, David. And this is again grounded in the material: David is a slave owned by a deranged Thiel/Musk-like billionaire. We understand where he's coming from.

So, the trouble isn't exposure to too much information, but the fact that Prometheus is a powerful artwork. Alien remains the same movie, but you've changed in how you interpret it and now react very differently to the "unknown and terrible".

What I really love about Covenant is that, at that point, even the individual 'xenomorphs' are treated as characters with particular behaviors, shaped by their experiences. Covenant, presented from the fearless Walter's point of view, is specifically a gothic romance.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 22, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

This is what I assumed when I watched it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Paddyo posted:

Read a lot of Dark Horse comics back in the day, did ya?

Well yeah

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MarcusSA posted:

This is what I assumed when I watched it

Shaw believes that the aliens are the gods responsible for creating life on Earth, but a big part of her arc is to realize “we were wrong! We were so, so wrong!”

It's not really possible for the aliens to have pre-programmed billions of years of evolution into a goo. And just to produce a species of ape that kinda resembles them? Why would they bother spending billions of years on this project, when the result is just this basic-rear end genetic engineering?

The reality is that they're 'gods' in the sense of gigantic assholes who live in space who gently caress around with people, not God. Today's humans are only like 300,000 years old. The oldest evidence Shaw has is from 33,000 BC.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Shaw believes that the aliens are the gods responsible for creating life on Earth, but a big part of her arc is to realize “we were wrong! We were so, so wrong!”
One of the things I came to appreciate more in a recent rewatch of Prometheus is how hilariously optimistic the expectations of Shaw, Holloway, and Weyland are regarding the Engineers in the context of their treatment of David. They eagerly assume they will be enlightened and blessed by their presumed creators in various ways, even though as the creators themselves of David (albeit metaphorically except for Weyland) they are at best dismissive of their creation and often treat him with outright contempt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Peyote Panda posted:

One of the things I came to appreciate more in a recent rewatch of Prometheus is how hilariously optimistic the expectations of Shaw, Holloway, and Weyland are regarding the Engineers in the context of their treatment of David. They eagerly assume they will be enlightened and blessed by their presumed creators in various ways, even though as the creators themselves of David (albeit metaphorically except for Weyland) they are at best dismissive of their creation and often treat him with outright contempt.

It’s been a minute since I watched Prometheus, how is Shaw dismissive of him? Like, he saves her life during the sandstorm.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I think that kind of broad explanation is, ironically, missing how particular aspects of the film shape the narrative. Like, this 'more information = less scary' formula. Why can't a shark-eyed, murderous giant ape-man be scary? It's like saying Jaws can't be scary because we know what a shark is. (We certainly know less about the aliens in Prometheus than we do about sharks.)

A major fan complaint about Prometheus, after all, is that it paradoxically doesn't provide much exposition about what's going on. Why did these shark-apes create/influence humanity? Why are they plotting to dump this mutagenic goo on us? What is the black goo??? You can reach obvious conclusions, but you have to puzzle them out on your own. But that's the rub: Prometheus encourages you to think about the monsters as characters, with motivations and stuff. Moreover, you start thinking in terms of their material reality: these alien guys are a part of a larger society, producing their tech through work, probably because someone ordered them to. They have religious beliefs that justify their actions, etc. They're probably getting a space paycheck, just like Ripley. This marks a transition from sci-fi horror to full-on speculative fiction - and the bridge is comedy.

Prometheus is the fifth movie in a multimedia franchise (the tenth, if you include Predator films). It goes without saying that not all of these stories are actually scary at all, nor even intended to be. In this context, Prometheus is specifically a horror-comedy where a guy smokes the weed in a haunted castle and then dies of a sex joke. To that end, the story is presented from the point of view of this entertainingly amoral Hannibal figure, David. And this is again grounded in the material: David is a slave owned by a deranged Thiel/Musk-like billionaire. We understand where he's coming from.

So, the trouble isn't exposure to too much information, but the fact that Prometheus is a powerful artwork. Alien remains the same movie, but you've changed in how you interpret it and now react very differently to the "unknown and terrible".

What I really love about Covenant is that, at that point, even the individual 'xenomorphs' are treated as characters with particular behaviors, shaped by their experiences. Covenant, presented from the fearless Walter's point of view, is specifically a gothic romance.

Prometheus would have been a 1000x better movie if they didn't include the opening scene. Covenant too.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Doctor Zero posted:

Alien: The Nostromo finds the distress beacon of the derelict which crashed on Acheron almost 200,000 years before. It's carrying a full load of natural Xenomorphs for inscrutable reasons, but ultimately with hubris thinking they have control and can use them "safely."
I've enjoyed speculating over the years about how the Space Jockies' purpose in collecting Xenomorphs was completely at odds with humanity's. Maybe they were pets or livestock, maybe the eggs and/facehuggers were a culinary delicacy and the Acheron derelict was the final resting place of a farm-to-table operation that met an unfortunate end.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Peyote Panda posted:

I also enjoyed how the aborted fetus metaphorically kills God. The fact its evolution resembles an unholy Trinity with Holloway —> Shaw —> Trilobite is icing on the cake.

Prometheus and Covenant are so good. You’ll likely catch another layer to them on every watch.

In Covenant, the religious characters receive the most brutal deaths as punishment for the hubris of their “blind faith”; Oram with the chestburster, and Rosenthal gets decapitated by a loving alien biting her head off. Scott even provides us 2 shots of her floating head in the Baptist pool for good measure.

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

It’s been a minute since I watched Prometheus, how is Shaw dismissive of him? Like, he saves her life during the sandstorm.
She's nowhere near the other two and is generally polite to David, but even Shaw has moments such as responding to David's question about why she wants to understand the Engineers' motivations by saying he wouldn't understand because he's a robot and she's a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is an old Terminator CD thread I have bookmarked that I think you can still post in, Xenomrph.

Although I know you said you were thinking of starting a new scifiwifi or GBS thread, which I am totally down for.