Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

It looked decently Cassette Futurism, but also a bit too sleek. I am just nitpicking here, since there were areas that looked almost out of Alien: Isolation.

Besides the body horror, one of my main draws is the retro Cassette Futurism of it. Prolly my fav sci-fi aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm fairly certain someone has already pointed out that The Queen Alien is now technically a Disney Princess.

Wouldn't it be a warrior? The Queen is ... well, a queen.

RE: Prometheus - I was disappointed in the :airquote: plot but I didn't hate it. I thought it was alright. Then I watched the deleted scenes and :tviv: the plot actually makes sense! Or at least more sense! I think it desperately needs an extended edition ala Alien and Aliens, but I doubt that will happen.

Short version: Watch the deleted scenes. I have NO idea why they cut those.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It looks cool. The plot details someone posted upthread sound like dogshit but then again I also kind of want to see Civil War, so I'm not above debasing myself for some stupidity just to see some fools get got by gangs of facehuggers.

Speaking of, what's that shot of something coming out of someone's mouth around halfway through? Could that be a successful facehugger removal operation?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

It looks cool. The plot details someone posted upthread sound like dogshit but then again I also kind of want to see Civil War, so I'm not above debasing myself for some stupidity just to see some fools get got by gangs of facehuggers.

Speaking of, what's that shot of something coming out of someone's mouth around halfway through? Could that be a successful facehugger removal operation?

I think it's a chestburster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mister Speaker posted:

If so, I think thematically and canonically the way to script and shoot it is so that it's inches from "successful." Get the audience on the edge of their seats for a rare win we never seen before. Then it all goes tits up and the guy gets suddenly and fangoriously Marichek, John J'ed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This looks like an actual Alien movie. Good. I've been wanting one for many years.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

You can see the legs, breathing sacs and tail so its definitely a facehugger being removed from someone. Guess we won't know if the victim survives or not or whether implantation was successful until we can see the film.

Pretty decent nightmare fuel though, being chased by a swarm of facehuggers. It's bad enough in the games where you're armed to the teeth and have to face more than one.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm fairly certain someone has already pointed out that The Queen Alien is now technically a Disney Princess.

I'm still waiting for the day Princess Alien marches down the road in Disney World giving little kids special easter eggs. Might need a wagon to pull the egg.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I'm just glad to see the Star Trek crossover is finally happening.

Only a matter of time until we get an official Star Wars Aliens crossover.

Try to run away from an Alien who can use the Force to keep you in place.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Small Strange Bird posted:

Well, that sure looks like an Alien movie with aliens and alien accessories.

'Dangit Bishop, you know I got a narrow ovipositor...'

'RightriiiiiightrightrightrightRIGHTrightRightRightrightrightright, man' -Bretthower

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I think it's a chestburster.

Nah, at the very start of the shot you see a Facehugger's 'fingers.'

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

'Dangit Bishop, you know I got a narrow ovipositor...'

'RightriiiiiightrightrightrightRIGHTrightRightRightrightrightright, man' -Bretthower

Peggy Hill's thing where she says "Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank, and God said to me, "Don't do it. " But you know what? I knew better." does a remarkably good job of encapsulating the Alien franchise as a whole.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Interesting interview.

https://x.com/THR/status/1770482790850875702?s=20

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mad Hamish posted:

Peggy Hill's thing where she says "Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank, and God said to me, "Don't do it. " But you know what? I knew better." does a remarkably good job of encapsulating the Alien franchise as a whole.

Pen-Day-Ho - Peggy Hill with red bandana

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Is Romulus going to end with a horrible CGI Sigourney Weaver getting the plans to the Death Star getting a copy of the transmission?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Doctor Zero posted:

Is Romulus going to end with a horrible CGI Sigourney Weaver getting the plans to the Death Star getting a copy of the transmission?

Nah its gonna be Jonesy and they're gonna turn to the camera with shifty-eyes before boarding the Nostromo with an 8-track in their mouth

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doctor Zero posted:

"What is it?"

*cgi ghoul yaphet koto smiling* "the bonus situation"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I kinda like the horde of facehuggers. That's a kind of terror I never really considered. the AvP bullet time scene doesn't count, that was dumb as hell

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They think Dale may be infected

"If you’re gonna shoot me I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, cause he’ll put me down clean."

---

Dale flies around in a shuttle with a giant dead facehugger decoration on the roof

---

Peggy steps up in the loader

Ho Yeah!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Teaser looks ok. Seems like I'm the only one not excited about Alvarez directing it. I mean the Evil Dead remake has its fans but I thought it was bland and forgettable and I hope Romulus doesn't follow suit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

zenguitarman posted:

I kinda like the horde of facehuggers. That's a kind of terror I never really considered. the AvP bullet time scene doesn't count, that was dumb as hell

I literally shouted in panic when I saw that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thought it looked great, though obviously with some real direct homages.

I'd like to just see another Alien R rated horror movie. No big story, no mythology, just some Xenos hunting down folks.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Why Romulus? Why not Romeo and Julia?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Trailer looked real good visually.

Time will tell. :shrug:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Kinda curious about that pulse rifle:

Considering the film takes place before Alien, I'd figure the design is meant to be an earlier make of the weapon, though the white paintjob makes me think it could belong to Weyland Commandos, who are typically depicted as carrying around white-colored gear:

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the station gets a visit by some WY mercs who get murked partway through the film

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Speculation:

The Space Station is filled with the embryos/hugger eggs that were on the Covenant. Or David experimented on the Covenant crew and the alien has reached it's permanent natural life cycle - there must now be a Queen laying eggs somewhere.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Romulus is supposed to completely ignore all … that.

Thank god.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Romulus is supposed to completely ignore all … that.

Thank god.

Well then how is it a prequel??

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
the cool idea in prometheus and especially convenant is that your creations or children grow to hate you, the engineers with humanity and humanity with david. That David tweaks the xenos to be more efficient killers, partly out of contempt for humanity but also just for his own fascination, is really interesting as a metaphor for human nature, and our treatment of our environment and fellows.

the role of strong women as mother figures and the lack of respect they earn is amplified by david loving dissecting shaw between the two movies

then you have billy crudup loving up regularly out of pride and insecurity in his faith adds another layer of :thunk: as to the role of religion and faith in our relationship with our creator

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ChickenHeart posted:

Considering the film takes place before Alien, I'd figure the design is meant to be an earlier make of the weapon, though the white paintjob makes me think it could belong to Weyland Commandos, who are typically depicted as carrying around white-colored gear:

What? I thought it was supposed to take place between Alien and Aliens.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

More Seinfeld/Aliens mashup memes please.

George: Game ovah! GAME OVAH, BABY!

Also, trailer looked really good.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Linux Pirate posted:

It looked decently Cassette Futurism, but also a bit too sleek. I am just nitpicking here, since there were areas that looked almost out of Alien: Isolation.

Besides the body horror, one of my main draws is the retro Cassette Futurism of it. Prolly my fav sci-fi aesthetic.

This was my take too, it really looks like it could be set on Sevastopol. I know how ridiculous that sounds given how Isolation was obsessed with nailing that authentic Nostromo aesthetic and feel but 90% of the trailer just gave me live action Isolation vibes more than anything else, it's kinda weird.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

"They mostly come out at night, Jerry"
"Mostly?"
(funny kramer noises and gestures)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bing usually won't let you create AI images using real people, but it was for a while perfectly happy to let you inflict any indignity you liked upon George Costanza.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Shooting Blanks posted:

What? I thought it was supposed to take place between Alien and Aliens.

According to wikipedia, you are correct. Also if the insultingly stupid leaked plot details are to be believed, it is definitely post-Alien.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Small Strange Bird posted:

Bing usually won't let you create AI images using real people, but it was for a while perfectly happy to let you inflict any indignity you liked upon George Costanza.

It was supposed to be the Summer of George!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It looks about what I'd expect from a modern non- Scott Alien movie. If you replaced all the Alien iconography (corridor, monsters, gun, typeface) with anything else, it'd be straight to video.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MarcusSA posted:

Well then how is it a prequel??

It can ignore it (in the sense of just not mentioning it) and still be a prequel.

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized. That doesn't happen in a couple hundred years. I have no issue with David finding the tech and loving with it, but to imply that he created xenomorphs is ridiculous.

Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons? (in the cut scenes they had him transform into Xenomorph hybrid which made way more sense.) It's just full of dumb Hollywood "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that again, don't make any freaking sense in the context of the other movies.

Don't even get me started on the whole implying that Jesus was a 12 foot bald porcelain skinned engineer.

Again, I actually like the movie, but more as a "What if" than anything canon. I really hope the whole concept fades away and goes to live with Midichlorians.

Fake edit: Oh, and the Engineers are humanoid instead of this unfathomable alien that is one of the most unique and baffling aliens on film. Bleh. "I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT SO gently caress IT IT'S A SUIT." :rolleyes:

Fake edit edit: Oh gently caress I completely blocked the goddamn disembodied head that is still alive and explodes into goo for .... who the gently caress even knows anymore. :fuckoff:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 21, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Again, I actually like the movie, but more as a "What if" than anything canon. I really hope the whole concept fades away and goes to live with Midichlorians.

I’ve got some probably-bad news for you about midichlorians M-Count.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doctor Zero posted:

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized.

The ship commandeered by Shaw and David in Prometheus is already literally ancient, being over 2000 years old. The alien suits used are, likewise, over 2000 years old. They even find a frozen alien who’s over 2000 years old, so they obviously have easy access to ancient stuff.

There is no such thing as an ancient fossil, however, since fossils are by definition older than what we classify as “ancient”. The characters in Alien are speaking informally, since Jokey appears mummified but not necessarily fossilized. Mummification is a process that can happen very quickly, and there’s no way to just look at a mummy and automatically know that it’s over 10,000 years old.

“Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons?”

The reason is that those are all different species.

“Don't even get me started on the whole implying that Jesus was a 12 foot bald porcelain skinned engineer.”

That’s not implied in the movie.

“Oh gently caress I completely blocked the goddamn disembodied head that is still alive and explodes into goo for .... who the gently caress even knows anymore.”

The head is not alive. The aliens remains were kept preserved by the dangerous nanotechnology. The scientists zap the head with a small electrical charge, as part of a test. This accidentally ‘reawakens’ the goo, which proceeds to violently disintegrate the head.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.