Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Has anyone read the "Aliens: What If?" comics where Burke survives the events of Aliens? I want to but I'm just thinking it'll have a stupid twist that it's just him hallucinating while he's cocooned.

Azubah posted:

I've read the current issues, so far not that bad. No dream stuff.

It's still going to end poorly for Burke though lol

Sounds promising! How many issues will there be?

Dirt5o8 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've read the current issues, so far not that bad. No dream stuff.

It's still going to end poorly for Burke though lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

It's far more horrifying than the original movie for very, very different reasons.

Why hello, hard work stolen from real artists.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Alien Day!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

Happy Alien Day!

Free League is selling the Alien rpg stuff at half off today for 4/26.

Link

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cessna posted:

Free League is selling the Alien rpg stuff at half off today for 4/26.

Link

I want to but the shipping is almost the price of the book. :negative:

Are any of the books besides the core rules a must-have?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I want to but the shipping is almost the price of the book. :negative:

Are any of the books besides the core rules a must-have?

Colonial Marines Operations Manual, but I’m biased because I’m in it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

Happy Alien Day!

I made this for today. yeah, yeah it's AI but I worked it in photoshop for a couple of hours, and my artistic talent would produce stick figures, so...

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
kitty

https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1783886270588219436

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

imagine how apeshit you could drive household pets with that thing

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Pets..?

I'd be screaming my loving head off

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You don't need AI to imagine what '50s Alien would look like, that already existed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKE0BoFwR1k

And for a bonus, let's see the real '60s Alien looked like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1VOmwuHag

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Doctor Zero posted:

I made this for today. yeah, yeah it's AI but I worked it in photoshop for a couple of hours, and my artistic talent would produce stick figures, so...

OK, I laughed at this really hard - on the bus, even! - and immediately sent it to a friend who often thinks about Aliens (the movie).

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Xenomrph posted:

Colonial Marines Operations Manual, but I’m biased because I’m in it.

Shipping is per-item, apparently. :(

I asked if there was an option to just buy the PDFs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What if? question: Could you save the mission to LV-426? If so, what would you have done differently? And try to be reasonable with hindsight.

Like, for me, I find it unconscionable that the ship in orbit was left so unmanned and unable to provide assistance to the ground forces.

It would have least allowed them to retreat without losing everyone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mission could’ve been a partial salvage if the dropship had stayed airborne, rather than landed and an alien got aboard. Bishop would’ve had all the time in the world to study the xenos, and WY probably would’ve gotten better data out of it before the descent into David-style madness

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Some caveats

1. Gorman must be there
2. Funding is no object

1. A squad stationed in the Sulaco as reserves
2. An experienced officer to hold Gorman's hand through the process
3. Some sort of hard plastic body armour that can withstand acid and xeno strikes

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They needed to send a Berserker Squad in there.

Of course Burke would never allow it because precious specimens would have been totally annihilated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good news!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/11437/free-league-publishing/category/34036/alien-rpg?keyword=alien%20rpg

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If the boardgame is to be believed, if Apone decided to instead book it out of the Atmospheric Processor he would have single-handedly killed every alien between him and the landing zone before hurling the APC back onto the Sulaco.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Shipping is per-item, apparently. :(

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/356935/alien-rpg-colonial-marines-operations-manual

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Put on the Alien soundtrack at work today. It was fun watching customers get startled and bewildered by some of the big orchestral hits.

Also, they need to make that RC face hugger into a real thing you can buy. I can think of so many people I'd freak out with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redshirt posted:

What if? question: Could you save the mission to LV-426? If so, what would you have done differently? And try to be reasonable with hindsight.

Like, for me, I find it unconscionable that the ship in orbit was left so unmanned and unable to provide assistance to the ground forces.

They could have just nuked it from orbit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

They could have just nuked it from orbit.

There was a primary mission of determining what happened to the Colony.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redshirt posted:

Anything like that can be explained with Gorman's naivety and/or Burke's scheming. Like the whole mission could have been deliberately understaffed before they left Gateway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

We showed up and uh... someone nuked it. Yeah.

Hey where da Arcturians at?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

redshirt posted:

Send in some unmanned drones, piloted from a hovering dropship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean honestly they should have backed off once they found out that they were going into the one place where using their weapons would fuckin' nuke the place. The marines going in effectively with harsh language aside from Hick's shotgun and some direct defiance of orders Smartgun rounds. Even if you have to have someone going in, sending your entire squad in basically unarmed is dumb as hell, send maybe 2-3 at most.

(Also basically the entire plot doesn't happen if they leave exactly one person on the Sulaco.)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's not really fair to say "drones drones drones" when clearly the Colonial Marines did not have drone tech at their disposal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redshirt posted:

It's not really fair to say "drones drones drones" when clearly the Colonial Marines did not have drone tech at their disposal.

I mean they kind of do. Bishop is right there. Probably not the best use of Bishop to strap a camera to him and send him in but it's entirely an option.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Watched Alien, Aliens, and Terminator today. Thinkin' 'bout them Aliens.

Also thinkin' 'bout having a Predator 2 nightcap to complete the trifecta of Bill Paxton getting greased.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Watched Alien, Aliens, and Terminator today. Thinkin' 'bout them Aliens.

Also thinkin' 'bout having a Predator 2 nightcap to complete the trifecta of Bill Paxton getting greased.

Game over, man.....

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ImpAtom posted:

I mean they kind of do. Bishop is right there. Probably not the best use of Bishop to strap a camera to him and send him in but it's entirely an option.

He costs more than the Marines. :(

Robert Facepalmer posted:

This was on TV just last night so I watched it!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Just got back from seeing Alien in the theater. Been a while since I've see the first one, still an all timer.

Drinking a boozy shake and watching alien is a good way to spend a day.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
We had a successful movie evening with Prey today. We both thought it was great movie. I did miss the classical beady-eyed Predator look though.
At the end of it she wanted to see the trailers for AvP.
So, I guess she's already thinking about Aliens in a way.

I look forward to my youngest being old enough to start this cycle all over again.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Mission could’ve been a partial salvage if the dropship had stayed airborne, rather than landed and an alien got aboard.

Or hey, just don't leave your loving ramp down in an unknown/hostile environment? Make it SOP to put up a sentry gun if you do?

I refuse to believe anyone would care about a friendly/neutral getting blasted. I 100% believe that extra effort equals not happening, though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ImpAtom posted:

(Also basically the entire plot doesn't happen if they leave exactly one person on the Sulaco.)
Bishop would seem the ideal (artificial) person to leave on the Sulaco. Surely one of the marines could drive the APC?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember seeing Alien in the theater as a kid and spotted the creature hiding in the escape pod at the finale. Saw his head.

Are we MEANT to see that or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember seeing Alien in the theater as a kid and spotted the creature hiding in the escape pod at the finale. Saw his head.

Are we MEANT to see that or...?

I recognized it too, but I started to doubt myself when it didn’t attack. I think it’s there for people to see or not. It does blend in pretty well with the equipment if you aren’t looking for it.

Same with the hive walls in Aliens.