Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Test screenings for Aliens Romulus is coming out, you knew there was a new Aliens movie right?

Here's the deets according to https://www.avpgalaxy.net

While it’s been public for a while thanks to the Perfect Organism Podcast’s previous teases about the film having connections to the prequel films, Mike’s Monsters has recently confirmed that neither David or the Covenant are featured in the film at all. So what is the connection?

Rather, Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively confirm that the black goo (or accelerant as it is known in the expanded universe) is making a return in the film. A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation. Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

Alien: Romulus will also feature another huge connection to the original Alien film in the way of the inclusion of the previously mentioned Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2. Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

Following some general details that they posted yesterday, Scified has shared more specific details provided by V Scooper about Alien: Romulus. First is that the film will include a new weapon that looks similar to the iconic Pulse Rifle. This is another detail that Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can corroborate. White in colour, the new weapon shares many design elements with the M41A Pulse Rifle including the carry handle, and an underslung pump action.

The second upload that Scified shared today is something related to what we posted in our own intel about the connections between Alien: Romulus and the prequel films and the original Alien. This has been speculation that we’ve seen and enjoyed being posted on our message boards for some time, and we can now confirm the truth behind it. Big Chap’s remains are recovered at the start of Alien: Romulus.

Are you not entertained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Pokes his gun point around the dark corner of the suspiciously silent people factory,,,,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*REPEAT SOMETHING HAS GOTTEN ON THE SHIP, I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS, I HAVE TO

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In other news I’m having dinner with Andrew Gaska (author of the Alien RPG) tomorrow, and he’ll also be at the Game On Expo in Phoenix this weekend.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

In other news I’m having dinner with Andrew Gaska (author of the Alien RPG) tomorrow, and he’ll also be at the Game On Expo in Phoenix this weekend.

Tell him he nailed it.

Re: Alien: Romulans: I wonder if they're taking inspiration from the unused William Gibson Aliens sequel script that featured an airborne pathogen. I'm not a fan of it because it ruins the whole 'something lurking in the dark hunting you' theme. I'm also dubious about bringing an Ash-alike back c.f. Princess Shrekface Leia. I guess we'll see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Test screenings for Aliens Romulus is coming out, you knew there was a new Aliens movie right?

While it’s been public for a while thanks to the Perfect Organism Podcast’s previous teases about the film having connections to the prequel films, Mike’s Monsters has recently confirmed that neither David or the Covenant are featured in the film at all. So what is the connection?

Rather, Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively confirm that the black goo (or accelerant as it is known in the expanded universe) is making a return in the film. A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation. Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

Alien: Romulus will also feature another huge connection to the original Alien film in the way of the inclusion of the previously mentioned Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2. Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

Following some general details that they posted yesterday, Scified has shared more specific details provided by V Scooper about Alien: Romulus. First is that the film will include a new weapon that looks similar to the iconic Pulse Rifle. This is another detail that Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can corroborate. White in colour, the new weapon shares many design elements with the M41A Pulse Rifle including the carry handle, and an underslung pump action.

The second upload that Scified shared today is something related to what we posted in our own intel about the connections between Alien: Romulus and the prequel films and the original Alien. This has been speculation that we’ve seen and enjoyed being posted on our message boards for some time, and we can now confirm the truth behind it. Big Chap’s remains are recovered at the start of Alien: Romulus.

Are you not entertained?

Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

gently caress offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ImpAtom posted:

Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

gently caress offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

digital necromancy of performers and it's consequences have been a disaster for film audiences.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed. Just use a living actor and save your budget for something else.

deoju fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 14, 2024

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed 100%. Hollywood needs to knock this lazy poo poo off.

Everything else about the movie sounds plausibly intriguing, though. On paper at least.

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I mean Mark Zuckerberg looks more and more like an android every day. ask him.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Doctor Zero posted:

I mean Mark Zuckerberg looks more and more like an android every day. ask him.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
See, the less believable thing about that is he would give sympathies.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Last Call posted:

Are you not entertained?

this is something, alright

just let it die already or give it to people who know how to make movies

and the loving ai necromancy bullshit is revolting, and entirely unsurprising given the current environment, but i still wish everyone who signed off on or contributed to it never worked again

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I have nothing to contribute other than saying that Romulus synopsis sounds like absolute dogshit and not anything I want from an Alien film.

gently caress sake, especially after Prey showed that you can make a great modern Predator movie if you just give people what they want.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They really just need to do a faithful adaptation of ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Last Call posted:

Are you not entertained?
No, I'm not. :haw:

This doesn't sound like a movie for a general audience, more like one for the kind of ubernerds who get excited that "Holy crap, we finally get to find out why the A2s were a bit twitchy!" Everything must be explained, everything must be connected. Is it going to be scary? Is it going to be exciting? Who knows, but there's a new white pulse rifle in it!

And yes, the idea of a digital Ian Holm leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Why do that? Why not just cast whoever the modern equivalent of Ian Holm is (Martin Freeman?) and say he's a different model of the same kind of synthetic?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Small Strange Bird posted:

And yes, the idea of a digital Ian Holm leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Why do that? Why not just cast whoever the modern equivalent of Ian Holm is (Martin Freeman?) and say he's a different model of the same kind of synthetic?

Burn Gorman, David Dastmalchian, Ben Mendelsohn, there's plenty of weird-looking guys who look like they could be a synthetic person.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I just want them to remember this is the terrifying space monster franchise, not the creepy space robot franchise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blade Runner: 2149

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, on second thought, I wonder how much budget is spent on digital face replacement for this Ash.

Dudes you could have spent that on any number of other cool atmospheric things.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It smacks of desperate "Remember when" sentiment.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

CGI necromancy of dead actors seems to be particularly obnoxious with recent Disney products.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Young Freud posted:

Burn Gorman, David Dastmalchian, Ben Mendelsohn, there's plenty of weird-looking guys who look like they could be a synthetic person.

If you want weird and synthetic looking you should look at some actresses nowadays.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Zadok Allen posted:

CGI necromancy of dead actors seems to be particularly obnoxious with recent Disney products.

Unpopular opinion: 'Kenobi' Vader voice (AI enhanced and blended or whatever) was a massive improvement over actual James Earl Jones Vader in 'Rogue One', who sounded like a fat man who'd run up trn flights of stairs.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

They really just need to do a faithful adaptation of ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’.

But David Bowie is dead too. :smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Torquemada posted:

Unpopular opinion: 'Kenobi' Vader voice (AI enhanced and blended or whatever) was a massive improvement over actual James Earl Jones Vader in 'Rogue One', who sounded like a fat man who'd run up trn flights of stairs.

we wouldn't have these situations at all if we just wrote better poo poo, but alas, that eats into the margins

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm so angry at all this I've released a juvenile Xeno on the Conference grounds so we can debate proper rankings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No, I'm not. :haw:

This doesn't sound like a movie for a general audience, more like one for the kind of ubernerds who get excited that "Holy crap, we finally get to find out why the A2s were a bit twitchy!" Everything must be explained, everything must be connected. Is it going to be scary? Is it going to be exciting? Who knows, but there's a new white pulse rifle in it!

Have an opening similar to that of the Ghost in the Shell title sequence, end it with the purchaser choosing the synthetic's appearance from a catalogue - one of the options is the "Ash" model.

There, solved.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
A friend ran Alien yesterday, and I am shocked - it holds up folks

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Haven't seen Alien in a minute but I remember it being a good rear end movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alien is one of the greatest horror sci fi films ever! It will always hold up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, what if we went back and redid the Alien with CGI?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrMojok posted:

Alien is one of the greatest horror sci fi films ever! It will always hold up.

You have said the actual truth.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, what if we went back and redid the Alien with CGI?

Stop giving Disney ideas.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Let's do a reality show where someone has been infected but nobody knows who.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the new modernized cut of Alien, we've gone all out to make it the ultimate Alien experience. Top of the line CGI and the use of AI voices and actors allow us to not only fix mistakes and improve scenes, but even add in new scenes designed to tie the Alien™ universe together. See Ash's new history with the David-type synthetics! Discover more about Parker's family, including his young nephew Alexander Apone. The new and improved "vents scene" will leave you stunned at the intense battle between Dallas and the Alien.

Other great new features:

All the computers have been updated to look more modern and in line with what we expect from computers in the year 2024!
Slight adjustments to blood and nudity to assure a PG-13 rating
A special 20 minute introduction detailing the story of the Engineer who crash landed on the planet and their final story.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There also a bunch of subtle nods to the Dark Horse comics such as a Terminator skull in the background

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Code Jockey posted:

A friend ran Alien yesterday, and I am shocked - it holds up folks

It absolutely still feels like a modern movie 99% of the time.

the 1% is when Ripley pushes Ash’s head down on the table which to be fair looked fake as hell in the theater too

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

In the new modernized cut of Alien, we've gone all out to make it the ultimate Alien experience. Top of the line CGI and the use of AI voices and actors allow us to not only fix mistakes and improve scenes, but even add in new scenes designed to tie the Alien™ universe together. See Ash's new history with the David-type synthetics! Discover more about Parker's family, including his young nephew Alexander Apone. The new and improved "vents scene" will leave you stunned at the intense battle between Dallas and the Alien.

Other great new features:

All the computers have been updated to look more modern and in line with what we expect from computers in the year 2024!
Slight adjustments to blood and nudity to assure a PG-13 rating
A special 20 minute introduction detailing the story of the Engineer who crash landed on the planet and their final story.

I love this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Burps

It's just gas, folks!